• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Xam'd: Lost Memories DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Mytopia wrote:

Also, ANN should really be reviewing the Blu-Ray, rather than a DVD volume, really. Many things that apparent in the DVD releases obviously will not be present in the Blu-Ray, as the show was originally aired in 1080p HD. If ANN are a "respected news [or review] source", then how come they couldn't get a copy of the Blu-Ray release? Did Sentai not trust them, or did ANN not request them? Either way, the BD is what most people will be interested in, or will be considering buying!

Sentai sent us the DVD. I'm not sure they're even sending out bluray screeners.

Your insulting overreaction is just great though thanks!
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I only got through around five eps. before it was licensed, but I wasn't impressed by it at all due to many of the reasons pointed out in the reveiw. I like homages and all, but Xam'd's felt too derivative and not very original. BONES has a long history of doing homages in their work, especially in their mecha ones, and usually does well in implementing them, yet still making them their own. I never got that in Xam'd, and while I felt the nods, it also just felt like they were building the show with those pieces instead of making ones that stood on their own. And a big bulk of what I saw was like that. The story seemed to have lots of potential (especially with the religious fundamentalism), but nothing really happened, nor were the characters particularily original or likable (maybe all of that changes later).

As for the animation, the visual quality of it was high (i.e. color palette, visual depth, settings), but the character designs were not that consistant and fight scenes utilized that slick, but less refined/defined, motion style not exceptionally well. It's good in quick flashes for impression, but not for extended sequences, where it winds up looking sloppy (basically...because the footage is to get the "speed" across). A bigger gripe I had, though, was with the character designs. Japanese characters in anime have been criticized by some for looking too "white" or "Anglo", though normally I can tell the difference between one and the other (IMO, there is a way in how they are depicted). But in Xam'd, the characters looked way too Caucasian for me to buy that they were supposed to be Japanese. It was more distracting than I was expecting, detracting more from a show that I already souring on.

Despite everything that bothered me about it, I still want to revisit Xam'd and give it another chance. I was looking forward to it beforehand and maybe my opinion will change on a restart, since Anime Network now has it online. I'm not holding my breath, but who's to say?

In respect to the review's mention of its unusual debut: IIRC, Xam'd had something of a troubled production and missed its TV debut date and losing its time slot in the process (I heard the director has a reputation for being a perfectionist, so that may have been one reason...). Sony Music stepped in and put it onto the Playstation Network through its duration before it finally made it to the airwaves months later. Sony-corporate was a producer from the beginning, but I do not think they had as major a role as they did until the production ran behind schedule and lost sponsors. After the intervention, the "Bounen no Xamdou" site became "Xam'd: Lost Memories" and given a greater English slant, with the marketing changed to reflect their aims toward that market (with a big emphasis on the English OP & ED themes and the talents behind them). I can't say whether this was always planned, but this did not seem to be the case pre-intervention, as if there was sudden shift in focus after Sony stepped up their involvement.

Last edited by Sam Murai on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Just got a blu-ray screener of Ghost Hound from them - which, as we all know, came out last week, so I'm guessing that there's a logistical deal keeping advance copies of blu-rays from going out to news/editorial partners. Meanwhile, advance copies of DVD versions are hitting a couple of weeks ahead of release, which is very convenient. The more you know!

Quote:
Your insulting overreaction is just great though thanks!

this was pretty awesome, yes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Mytopia's comments: I can confirm what Zac said. I reviewed exactly what Sentai sent me unsolicited. They have been the best company over the past couple of years about sending out full screener copies, so I'm not complaining.

Mike Toole wrote:
Zac wrote:

Just got a blu-ray screener of Ghost Hound from them - which, as we all know, came out last week, so I'm guessing that there's a logistical deal keeping advance copies of blu-rays from going out to news/editorial partners.

That has also been my impression, as I also just got the GH Blu-Ray screener.

Sam Murai wrote:
IIRC, Xam'd had something of a troubled production and missed its TV debut date and losing its time slot in the process (I heard the director has a reputation for being a perfectionist, so that may have been one reason...). Sony Music stepped in and put it onto the Playstation Network through its duration before it finally made it to the airwaves months later. Sony-corporate was a producer from the beginning, but I do not think they had as major a role as they did until the production ran behind schedule and lost sponsors. After the intervention, the "Bounen no Xamdou" site became "Xam'd: Lost Memories" and given a greater English slant, with the marketing changed to reflect their aims toward that market (with a big emphasis on the English OP & ED themes and the talents behind them). I can't say whether this was always planned, but this did not seem to be the case pre-intervention, as if there was sudden shift in focus after Sony stepped up their involvement.

