• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to the NHK (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Misaki is not the angel of sweetness and light that some of these comments suggest, especially in the manga. I think she has more serious problems than Satou-kun, and that's saying a lot. Elsewhere I once described her as a spoiler[loony stalker dressed as a moe cutie].

This is true. Both Sato and Misaki spoiler[have serious mental issues. Misaki was a victim of severe abuse and and suffers from depression. Her initial motives are quite self-serving even if they also benefit Sato, but then she comes to rely on him and even fall in love. In the end the two of them find they need each other in their lives to balance out their own idiosyncrasies.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if Misaki is self serving. Any girl who spoiler[will help clean up a guy's shit-stained underwear] (that's some spoiler ain't it?) and still hang out with him is made of more pure stuff than I am.
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I don't care if Misaki is self serving. Any girl who spoiler[will help clean up a guy's shit-stained underwear] (that's some spoiler ain't it?) and still hang out with him is made of more pure stuff than I am.

So true. I feel bad for Misaki, Sato treated her pretty bad sometimes. Who does that to a cute (2D girls are the best by the way) girl who wants to hang out with you and "save" you?
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
By_the_Jelly_Beans? wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

So true. I feel bad for Misaki, Sato treated her pretty bad sometimes. Who does that to a cute (2D girls are the best by the way) girl who wants to hang out with you and "save" you?

How far are you in the series??

As Yuna49 said, Misaki has a hidden agenda and her own problems as well.

I gotta admit I haven't seen the anime yet, but in the manga Misaki is like the worst character. She's just a total manipulative and unstable girl who needs Satou because spoiler[in her eyes, he is inferior to her, so she ain't so bad when you hang out with the lowest kind of people you could ever meet. When Satou starts making progress, she doesn't want him to change at all.]

Now, that's not my definition of "Angel". But once again, maybe in the anime things are different. Another example, in the manga Misaki spoiler[wasn't abused as a child, that was a story she made up.]

I just liked her at the beginning, but most of the time I just couldn't stand that character. The rest of the cast is much better.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Anime Misaki is not nearly as bad as manga Misaki, and she is definetly not lying about the spoiler[abuse]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
Another example, in the manga Misaki spoiler[wasn't abused as a child, that was a story she made up.]

It's been awhile since I watched the series but I am pretty sure the anime changed this so that spoiler[the abuse was real].
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:

I gotta admit I haven't seen the anime yet, but in the manga Misaki is like the worst character. She's just a total manipulative and unstable girl who needs Satou because spoiler[in her eyes, he is inferior to her, so she ain't so bad when you hang out with the lowest kind of people you could ever meet. When Satou starts making progress, she doesn't want him to change at all.]

Now, that's not my definition of "Angel". But once again, maybe in the anime things are different. Another example, in the manga Misaki spoiler[wasn't abused as a child, that was a story she made up.]

I just liked her at the beginning, but most of the time I just couldn't stand that character. The rest of the cast is much better.

The first part follows into the anime, the second part is changed. I've only seen the Anime as I read little manga except for series that I have already seen and want to know the ending. (aka Berserk, Spice & Wolf, Claymore)

I guess I don't find Misaki all that bad because I've ment so many people out there like her. In the anime during one of the lessons spoiler[Misaki even tells him the secret with dealing with people. Something along the lines of think whoever you are talking to inferior to you. (Which you already pointed out is why she needs Sato.) I want to say this conversation lead to her giving examples of people degrading strangers on the internet. Why? So they can feel better off than someone else....in other words everybody does it.]

Of course she might be a whole lot worse in the manga but seeing that the anime had a descent ending I honestly most likely will not read it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Of course she might be a whole lot worse in the manga

Fairly early in the manga we see her spoiler[tapping Satou's phone.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:06 am Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

How far are you in the series??

As Yuna49 said, Misaki has a hidden agenda and her own problems as well.

The original novel and the anime end with spoiler[Sato traveling to Misaki's home town and stopping her from jumping and then he signs the 2nd "contract" that essentially makes them a couple.] Anything after that the manga made up, I'm not sure if the novel's author was the one who wrote the manga's story or not, since I haven't read it.
By_the_Jelly_Beans?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Fairly early in the manga we see her spoiler[tapping Satou's phone.]

Wow, now that is a conspiracy. She obviously a government spy sent to watch and manipulate Sato to see if there was a way to "cure" them.

The government also must be the one that got the Class Pres. spoiler[involved in the triangle scheme and latter collapsed it, all to see the affect it would have on her brother.]

Even Sato's friend next door, running into his other high school friend, everything was CONSPIRACY against Sato?! AAAAHHHH!....or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

@Kruszer
I took the ending as

spoiler[The pack saying that they would stay together. So you had the growth of the characters and both admitting that they were messed up but still needed someone else. Cause everybody needs somebody to love.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Having seen the anime first, I think it was all the deviations that the manga took which made me eventually give up on it. The anime characters aren't even close to being admirable but they are likeable and I do think of them all fondly.

Also, I think any "official" discussion thread about the series needs to have a mention of how good Chris Patton is in the role of Satou. The rest of the voices are decent too but he is the main reason I generally will watch this series dubbed (the other reason being that I prefer watching dubs if they are good, so that I can do other things while I watch).

I feel the great need to put my DVDs of this series on now.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
From what you're telling me people, it seems the anime is a vastly different and (probably) better product . I'll check it out, then.

I like WTNHK! concept, it just the way they made Misaki in the manga what drives me nuts. Specially knowing she's the main girl and all. I wouldn't mind her that much if she was a supporting character.

Anyway, how come there wasn't a thread about this series before? I thought it was kind of popular and stuff Razz
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Also, I think any "official" discussion thread about the series needs to have a mention of how good Chris Patton is in the role of Satou. The rest of the voices are decent too but he is the main reason I generally will watch this series dubbed (the other reason being that I prefer watching dubs if they are good, so that I can do other things while I watch).

I second that. He put so much emotion in it. Great work.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
Anyway, how come there wasn't a thread about this series before? I thought it was kind of popular and stuff Razz
Things slip through the cracks -- and you were not the only one who was surprised.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I think when it first aired we didn't have quite as many show-specific threads as we do now but I'm not entirely sure. It definitely is a fairly popular series from what I can tell though, enough so that it was picked up by Funi pretty fast after ADV went bust.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3