• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Fullmetal Alchemist for Teletoon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The real facts here are that Teletoon and YTV favor television programs produced in Canada. In fact they are required by law to feature X% of their programming produced in the country. Inuyasha and DBZ are both dubbed in Canada, as are the Gundam series. This is nothing more than focusing on their "brand" (Canadian programs) and is not a slight against FMA.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Well, that beats my thought that it was a money issue (like every other issue)

This is what you get when you have GOVERNMENT-OWNED television stations. (Although after seeing what top execs in the states moonlight for, it's probably not so bad)
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
It's these damn execs thinking they're right about everything.

"Oh, this new Japanese cartoon called Full Metal Alchemist is not good. It's boring because there's no explosions and there's too much character development. And don't forget the crosses, Christians might get offended. Let's pass on this crap and put on Rave Master. Now THERE'S an awesome show."

Dumbasses. I hope they all burn at the stake AND get crucified. Glad I live in America, where ALMOST everything is better.

What's funny is, FMA DOES have explosions,quite a few in fact. One of the great things about it is that it merges action-show intensity and intellegent drama; it's got a huge amount of appeal and crosses demographics. That's why the line "our viewers aren't interested in it" is total bunk.

I hate it when TV execs try to tell us what we want to see. It's one thing if you have to cancel or pass on a show because of ratings, money, etc., but don't come out and say "Canadians aren't interested in this kind of program." Unless you've personally spoken to everyone in Canada, you don't know that, so shut your pie hole, Teletoon Exec Guy.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:

"Our programming department knows about Fullmetal Alchemist, and has decided that this title does not fulfill our brand requirements or the interest of the majority of our viewers.

That's the lamest excuse I have heard.

Canadians are drooling and demanding anime!

Teletoon is such a sad excuse for a cartoon network.

Any chance WB will buy out Teletoon and install the Cartoon Network here? Very Happy

Not all is lost, there's a chance YTV might get it. YTV has been airing a lot of anime programs recently.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
This is what you get when you have GOVERNMENT-OWNED television stations.

Neither Teletoon, nor YTV is government owned.

-t
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote
RZetlin wrote:
Teletoon is such a sad excuse for a cartoon network.

It's not just anime either. They've done pathetically in every area that I expect a cartoon station to excell in. Airing anime, producing quality Canadian content, importing quality American content, and airing classic cartoons... Teletoon has completely and utterly failed in all of these areas. I'm sure that if there was a Canadian Cartoon Network were up here, they'd do all that and more. Combining the existing Detour timeslot and content with Adult Swim stuff would yield something quite impressive.

RZetlin wrote:
Not all is lost, there's a chance YTV might get it. YTV has been airing a lot of anime programs recently.

Yeah, but when? It's certainly taking them a long time. It could've been easily and effectively inserted into the schedule this spring, but it wasn't. Not to mention that FUNimation has an incredibly close relationship with YTV's sister company, Nelvana. And DVDs aren't exactly flying off the shelves up here. If they don't start moving, stores aren't going to bother stocking copies of later volumes.

What I want to know is: why didn't FUNimation pitch this to Canadian stations at the same time they pitched it to Cartoon Network? They made that agreement before the show was even half-way completed in Japan.
nagaiyen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
Most of us are missing the point.

Airing FMA in Teletoon is like putting LotR in Spike. Sure, FMA's a cartoon, but it's way too sophisticated than what's normally shown in the station. How about Ninja Scroll or Macross Plus, you ask? Those shows fit perfectly. Short enough for the average human to put aside the story; lots of explosions and sexual themes; and, uhh, explosions.

And I can't help but point out that it's too progressive. The longest ongoing series I've seen on Teletoon was like, what, five episodes? And if the show wasn't ongoing, it was one of those 50-episode long randoms.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
Okay, but isn't there at least one Canadian government-owned TV station or am I just hallucinating?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Eh, I'd easily say that Delta State is more sophisticated than FMA. Or, at least, the existential mumbo-jumbo on Delta State is more varied than muttering about the intricacies about the laws of equivalent trade and whatnot.

Teletoon isn't all Zeroman (bada bada).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Carja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
nagaiyen wrote:
And I can't help but point out that it's too progressive. The longest ongoing series I've seen on Teletoon was like, what, five episodes? And if the show wasn't ongoing, it was one of those 50-episode long randoms.

I don't know how wise it is the mention this Smile, but Teletoon DID air Cardcaptors, so they have shown that they can air longer series and anime at that.

Another point to consider though, is that whenever possible Teletoon tries to secure the license for the English AND French dubs of the series they air. The French side does get to license shows that another English station is airing (like the Powerpuff Girls and Beyblade which YTV airs), but rarely, if ever, does the English side air shows that they can't get in French also. I thought that was one of the reasons given when asked if Teletoon might pursue Samurai Pizza Cats.

Getting back to Cardcaptors, the French dub which Teletoon got from France isn't edited from what I've seen. It's got the same music as the Japanese, they just talk in French albeit with really annoying voices (they have a fondness for name butchering though Very Happy ).
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The only "government owned" station is the CBC. But all other television, whether private or publicly funded (like the Knowledge Network in BC) is regulated by CRTC policies.

The French dub for Fullmetal Alchemist is currently airing on Canal+ in France. Teletoon could get it if they wanted it.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The article says: "[Teletoon]’s priority has to remain being true to its brand"..

That got me thinking, "What does Teletoon mean by 'brand'?" so I looked it up:

company#584

Teletoon airs stuff that you'd see on WB in America. No wonder why they said they weren't going to air FMA.. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Actually, 2/3rds of the shows listed there only air on the French feed.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Actually, WHR was quite popular up here. After the show's debut, the DVD boxset was in the top 20 best sellers list on Amazon.ca for a time.

I was actually joking bout the whole religion thing, and if there's one thing that really screwed over Witch Hunter, it was the ending. They did air ep. 26 on [Adult Swim], but I could have sworn it made the perfect first episode of a new season.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
One good thing I have to say about Teletoon is that they're quite receptive. Their toll free number is free for anyone to call, and most of the changes that have occured to the station over the past year or so have been due to viewer feedback. (I can see quite a few minor suggestions I've made over the past two years implemented into The Detour block.) But they're just utterly, utterly hopeless when it comes to anime.

Of course, this whole "brand" nonsense is meaningless. Their job is to air freaking cartoons. The fact that they would accept repulsive trash like Bromwell High over something like Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist is injustice at its finest. I'm tempted to just file a complaint to the CRTC suggesting that they aren't living up to their station mandate, since they really aren't. The system's there, so I might as well take advantage of it.

But like I keep saying, YTV definitely isn't out of the picture. They're an incredibly receptive station as well, and are trying to keep an ear against the anime fan community right now. E-mail them at [email protected] to let them know that you want to see Fullmetal Alchemist.

But don't stop there, bug FUNimation about it directly, too. If you talk to Lance either online or at a con, ask him if FUNi has any intention to get FMA on YTV, or why they haven't made a more worthwhile effort to get the show on Canadian airwaves. He's never given me a straightforward answer, but maybe someone else will have more luck.

And ask him about getting Fruits Basket on YTV while you're at it. If they want to get a second season produced, television exposure isn't going to hurt, even if it is in a smaller market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3