Thanks for the details. I looked for information about this but could not find anything definitive in an English language source.

And concerning the cover art: I also must admit to initially having thought that the girl (Haru) was having a close encounter with a missile. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Mytopia wrote:

Also, ANN should really be reviewing the Blu-Ray, rather than a DVD volume, really. Many things that apparent in the DVD releases obviously will not be present in the Blu-Ray, as the show was originally aired in 1080p HD. If ANN are a "respected news [or review] source", then how come they couldn't get a copy of the Blu-Ray release? Did Sentai not trust them, or did ANN not request them? Either way, the BD is what most people will be interested in, or will be considering buying!

As they said, the bluray was not available for review. Sentai's bluray release usually ship out about a week or two behind their DVD counterparts, but usually ahead of the street date (with the exception of Legend of The Dark Kings). It's possible they are using a different facility to replicate each of the two sets.

Also, the TAN airings do use "Shut Up and Explode" and I was told the discs would use them as well, so are we positive they are using a different opening?
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
While I can't give a source, I remember some people mentioning at the time that Xam'd came out in North America first, on PSN, and only later in Japan. IIRC, when it did start airing in Japan (I think on PSN) it was doing so 2 episodes at a time to catch up with the North American release. Has there been any other anime that aired here first?

I have to echo the sentiment that the beginning of Xam'd was the better part. It was near the top of my watch-list when it started, but I still haven't watched the last few episodes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I pre-ordered the Blu-ray version when its date was released (have not received). As, I really wanted to support neo-ADV/Sentai ventures into dubbing again. But it was a total blind buy. I feel better about the solid review. And if the 2nd disc gets a B+ then I will be ecstatic.

And the fact that the visuals are above average make me happy too.

I'lve preordered it for the fact that it finally have an english dub from sentai and not from a license rescue they usually do.

As for the series itself , If it's similar like Eureka 7 , I'll enjoy it though the main character not as much. Would have been interesting if they had made the main character into a serious bastard like in the main from Libberals of Iron or even like Kenta from Desert Punk.

Quote:
It further distinguishes itself by being one of the first initial-release anime titles to be dubbed by Sentai Filmworks, reaffirming a long-overdue return to dubbed initial-release anime for the company

Iit's about time they finally had one title dubbed.

Nuff said.

Though all that's left now is Gintama and Eyeshield 21. I hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Wait, did this review say that "Shut Up and Explode" is not on this set?

But...but the other one (while just as awesome) has a ton of spoilers in it...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I like homages and all, but Xam'd's felt too derivative and not very original.

Eh, I still don't think so. Even the Nausicaa comparison that Key mentioned only resonates with me retrospectively, and most strongly through the beat kayak that Nakiami uses at that. I never got the sense that I was being shortchanged from a creative perspective, even though the thematic vein that Xam'd covers has, generally speaking, been heavily mined in previous years. Perhaps that's because Xam'd spends a great deal of time exploring its story outside of the traditional revelatory action sequences (my implication being that a lot of time is conversely allocated to those slower, meditative scenes that I think are a source for a lot of criticism directed at the show--personally I think they're a great counterpoint to the action and tie the series together).

Quote:
As for the animation, the visual quality of it was high (i.e. color palette, visual depth, settings), but the character designs were not that consistant and fight scenes utilized that slick, but less refined/defined, motion style not exceptionally well. It's good in quick flashes for impression, but not for extended sequences, where it winds up looking sloppy (basically...because the footage is to get the "speed" across).

I couldn't disagree more. I thought Xam'd's action sequences remained remarkably fluid and detailed throughout its run. There was was a tremendous feeling of articulated motion to the performances of the Xam'd, Humanforms and Mainsouls.

Quote:
A bigger gripe I had, though, was with the character designs. Japanese characters in anime have been criticized by some for looking too "white" or "Anglo", though normally I can tell the difference between one and the other (IMO, there is a way in how they are depicted). But in Xam'd, the characters looked way too Caucasian for me to buy that they were supposed to be Japanese. It was more distracting than I was expecting, detracting more from a show that I already souring on.

Yeah, this is certainly a subjective topic, and my opinion diverges greatly from yours. In Xam'd's context I don't think specific ethnicity is an important issue; certainly, whether or not most of the characters were supposed to be Japanese never occurred to me. I remain ignorant of that issue for most anime in fact, unless explicit elements of plot and theme are tied to the characters being identifiable as "Japanese"--and even then one can always claim exception regarding physical appearance of characters, since arguably no developed society features a genuinely substantial degree of physical homogeneity.

