• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PW: Viz Media Lays Off Up to 60, Closes NY Branch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
This really sucks big time. Viz is one of the major powers in the anime industry in the USA.

I just pray they do not end up going out of business.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:
This really sucks big time. Viz is one of the major powers in the anime industry in the USA.

I just pray they do not end up going out of business.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I couldn't agree more. I thought Viz was doing well. I just started buying the Rurouni Kenshin big 3-in-1 manga megavolumes. I just bought the second megavolume! Viz, don't go out of business yet!! Shocked
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
This month, Viz put out 33 volumes. Yen Press put out 13. Tokyopop put out 15. Del Rey put out 5.

A cookie to anyone who notices the problem with that picture. Very Happy
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
This is sad for all those who lost their jobs... :cry: However, I have been having a sneaking suspicion they were not doing as well financially. Shonen Jump is 50 pages less than it previously was and the release dates between volumes has been cut back for various titles (Gin Tama, Hoshin Engi). I wonder how this will effect their current titles (i.e. will any be dropped?) and how this will effect their Shonen Jump and Sigikki manga anthologies. I hope this doesn't mean they will drop any of their current titles, they have many quality ones.

I think the issue is that some manga titles are starting to come out faster than Viz releases the chapters in Shounen Jump, which results in a less incentive for us consumers to actually pick up these title. I mean, logically speaking, why bother picking up the magazine when the whole volume will come out shortly after? It's not like Japan where things generally get published once a month and the volumes follow essentially 3-6 months after...

Honestly, Shonen Jump is a terrible magazine. Beyond the manga, there is no reason to buy it. There's no quality editorials, they have useless Yugioh! card info, and some of the poorest excuses for content I've ever seen (Top 5 Manga Destinations? Get real).
skafreak51

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
well crap, did why is this happening?

that's really disheartening- I'm just hoping it's the anime part of the company that started going downhill since they haven't put out too much.

I really want the sales of manga in the US to be good =/

this was a bad time to get into the business...
skafreak51

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
I'm a bit shocked Shocked . But I agree with some that they rely too much on their Jump titles. Although I should have seen this coming after they dropped Shojo Beat and dropped the page count on Jump. I'm just hopeing that don't cancel Kurohime or Strawberry 100%.

Sorry for the double post, but Kurohime was canceled about a year ago. They ended it with volume 14.

It's the first Jump title (though, it's Monthly,) that was canceled.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
This month, Viz put out 33 volumes. Yen Press put out 13. Tokyopop put out 15. Del Rey put out 5.

This is exactly what I was wondering a few weeks ago! I'm sad my speculation came true... Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well that bites, I just hope it doesn't effect any of the manga or anime I'm collecting from them, namely Black Lagoon, Claymore, and Dogs: Bullets and Carnage on the manga side and Bleach, Monster, Naruto Shippuden, and the upcomming Vampire Knight on the anime side of things.

Jaymie wrote:

Ummm....all the numbers are odd instead of even? Razz

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed May 12, 2010 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
comicozi

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Yeah, that really doesn't sound good. VIZ has always been the powerhouse of the industry, with the popular Jump series. Seeing them lay off a chunk of their work force is disheartening, and puts things into perspective.

it doesnt put things into perspective. they have some of the most popular manga series right now. they are just being like any other big business and want to put as much profit in their pocket with the least amount of expense possible. period end of story. >.>
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Alright, this is bad news, and I've already been worried about the industry over here for a while, but I won't seriously start freaking out until Funimation starts to have problems.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

The numbers sum up to 66, which means they're 2/3 closer to their doomsday?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Sigh one more hit for anime
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Jaymie wrote:

The numbers sum up to 66, which means they're 2/3 closer to their doomsday?

The numbers sum up to twice the Viz total. Flip that around, Viz is half the market in terms of releases.

So it can't duck out of the way of a downturn hitting the whole market. (and as listed above - its a "perfect storm" downturn, with the downturn in the economy, the problems faced by retailers in the channels that publishers sell print, and the loss in entertainment market share by manga ... three events that all pull the same direction).

If they cut down staff, that means they will be doing less stuff, which means fewer volumes of mango and fewer series of anime.

If they are successful in picking things to continue to do that pay their own way - and if there are enough things to do that pay their own way - they'll do OK for the medium term. Like everyone else, the long term will depend on the general health of the industry as a whole.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Lately... I feel they're a bit too focused on Shonen Jump/action titles and have lost quite a bit of their old core audience.

Eeeeh, I don't know about this. Vampire Knight. Nana. Honey and Clover. Monster. Most recently, Cross game. None of these fit that SJ pigeonhole.

Quote:
Bleach and Naruto just haven't been as big as Dragon Ball was (circa 8 years ago).

Last I heard, Naruto was the best-selling title for them. If anything, they wish for more successes like that title.

KanjiiZ wrote:

Honestly, Shonen Jump is a terrible magazine. Beyond the manga, there is no reason to buy it.

Er: The manga is the entire point of the magazine.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
No, not Viz Media too. It seems like several companies are struggling. :(

I really hope this isn't as bad as it seems, because Viz Media and Funimation may be the only companies in the United States of America that license anime and usually give the licensed series English audio tracks.

Geneon is gone, like ADV and Central Park media, Bang Zoom is likely stop dubbing anime all together, possibily and Bandai and Media Blasters typically license anime subtitle only these days. Same with Sentai, save a couple of titles.

60% is a giant number to lay off people, which I really don't want to see and to close the New York Branch isn't good news either. Viz Media also is the only company that I usually buy manga from, with the exception of Tokyo Pop.

I am very optimistic that Viz Media will pull through, but if Viz Media does go either chapter seven or chapter eleven, the anime industry will be a serious and I mean serious trouble. Hopefully that never happens though.

Because if that does happen, Funimation may be the only anime company other than 4kids to produce an English audio track in the United States of America. Maybe other companies may pop up, but Viz Media and Funimation are in my opinion the best anime companies in today's market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6