• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Durarara!! Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything that made Baccano! an unforgettable attack of cinematic anarchy is toned down in Durarara!!. Its characters are less outrageously fun, the pace more relaxed, the humor lighter and more understated. The violence is less extreme (not that it could be anything else), the sex more or less gone...

Really? I don't recall there being sex in Baccano at all and I've watched the series twice. Sure there were a number of couples there but the only time it might come to mind was when they were on the ship and that wasn't even in the same timeline.

Back to DRRR, love the summary of it at the top, and I think that Durarara is a spiritual successor to Baccano (even though it does have a small crossover or two). I also didn't think it was toned down tons, part of it was that there a more episodes so they could space out the arcs a little more and I was glad at the lack of blood when compared to Baccano here actually.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
*facepalm* Yeah, I forgot to mention that too. Sex in Baccano!? Where? Off screen, perhaps (spoiler[Claire and Chane] apparently have gobs of kids in the future), but none in the show. Indeed, there's as much if not more romance in Durarara!!, with an extra level of kink thrown in one of the relationships when you remember that Celty has no head and spoiler[Shinra thinks this is hot!]
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I love this show so much. It has jumped instantly on to my top 5 favourite anime of all time list! I marathoned (the brilliant) Baccano! in one sitting a few days prior to starting DRRR!! You certainly can't deny the resemblance (for all the obvious reasons) but I think DRRR!! trumps Baccano! in many areas and one is as below....
vashfanatic wrote:
And you must not slash him [Izaya] with Shizuo, fangirls! Never, never, NEVER!.
brb, loling forever.
You really can't call yourself a true fangirl if you don't ship them... well at least the 6060 24時間戦争コンビ tags and the 5548 シズイザ tags out of the total 42716 デュラララ!! tags on Pixiv think so anyways. Laughing

Also, in regards to the 'the sex more or less gone...' comment Carl made I think he was possibly not referring to the fact that Baccano! had more actual physical/explicit sex, but rather that it had more sex appeal/raunchiness?

Gahh, all those exclamation marks...
Otaking09

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Considering that I only really appreciated Baccano! once it ended, I guess that means Durarara! will be more up my alley?
Though it was because of the ending that I was able to love the OVA sequel episodes that followed.

Judging from Carl's review, Durarara has the "ompf" that made Baccano! but channels it into something... we've seen before. It works, but it feels underplayed, which, ultimately, makes it inferior.

Carl's basically saying it's just a fun show.

I haven't seen any of Durarara! yet and even though I want to, this review just reassures me that nothing "special" will happen.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's impossible, while watching Durarara!!, to avoid comparing it to Baccano!.

I found it astoundingly easy, since I hadn't seen Baccano till I was halfway through Durarara, and only then because people kept going on about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I haven't seen any of Durarara! yet and even though I want to, this review just reassures me that nothing "special" will happen.

This review was incredibly positive and described Durarara!! as a grown up version of Baccano! How is that negative? Did you even read the review? You got the completely wrong summary of it, he recommends this! And I don't know what you mean by "special," but the finale of the first half is awesome as heck. It's up on crunchyroll, go watch it for yourself. While it has stylistic resonances with Baccano!, it isn't anything been-there-done-that.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm echoing the "Izaya is MEANT to be a jerkwad" mentality. It's refreshing to have a Joker-esque villain that just wants to make a bunch of crap happen for the hell of it. And let's face it, Baccano! had it's share of unmitigated jerkwads as well.
ayashe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Izaya is awesome. Anyone who thinks he detracts from the show just doesn't get it.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I hate about Durarara is the score. It's so bad that it is distracting, and it doesn't fit the show at all.

Everything else is great. The pacing is great, the characters are great, and the story is great. Being toned down from Bacanno is a good thing for sure.

Best show of the past couple of years (since Gurren Lagann probably)
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
So....wait. Izaya being a troll per usual is.......a bad thing...?

Reviewer credibility = gone.
Beryl7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
yeah, Orihara is supposed to be a jerkwad. You must hate him! And you must not slash him with Shizuo, fangirls! Never, never, NEVER!

THANK YOU. After browsing through Durarara! images the past few days, that "pairing" has composed about 80% of what I've found. No more, please.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
The only thing I hate about Durarara is the score. It's so bad that it is distracting, and it doesn't fit the show at all.

I find it to be kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes it's distracting, sometimes it's perfect. It's definitely not as awesome as Baccano!'s, and probably won't count as Yoshimori Makoto's best work (he's also done Koi Kaze, Gakuen Alice, and Natsume Yuujinchou).

@Beryl7
Well, apparently in-universe the uber-otaku Erika actually 'ships them, and it's lampshaded in one of his other works that crosses over with Durarara!! (apparently they're all in the same 'verse), where a succubus attempts to seduce Shizuo using Izaya's form, thinking his rage is suppressed lust. She's very, very wrong. I think Narita is actually making fun of fujoshi and they just aren't getting the message.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Izaya is the character you love to hate.
He's such an ass but I love him so~~! That's what makes him so interesting. I've heard that he's even worse in the novels.

Shizuo x Izaya FTW! Razz
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Shizuo x Izaya FTW! Razz

I don't see how, even in horrible fanfiction, you fangirls could even think of matching those two together....

It's like... Niko Bellic x Dmitri Rascalov. :< Even in your dreams and fantasies...it ain't happening.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

I don't see how, even in horrible fanfiction, you fangirls could even think of matching those two together....

Erika thought of it first!

Apparently the staff name (which the VAs are aware of as well) for those two is "Bacon Lettuce," and someone else pointed out that it does get lampshaded in a later book so Narita is aware of it as well. Not surprising though, there's at least one pairing like this in every fandom I can think of, sure there was some weird shipping going on in Baccano! as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3