• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, August 1-7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
WolfLoner wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Is anyone getting the impression that there's a lot more turnover than usual?

No Rolling Eyes and what turnover is that?

I am looking here for 2010 total manga sells in total, you know how the manga publishers blame the lack of sells on the manga Scanlations group well i am looking for the actually numbers, which may prove them wrong.

And of course manga publishers actions on the manga scanlations groups will hurt them.

Anyone here going to take any bets?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Labyrinth

Where probably looking at sales of 10,000 at the most for most succesful manga not named Naruto. Let's be blunt the only reason One Manga, and other sites like it existed was to profit off of the work of others.

Your delusional if you think that the manga and anime industry can survive when it's being attacked by not only aggregator but it's fans as wel.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow.

Seeing Labyrinth only sold ~2000 copies of its first couple of volumes and seeing it place #4 on this list is really revealing of the market nowadays.

Wow. I knew sales of manga weren't all that high, but wow. That really puts it in perspective from the millions of hits that aggregator websites receive monthly.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Your delusional if you think that the manga and anime industry can survive when it's being attacked by not only aggregator but it's fans as wel.

Doesn't help the fact that the Japanese are Xenophobic and neither side wants to compromise with each other.

Then again, I would like to see how Yen Press titles have fared given both them and TOKYOPOP pretty much fired the first salvos in the whole Scanlation mess.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Um... dare I even ask this...? Why are 2 of these 10 titles not even manga? As in, they were originally written in English by English speakers, have nothing to do with Japan, and in one case is based on an English-written series? What are the standards for inclusion in this list?
Could it be that they are licensed by a company that also license/release Manga in North America?

Then why has Twilight (YenPress) never been included on this list? I mean, what is the definition of "manga" they're using? Personally, mine is "was it originally published in Japan and in Japanese?" If yes, it is manga; if no, it's an English language graphic novel/comic book and should be on a list with similar works in order for any real comparison to be made (they'd all eat Darkest Night's dust).
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Then why has Twilight (YenPress) never been included on this list?

Twilight isn't on this list because its a Hardcover book. Those get their own list. It says it right in the article:
Quote:
Young C. Kim's graphic novel adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight vampire novel rose from #9 to #8 in its 21st week on the separate Hardcover Graphic Books list.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Doesn't help the fact that the Japanese are Xenophobic and neither side wants to compromise with each other.

Then again, I would like to see how Yen Press titles have fared given both them and TOKYOPOP pretty much fired the first salvos in the whole Scanlation mess.

I am pretty sure that the reason the japanese hate Sankaku Complex's fanbase has more to do with the greedy thieves than the fact that their americans. I think the Japanese have a right to hate these people who care only about themselves and who are leeches who profit from the support the Japanese give their industry.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Um... dare I even ask this...? Why are 2 of these 10 titles not even manga? As in, they were originally written in English by English speakers, have nothing to do with Japan, and in one case is based on an English-written series? What are the standards for inclusion in this list?
Could it be that they are licensed by a company that also license/release Manga in North America?

Then why has Twilight (YenPress) never been included on this list? I mean, what is the definition of "manga" they're using? Personally, mine is "was it originally published in Japan and in Japanese?" If yes, it is manga; if no, it's an English language graphic novel/comic book and should be on a list with similar works in order for any real comparison to be made (they'd all eat Darkest Night's dust).

Yeah, that definition works for you. But for this list they may have a simpler definition: either any graphic novel released by certain companies OR any graphic novel that the publisher lists as "manga" (and OELs, normally being listed either as OEL manga or just manga, fit this definition). They further get separated by hardcover or softcover (because that's a standard book-separating line). Hence, all softcover Yen Press stuff would end up on this list (Maximum Ride and Nightschool pop up every now and then) while Twilight, being hardcover, goes to the other list. I presume Bleach 1 would be on both lists: this one for the regular edition and the list Twilight is on for the newer hardcover edition.

Nothing to get all worked up over. I do wonder, though, if this New York Times Manga list is really just the Softcover Graphic Novel list in disguise minus stuff like Watchmen.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Twilight isn't on this list because its a Hardcover book. Those get their own list.

Ah. Did not catch that.

Quote:
I do wonder, though, if this New York Times Manga list is really just the Softcover Graphic Novel list in disguise minus stuff like Watchmen.

Exactly my point! The OEL "manga" are English language graphic novels/comic books, just like everything pushed out by DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, etc. and should be put in that category. Publishers decide to somehow redefine them as "manga" because... well, I don't know why. It certainly makes their sales look better if you don't have to compare them to the real heavy-hitters in this country.

(I say this as someone who has nothing against English-language comic books whatsoever; Fun Home is better literature than anything I've ever read from Japan, and I've never wept like I did at the end of the Sandman Chronicles.)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I think the Japanese have a right to hate these people who care only about themselves and who are leeches who profit from the support the Japanese give their industry.

And I think the Internet do have a point when Xenophobic morons don't know when to profit from a situation instead of turning the situation into a literal sh*tstorm.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

And I think the Internet do have a point when Xenophobic morons don't know when to profit from a situation instead of turning the situation into a literal sh*tstorm.

Your demanding the impossible, and then you claim that the people who actually give a crap about the industry are "xenophobic morons"
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 am Reply with quote
Do you think the New York Times cares about what's from Japan and what's not? Warriors and Return to Labyrinth are both done in manga style, and they're released by Tokyopop, so they put it on the manga list. Period.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Do you think the New York Times cares about what's from Japan and what's not? Warriors and Return to Labyrinth are both done in manga style, and they're released by Tokyopop, so they put it on the manga list. Period.

What the hell is "manga style"? Please go look at Nihei Tsutomu, Rumiko Takahashi, Osamu Tezuka, Katsuhiro Otomo, Riyoko Ikeda, and Hiroaki Samura, and tell me how any of those are the same "style." About the only thing they have in common is that they are all black and white - but so are plenty of Western comic books and graphic novels at this point. There is no such thing as "manga style." That's just BS companies say to try to get idiot manga readers who otherwise turn up their noses at anything in native English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2