More to the point though: Xam'd features some crazy organic symbiotic mecha $#!7, and bigass floating ships. Also some kind of magical particle weapon. Real-world ethnic parameters don't really apply--distinctly "Japanese" naming conventions or otherwise.

Regarding the... angle of the cover art, I've never really latched onto that pervy/ecchi perspective that others seem to--and I'm not at all averse to latching onto pervyness and ecchiness. Razz
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Also, the TAN airings do use "Shut Up and Explode" and I was told the discs would use them as well, so are we positive they are using a different opening?

Okay, this was a bit of confusion on my part, and I've corrected it in the review. The opener being used on the DVD is "Shut Up and Explode" - i.e. the one that isn't spoilerrific for the second half of the series. The other one is present in the Extras, however.

And to be clear: references to this series resembling Eureka 7 do not include the lead character in any way resembling Renton. Similarities include the CG visuals used in the flying effects, a similar feel (though not quality) of animation, and structural plot elements, such as a young man being drawn away from home by an encounter with mecha-like things and a strange girl and going away with said girl to live on said girl's base flying ship, which has an eclectic crew that includes a couple of children who don't necessarily get along with the main character, while learning about his newfound power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Okay, this was a bit of confusion on my part, and I've corrected it in the review. The opener being used on the DVD is "Shut Up and Explode" - i.e. the one that isn't spoilerrific for the second half of the series. The other one is present in the Extras, however.

Oh thank god (Why would you confuse me like that Key!?? Razz)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Iit's about time they finally had one title dubbed.

Nuff said.

Actually, it's about the 7th thing they've dubbed and not even the first they've done on initial release. That honor goes to Golgo 13. They are also released Canaan in a dubbed collection next month.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Sweet. Although if the TV sequences are included as extras for this set, I'm left wondering if they'll show up as the OP/ED for the second half. I hope so, as it would be nice to have the variety in this case.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
They are also released Canaan in a dubbed collection next month.

Wait, what? How did I miss this!? Shocked

*goes and orders*

Just waiting for this to show up in the mail. Can't wait Very Happy
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky to view the entire first half of this series after having won it at the Alamo on a now twice-a-month ADV/Sentai screening.

As someone who was disinterested in Eureka 7, I can definelty say it is a gross misconception to assume that Xam'd is anything like Eureka 7. First of all Xam'd is more of a mixture of NGE and Last Exile and sort of uses blueprints on being slightly unorginal.

The main character Akiyuki almost immediately obtains his powers and becomes a Xam'd within the first few minutes of episode 1. The bond between his girlfriend Haru and best close friend Akushiba but after obtaining his powers and being taken in by a mysterious girl named Nakiami and a rogue crew of warrior pirates. It's never explained who gave Aki his powers, but it is clear that the crew takes a immediately liking to him,including thier sexy prima donna female captain Ishu(who looks exactly like Cereva from Bayonetta) spoiler[ She obviously has a mild crush on Akiyuki, I mean its pretty obvious she's very fond(has a thing for him) of him since she treats him much different from the crew. She always puts down her appretinces but manages to treat Aki as if she's his counselor]

The story itself tries to stay on point and keeps itself from getting way too poignant, Nakiami acts as his personal trainer and you really don't get get to see her bond with him at least yet and you are teased about her past as she tends to get emotional. Haru discovers what has happened to Akiyuki and as a result she becomes unstable and while Aku starts to put the moves on Haru once they both join a special forces infantry.

There's some giveaway metphors spoiler[ Haru cutting her hair is a symbolism of when Japanese girls break up with thier boyfriends] plus when Aku becomes lieutnant, the badge goes to his head. Along with the introduction of Raiygo another Xam'd who at first looks like a homeless vargrant but after shaving and bathing comes out a new person.

I've already said too much. To those squemish on taking a look at this title, this should be enough to whet your apeitite. I own the DVD version and even THAT looks splendid, so those wanting the High Def fix should go for the expensive Blu-Ray set.

The dub cast is facinating to me. Sentai unlike when it was known as ADV, no longer annouces publicity dubs. Seraphrim Dubs are now done in secret and are done fairly quickly. Matt Greenfield told us that "Blue Drop" was dubbed in just 9 days. How the hell were they able to get Jessica Boone to come back? Didn't she leave this state to move to North Carolina? Luci Christian is quite fickle, the girl just gave birth to a daughter 3 months ago and yet she's still very active at Funimation AND Section23!!

It was also refreshing to hear Hillary Haag again. She had been M.I.A. for two years. It's great hearing her and Monica Rial team up again.

Newcomers Adam Wagoner and Chris Hutchinson(who both joined ADV in 2007 just before the Sojitz debacle) are quite effective in thier supporting cast preformances too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3