• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I'm pretty sure the award's going to go to Toy Story 3 with How to Train Your Dragon at a close second. No complaints there, but if there has to be a third I'm guessing it might go to Idiots and Angels.

Toy Story 3, the Illusionist and Summer Wars. I can't see anything outstanding about How To Train Your Dragon that people feel it's going to be nominated. The Illusionist was directed by Sylvain Chomet, of Triplets of Belleville fame, and really deserves to be ahead of Dragon.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
As an avid film and anime fan, and as somebody who has seen the Academy snub more than one fantastic film in this category (*cough* Paprika *cough*) in favor of more kid-friendly fare (*cough* Ratatouille *cough*)...If only the genuinely excellent animated films were nominated, and Toy Story 3 was somehow taken out of the equation, the playing field for this year's Best Animated Feature could actually be level, but alas, this year we may
have to let Pixar have another one simply because they're
Pixar.

1. Ratatouille > Paprika. They are both phenomenal films though.

2. Pixar movies ARE genuinely excellent and the closest thing to a guarantee of quality when it comes to movie studios, animated or otherwise. Toy Story 3 was the closing of one of the greatest, most groundbreaking movie trilogies, and not just on a technical level. It's no small leap to say Pixar is what has pushed studios like Dreamworks and even Disney itself to higher levels than just "children's entertainment". They have helped create a societal acknowledgement in this country that animation is not something that has to be for people with single-digit ages. They are a lock for Best Animated Feature, but this year above all others is the year they should not only be nominated for the big one, but should get it as well.

Watch it go to an arthouse film no one has seen once again though.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

1. Ratatouille > Paprika. They are both phenomenal films though.

2. Pixar movies ARE genuinely excellent and the closest thing to a guarantee of quality when it comes to movie studios, animated or otherwise. Toy Story 3 was the closing of one of the greatest, most groundbreaking movie trilogies, and not just on a technical level. It's no small leap to say Pixar is what has pushed studios like Dreamworks and even Disney itself to higher levels than just "children's entertainment". They have helped create a societal acknowledgement in this country that animation is not something that has to be for people with single-digit ages. They are a lock for Best Animated Feature, but this year above all others is the year they should not only be nominated for the big one, but should get it as well.

Watch it go to an arthouse film no one has seen once again though.

1. I would greatly like to debate that. Paprika was above that movie on all levels. Not only was the animation amazing but the creativity was of another level.

And also Pixar bores me. I have only seen a good few movies from them.

My point? Entirely debatable on which is better but we know how the awards will get more money - by getting the big companies.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Well they might as well hand the Statue to Toy Story 3 right now.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How is that a "revolution"?

I know that the movie remakes and tv series are different, but they're not so different that the movies are going to cause a revolution, it's on par with the difference between the two Fullmetal Alchemist continuities.

As for Summer Wars it's chances to be nominated went out the window when their was only three movies to be nominated. I think they remember that Miyazaki didn't show up when Spirited Away won, and I can't imagine the voters forgetting that slight.

OMG, C. Knight, you haven't watched the movie yet? And your saying one is better on the BASIS of "rumor"?!?

Have you seen the 1982 ver of the Thing? w/ Kurt Russell? It's a remake but critics have said it's one of the best horror movies EVER made?
So... what's so "non-revolutionary" about remakes? What makes a remake SOOOO bad???

It's common knowledge now, but NGE was animes' spoiler[1st REAL look into the human psyche and how such "anime" circumstances "could" affect the real human mind!]
Was it as a whole imperfect? Sure, but it left a HUGE mark in what they could do in anime.

....then, some 12 years later, Anno decides to go off on his own(most likely because he doesn't like where Gainax is going... I mean... look at Panty and Stocking!!), and decides to re-describe his masterpiece.
I'll admit, that Eva 1.0's ultimate worth is mentally preparing ourselves for the best to come, because Eva 2.0 was definitely an eyeopener, both in the sense of how much NGE could offer when it already did SOOO much, and in how soulful and aesthetically artsy it was.
To put it simply, even if you "hated" the show, that won't stop you from being wowed by the sheer power that this movie(and possibly the sequels too) wields...

I'm quite happy that Summer Wars is in the nominations, really!
It's just that, the knowledge that Eva 2.0 hasn't and can't get that chance... disheartens me.
I dunno, maybe they're just two different types of achievements... [/i]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Yeah pretty much. If there have been five nominees, there might have been a slight chance but with only 3 slots, I doubt we'll even see Summer Wars make the final cut.

Of course, Pixar will win. It's just their turn.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Of course, Pixar will win. It's just their turn.

Pixar has won 5 time in the 9 years it has been running. I don't think it is their turn really. It isn't much fun if someone keeps winning.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
Pixar has won 5 time in the 9 years it has been running. I don't think it is their turn really. It isn't much fun if someone keeps winning.
I don't disagree or think you're wrong in any way. I just think the people in charge will think of it the way I posted. They'll look at the list and think "well, it's time for Toy Story to get this statute."

With there only being 3 slots, I doubt Summer Wars even gets into the running. Winning after getting there would be something akin to a minor miracle.

I'm just making a predicition I'd like to be wrong about.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see all this news covering Summer Wars's run for an Oscar nomination. I would actually be glad if it won the Oscar but the chances of that happening are pretty slim. It would be a huge upset if it did happen.

I still will buy the Blu-ray release regardless of its Oscar status.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Because How To Train Your Dragon will give it a run for its money? I liked it more than Toy Story 3 (though I liked that one too). Still very much want to see The Illusionist and Summer Wars, though.

And seriously, guys, if we're going to lament the lack of anime representation, let's talk about the year Shark's Tale got nominated and not Tokyo Godfathers. Okay, I'm not 100% sure the latter was eligible, but I believe it was, and yeah, Shark's Tale sucks.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone's dodging the important issue here: why would anyone think it's worth the time, money and paperwork to submit Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore?
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
So far so good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what the crap was I thinking? One of the submitted films is The Dreams of Jinsha. Being a Chinese animation, it's sure to be a ripoff (I apologize if this seems like a stereotype, but it's unfortunately true) and judging by the screenshot the target this time seems to be Makoto Shinkai.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Roger Ebert is already pulling for The Illusionist to be the "other" nominee (besides Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon), so, considering just how much sway Ebert has with the Academy, I really don't see any hope for Summer Wars to sneak in, sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Funimation is going to get a lot of people that are not anime fans becoming fans if Summer Wars get nominated or won a oscar. I'm really happy to see Summer Wars got submitted for Oscar. But I don't know if it may make it or not. I love animation (not only Japanese animation) but animation of any kind.

You know I look back at Spirited Away at the Academy Award. It had other 4 competitors, and despite the 4 competitors being good, Spirited Away in the end won the oscar making the first anime to win at the academy award. I would love to see another anime win a oscar (well I wouldn't mind if Summer Wars get nominated). I cross my finger and hope Funimation may end up becoming famous to the whole public because of Summer Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4