• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Where are you watching Oreimo?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I answered 100% honestly. No, I'm not watching OreImo on ANN, because I'm in Romania. If you were to show it here, I would watch only to support you guys, but would watch the fansub first, since you are one week late. Yes, I would watch it again, just to add to the numbers watching on ANN. No, I would not pay to watch anime online. I wouldn't pay to watch anything online. I only buy physical disks. No, I don't buy R1, except for the occasional movie. I buy R2, and now, only BD. I preordered Nanoha Movie BD, 1st press LE, so money is not an issue for me.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I stated in the survey that it was because of other that I don't watch on ANN. The other is that the player nor the site are very compatible with my PS3. The player won't even load Sad

On top of that, I don't buy downloads. I buy the actual DVDs for series I like and this one is pretty much a buy. I have to add it to my other anime fandom DVDs like Genshiken and Comic Party. I want to add Nogizaka too, but no such release has been announced...

Plus, I like dubs and no dub means that I hesitate to buy. I want to buy to support the anime creators, but don't want to have to read when watching it. It makes the slower episodes in anime more bearable to get through- Endless Eight was one such set of episodes in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 that was much more bearable dub than sub- I watched dub later than sub.

Any news if Oreimo is gonna get a dub?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Right now, considering I don't have great internet access, I love ANN's model. For example, the only show on Crunchyroll that I'm willing to pay for is Panty and Stocking. If I could pay 5-8 dollars just to watch that show simulcasted in HD, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, I'm NOT going to pay $21 ($7 a month for three months) just to watch P&S. The same can be said for The Anime Network and High School of the Dead.

I don't watch tons of currently airing shows because I'm a DVD kind of guy. However, I do keep track of them and there are certainly shows that pique my interest so much that I will watch them if they're licensed for streaming somewhere. It's just that I don't want to fork over a lot of money for them.

I think other streaming sites need to look at the way ANN is doing things and adopt that idea. Yes, keep your monthly/yearly memberships for those that watch tons of currently stuff, but also offer shows at individual prices for those of us who don't. I hate being a week behind in the P&S talkback, but I have no choice since there isn't a way for me to watch it at a reasonable price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
$10 for a 12-13 episode series is too much.

Your points are noted, but the price is actually $5.

Right now a monthly plan would make no sense on ANN, $5 a month for what, 2 shows ?

While there's a lot of people who watch our catalog content (Did you know we have over 2000 episodes of anime?), a subscription would be geared towards simulcasts, so we'd need to have more shows before we seriously considered it.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I noted that I watched fan subs, but even that has stopped for me right now. I'm basically watching little anime right now (I'm starting to get burned out again) and since there isn't much I'm going to watch in the Winter season I will probably catch up with it then, or next month when I work from home.

I did answer that I would purchase a legal copy if this show got an R1 release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

There hasn't been any licensing news beyond this little shindig that ANN has going on with Aniplex.

Maybe ANN wants to try their hand at in-house dubbing next? Zac Bertschy as Kyousuke Kousaka, anyone? Don't tell me you wouldn't watch it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
I stated in the survey that it was because of other that I don't watch on ANN. The other is that the player nor the site are very compatible with my PS3. The player won't even load Sad

We're going to look into set-top and other devices in the relatively near future. I can't say for certain when we'll be on the PS3, but its definitely in the cards.

Quote:
No news has been announced yet.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
There are some pros and cons to the per show model vs. the monthly subscription but I personally like the per show model (at least for now). There are whole seasons where I’m not watching stuff on CR and to stop and start a subscription (while I’m sure is not hard) is kind of a pain and I’d most likely forget to cancel it when not in use and waste money. So if it something like 5-10 dollars to watch a whole show I don’t mind so much.

I’ve been enjoying Oreimo way more than I thought I would. In fact I only tacked it on to Togainu no Chi because it was a few dollars more. I was only paying for Togainu no Chi because I just got a HD monitor and thought that the 720p stream would be a great way to check it out (it does in fact look pretty sweet). Funny part is I still haven’t watch Togainu no Chi yet. Anime hyper

Would I like to series to come out faster? Sure. I certainly wasn’t crazy about the long break but the week time delay doesn’t bother me. I considered fan subs but at this point I download far less fan subs anymore. If I can watch it in a legal stream I will. Basically, at this point I have few hundred gigs of files I don’t know if I’ll even watch so why keep adding to the pile? This way I can stop collecting junk (even if it is non-tangible junk) and feel like I’m giving the industry some sort of support.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

Plus, I like dubs and no dub means that I hesitate to buy. I want to buy to support the anime creators, but don't want to have to read when watching it. It makes the slower episodes in anime more bearable to get through- Endless Eight was one such set of episodes in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 that was much more bearable dub than sub- I watched dub later than sub.

