• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakuracon 2005

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
So it's okay to milk the cow that got in to cash field? Rereleasing something that was VHS to DVD, is one thing, it's a new format. But to release the same thing, what makes this, 2, 3 times is like saying, "Hey, sure you got the first set of Cowboy Bebop, but hold the phone, this time we add *Echoing* 5.1 and even more commentaries from the staff that we didn't feel like adding the first 2 times, but that's okay *Under their breath* they will buy it anyway." If they do bring it Blu-ray, X-ray, Something-ray, I'll put the old up, and go for the new, but until that, my money will stay in my wallet, were it should belong but doesn't.

Yeah, that sums up how I feel about it.

I hate how companies keep rereleasing stuff. Whats the point of putting it in 5.1 now?

Why not do that in the first place?

Oh, thats right. They believe we're all sheep and will buy it regardless.

I'm not buying the new Cowboy Bebop DVDs. I am happy with the old ones as it is. I don't need 5.1 to be happy, as I could care less.

By the way, having a dislike for a company for what they do isn't asinine at all. Its all opinion based. Though, I do agree that if ya hate the company just to hate it, and do not have a reason, then it is pretty asinine.

I agree in regards to Elfen Lied, aswell. I have seen it, enjoyed it, and will be getting it.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:07 am Reply with quote
I too am quite tired of the ADV bashing and had not intended to express any such sentiment, but not as tired of being jerked around as a consumer. What is ALSO asinine is to continue consuming ADV titles in spite of the knowledge of previous faulty product development and/or release (Robotech Legacy, which should have been remastered to begin with a la Animeigo, NGE VHS' then DVDs then Director's Cuts and ultimately Platinums, not licensing Super Gals 2nd Season, RahXephon movie audio glitches, scores of titles with needless script deviations for dubs).

No company need heed the views of one single frustrated consumer and I need not be pursuaded that any corporate entity must pursue what is in its best interest however it may affect its consumer base. While I find the conception and execution of Elfen Lied and other titles mentioned to be distasteful, I probably am part of a minotiry. But a response to a dismal report on the fate of a consumed product need not consider such logic. I've put money into Kaleido Star and Super Gals with the expectation of being able to finish them. Apparently, what is being demonstrated is that the only one interested in maintaining the value of my investment in those titles is myself. If that is to be the truth, then I believe I have some just cause to gripe, complain, and criticize.

And if my herein reasoning still fails to demonstrate that my criticism of ADV does not simply stem from some capricious need to do the "in-thing", I will further proclaim that I am a conservative Republican US citizen and ex-service-member who genuinely believes that George W Bush is among the best of presidents in recent history and is doing an outstanding job in office and securing the interests of our great nation. Now isn't the "in-thing" to adopt a "world view" and hate the ::sarcasm on:: moronic president who went to war for oil?

Last edited by khryoleoz on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
even more commentaries from the staff that we didn't feel like adding the first 2 times, but that's okay *Under their breath* they will buy it anyway."

And who is to say that these extra interviews and commentaries even existed at the time (US interviews), and they had the license to them? (Japanese)

Raoh wrote:

I hate how companies keep rereleasing stuff. Whats the point of putting it in 5.1 now?

Why not do that in the first place?

Oh, thats right. They believe we're all sheep and will buy it regardless.

The first mention I can find of a 5.1 (English) anime dub is the redub of Akira, in 2001, a full year after the Bebop DVDs were released. (although I'm sure it wasn't the first) 5.1 has just recently really become more of a standard for anime. Not mentioned in the report is the remastered video. It's well worth buying, especially those that haven't picked up the original DVDs (like me). If you don't want to buy it that's fine, but don't bash the company for rereleasing something that a great many fans will enjoy.

khryoleoz wrote:
I too am quite tired of the ADV bashing and had not intended to express any such sentiment, but not as tired of being jerked around as a consumer. What is ALSO asinine is to continue consuming ADV titles in spite of the knowledge of previous faulty product development and/or release

You act like ADV is the only company to have glitches. It happens to every company in every field. As to script "deviations," show me one company that hasn't done it. David Williams has said many times that they WANT to get Super Gals Season 2, and are trying to.

khryoleoz wrote:
NGE VHS' then DVDs then Director's Cuts and ultimately Platinums

VHS to DVD is a no-brainer. Director's cuts were because they weren't able to get the Japanese home video version of Eva for the original release (they got the TV masters). That was beyond their control, and, when they could get it, they released it. As for Plat, the Japanese kinda came up with it first, Renewal of Evangelion. ADV brought it is a 100% improvment over the original, and they were finally able to create a 5.1 track. I'm very happy the brought it over.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the whole lets bash ADV thing is some people are just sore over there fansub policy.

Of course I dont see why ADV had only gone after sites hosting shows they had the liscence to or stuff they had already put out. And I dont have a problem with ADV shutting those places down.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2