• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! 2010-08-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsukikage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
I definitely enjoyed the strip, but I can't say anime isn't guilty of the same thing.
Somewhat relatedly, the penis car reminded me of Utena.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
MAN GUNS? Perfect movie for Heavy to star in.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
The funny part is next week's box office looks exactly like this comic (Eat Pray Love, The Expendables), sans the period piece (poor scott...).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
tsukikage wrote:
I definitely enjoyed the strip, but I can't say anime isn't guilty of the same thing.
Somewhat relatedly, the penis car reminded me of Utena.

Yeah, I think that's something people who are eager to jump on the "bash US entertainment" train are missing. If you look back, ANN-Nina has been poking fun similarly at anime all along. It's a comic, that's what happens, just the same as "The Simpsons" so eagerly jumps on every stereotype known to man for the purpose of humor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
"De Mongorians!! Dey coming!!"

I read this strip again just now and it still cracks me up. Just wanted to say that.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
Hm... Sex in the City 2, Jonah Hex and Avatar*** (the actual one, not Cameron's hijacking of the copyright, lol).

Welcome back, Robin. We missed you. Hope the wedding went well. Smile

***this is, of course, assuming the parodies are of movies that have been released, rather than ones about to be released...
Kanthia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
Have to say I found the pulling-at-the-corners-of-the-eyes deal a little offensive -- I haven't seen that done since the Spanish basketball fiasco during the Beijing Olympics. But if you're really keen on beating the dead horse that is The Last Airbender, I guess it's all fair game.
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah. This strip kida hit the nail on the head as far as the offerings coming out of Hollywood latley.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Is Legend of the White Minority based off a fairly anime-ish cartoon series?

^_~

The Hollywood tradition of white people playing orientals goes back decades. It was extremely prevalent during the 40s. A classic example is the various Fu Manchu impersonations. There was a documentary about run on PBS's American Masters series last year called Hollywood Chinese.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
What an awesome way to make your return, people would think I am crazy laughing so maniacally at work, if there was anyone else here this early...

That exact situation has happened to me before. The last time I went to a movie theater was when the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie came out. Yeah, that should tell y'all all ya need to know about where I stand on the "quality" of movies coming out these days.

That being said it seems to be the same with anime these days. Luckily enough anime comes out every year that there are enough good ones in the sea of garbage to keep me occupied.
Dorian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Is Legend of the White Minority based off a fairly anime-ish cartoon series?

^_~

The Hollywood tradition of white people playing orientals goes back decades. It was extremely prevalent during the 40s. A classic example is the various Fu Manchu impersonations. There was a documentary about run on PBS's American Masters series last year called Hollywood Chinese.

A few examples out of many:

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror (1956)

Swedish actor Warner Oland as Charlie Chan in 16 movies (1931-37) and American Sidney Toler, primarily Scottish decent, in 11 more movies through 1942.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Even though I understand the rest of the misspellings are intentionally there to demonstrate that none of these guys have any business pretending to be Asians, the ancient land in question would actually be under "siege," not "seige." I before E and all that.

What's telling about the strip is which characters object to what. Neither Nina nor Kevin has any objections whatsoever to the first movie. The second movie--which is clearly the best and I just bought my ticket--is opposed by both girls. We assume they all object to the final choice, and so they decide to watch anime instead.

But not just ANY anime. Anime involving an elementary school girl in a sailor suit with purple hair and a cute animal mascot! The lesson learned: by being a hater, the diehard moe addict of the group can control the rest!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
j03b0b0fd00m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
MAN GUNS? Perfect movie for Heavy to star in.

Yeah, That's what I thought when I saw it say "Konspicuous Konsumption" (eat 100 sandviches)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
Dorian wrote:
John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror (1956)

Widely agreed, among historians with a penchant for cinema, to be the worst "historical" film ever made. Not that it isn't entertaining, in spots, though, in a sort of painful way.

- abunai
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
Welcome back Robin, I hope the time off was relaxing and non stressful. Great comic as always though.

But yeah, Hollywood movies, what a train wreck subject. I don't see a lot of them because of quality issues and the last three movies I've seen where Iron Man I and II and Beverley Hills Chihuahua.

Both Iron Man were exceptionally awesome and were filled with action. Would have preferred more action and less romance, but the explosions made up for it.

As for Beverley Hills Chihuahua, I only watched the movie to see talking Chihuahua's and that is about it. I just wish the movie was slightly longer and had more time spent on the chihuahua's.

Overall, great comic Robin. I look forward to the next comic. Thanks for all your hard work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4