• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Reruns Start in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Not never. Well. Sailormoon's in reruns, and it's a whole 200 episodes. I think Dragonball too. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is really an interesting piece of news, but it must kinda stink for those people in Japan who miss the show on TV. However, people over there (and this is just a guess) are actually...well, they've been around the whole thing for their entire lives. I mean, it's normal, and people don't gawk at anime on TV or video games like some do here.
Armagguedes said something about lack of creativity, and I guess, with all of the production, that could be a problem. Tho' I don't know enough and haven't seen enough anime to know if that's true. (Is it, though?)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
It may also be that Japanese TV is discovering how a rerun of a really top-notch popular show can produce strong ratings at low cost. That's something USA broadcasters have known for a long time. Maybe the dwindling supply of high-quality new anime has led the Japanese TV execs to see how profitable an FMA replay would be. (^_*)

If I haven't seen it, it's new to me!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Who wants to place bets on Naruto getting a similar moment?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Adfectio wrote:
Never mind, i found the answer on my own. 51 is a huge amount of episodes in a series. how many DVDs will that cover? thats my new question.

13 DVD for the u.s. release.

It was 13 DVDs in Japan, as well.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
52 episodes, I beleive.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
52 episodes, I beleive.

It is 51 + a Movie.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Actually I always wonder why japan never rerun anime over there. I mean if you miss a show, that's it, you have to either buy the dvd because you can't watch it again. They produce so many new anime every season. Unlike over here in which we get rerun usually during the summer most tv shows.

It's actually the popularity of home video that killed the market for reruns. It's also the reason why we're seeing less and less re-runs on North American TV. Why watch a broadcast when you can watch it commerical free, with better quality video, and at any time you want?

Also, the turn around time, from broadcast to video release, in Japan is quite shorter than it is here, especially when it comes to anime.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
I hope they add some new segment as a little treat to the fans that tune in again. I remember when Pokemon was rerunning, they used to have a segment called "Pokemon de English" where they taught the viewers English by using clips from the 4Kids dub. How about some "Hagaren de English"? Smile
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
But the Japanese DVDs .. the first volume only had two episodes. They didn't do that here did they? Anime dazed;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know if the flag in the last episode will stay edited? spoiler[Or will they add the Swastika back? Here's the real image to the flag of the Thule society, which is a proto-nazi organization. http://www.disorganization.com/danbala/Seekers/Groups/Graphics/thulesoc.gif]
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's actually the popularity of home video that killed the market for reruns. It's also the reason why we're seeing less and less re-runs on North American TV. Why watch a broadcast when you can watch it commerical free, with better quality video, and at any time you want?

I'd think most people would have issues with paying $50 for two episodes, but then again, I'm sure there are a ton of otaku who wouldn't think twice about shelling over the cash.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Not never. Well. Sailormoon's in reruns, and it's a whole 200 episodes. I think Dragonball too. Laughing

How do you guys knows what shows are rerunning,or even what day and timeslot they're in?Is there a site that tells you this?
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure there are websites floating around, and some have been into anime and manga for over a decade. Plus, if you can read Japanese there are a LOT of company sites. (Or these people could have lived in Japan)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2