Pretty much in the same page in regards to anime dubs unless if it is a show I really want to watch. However, it's really too early to call since it's in the Fall 2010. It is extremely rare to see someone call for licensing for DVD distribution of an anime that is currently simulcasting/airing in Japan AND a dub at the same time (The only time that has happen in my mind is Highschool of the Dead from Sentai). But it does get a dub, please cast Cristina Vee as Kirino. Any tsundere loli/middle-highschool girl characters like Taiga, Misaka Mikoto, the title character of the Ookami-san, and of course Kirino should have Cristina Vee voicing the character.

In regards to the survey, I say Oreimo is a really good show to watch, the only problems I had with the ANN stream the constant buffering that would pause the player and if I were to unpause the player and resume watching, the audio would sometimes be temporarily muted. But overall, during the "Oreimogate" stuff in regards to the security leak, I hold off the urge to go and watch the fansubs on popular streaming sites and wait out to see if they can fix the issue.

Big Hed wrote:

Maybe ANN wants to try their hand at in-house dubbing next? Zac Bertschy as Kyousuke Kousaka, anyone? Don't tell me you wouldn't watch it.

Unless if the ANN HQ happens to be located in the top locations where ADR recording is prominent (Los Angeles, Flower Mound area, Houston, New York City, and Vancouver), that probably wouldn't be possible unless if ANN contracted someone to outsource this. But in regards to in-house dubbing, I hope Crunchyroll can take that step as well.

EDIT: By the way, Zac Bertschy is a ANN commenter and one of the hosts of ANNCast, not a voice actor. If he were to given the role of Kyousuke, he probably would quickly give it to Johnny Yong Bosch instead.

Last edited by Dark Paladin X on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't really like Oreimo, but I watch it anyways

We going tsundere now are we...
Everything else is rather favorable... I mean, it's either my favorite or pretty good; perhaps a little less favorable picks, and a few more negative ones, but not as negative as "I don't like it but I tsundere and watch it anyways".

A statement that really represents my feelings best would be:
"I really despise the heroine, but I watch it anyways...
"Kuroneko is lovely and unique... while his childhood friend is the personification of sweetness."

Quote:
We know Oreimo is very popular in other countries. If we had been able to offer the Oreimo Premium package (but no free streams) in your country (US$5 for all episodes, commercial free, 720p), would you have purchased it?

The price is okay. I'd prefer a subscription setting, though; with more series involved.
I heard of a few issues with the subtitles... I don't mind bad timing/mistranslation, etc., but the subs positioning and size/color are really important. Yes, I'm looking at your standard fansub style (which is pretty good nowadays).

Last edited by egoist on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I only watch the thing off of here (even if the show is kinda getting disappointing/not growing out of my expectation about it being what it is) as of episode 7 and I kinda just waited on you guys to start up the stream again as opposed to just googling for fansubs or whatever.

My only real complain right now is that the player should have like keyboard controls so I could pause the thing by pushing spacebar or something, as opposed to using the mouse.

Also, I think I would like to get premium content, but I'm gonna wait until ANN has some kinda package going and more exclusive shows (I eventually got a curnchyroll subscription given how nice account management was (easy account management is EVERYTHING) and how extensive the catalog is: it's very worth it).

But, yeah, I dunno... I think you guys are doing a good job... I mean, to the very least, I really do see myself paying for this stuff somewhere down the line, so keep it up.
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I watch it here, but it would be nice if the releases were quicker, so I don't have to avoid any sort of Oreimo discussion because people spoil the next episode before I see it.

Also, the player needs to have play/pause keybound to Spacebar. I always mash it like five times before finally realizing I have to use the stupid mouse.

Big Hed wrote:

Kirino isn't nearly loli enough for that to be awesome. Now, if he voiced a dub of That Series That Shall Not Be Named, I would pee myself. Out of sheer respect for the amount of win I would behold.

Do it Zac. DO IT! IT IS YOUR DESTINY! YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
EDIT: By the way, Zac Bertschy is a ANN commenter and one of the hosts of ANNCast, not a voice actor. If he were to given the role of Kyousuke, he probably would quickly give it to Johnny Yong Bosch instead.

I know, I was kidding. Razz
Robochanger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I watched eps 1-4 else where. I missed episode one while ANN had it up, so went looking for streams. However since ep.5 I've watched it here.

My only crit. is with how fast some of the subs are on screen. I'd say I'm pretty damn good at reading subs and watching the animation... but, some are on screen for so short of a time I can only read about half of it. It happens 2 or 3 times each episode that I've watched here.

As for paying for streams, I don't do that. If I can't watch something free on the internet, I simply wont be watching it. I don't mind commercials that support streams. Honestly I don't much care for watching anime online, but do it to see new shows. I do however buy DVDs/Blu Rays, which is my prefered means of watching anime.

Usually I watch anime online to find shows worth buying on DVD. Some shows I watch all of, others I only watch one or two eps before I know that I will be buying it. Oremimo is one that I am watching all of, and if it gets licenced I will definatly be buying DVDs.
Cloud668

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll be lying if I say that I don't download the raws and watch it first, but I also watch the stream later on Nico Nico just to see how people react to different scenes through the scrolling comments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4