• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Greatest Censorship Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
I actually read up on the censorship in the Pokemon manga the other day, it actually had A LOT of fanservice! Gotta wonder how that one slipped past Nintendo, especially when it was related to one of their most lucrative franchises.

It's a doujin that got licensed in America. In japan it was was fan made and not licensed. he wasn't obliged to adhear to any of nintendo's rules. Also the artist is a doujin hentai artist so that's what's up with the fanservice.
RakuenOokami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
On the same subject of 'anti-alien guns', things like the censored anime version of Zatch Bell always make me roll my eyes. After that bank scene, there was one with the Chinese mafia, and instead of removing the guns entirely, they decided to just make them glow green. They're not any less of a real gun, they just glow green now. Doesn't that make them more creepy as they now look radioactive?

And another manga censorship I'd like to bring up was the fourth volume of Kaori Yuki's Godchild. In one scene, the main character discovers a painting of a woman strangling a baby. In the censored version (which, mind you, they still put a 'mature content' label on the book for) the baby is removed, and all you see is a deranged looking woman. This leaves anyone who hasn't seen the original Japanese version wondering why the main character is so disturbed by a painting of a crazy looking lady.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
It's a doujin that got licensed in America. In japan it was was fan made and not licensed. he wasn't obliged to adhear to any of nintendo's rules. Also the artist is a doujin hentai artist so that's what's up with the fanservice.

Nope, it wasn't a dojinshi, it was an official Pokemon comic. It ran in Shogakukan's CoroCoro Comic and was collected in 4 tankobon.

The part about him doing hentai on the side is probably right, tho'.
Nekusagi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
It's interesting you listed Electric Tale of Pikachu as your sole example of Pokemon manga censorship- more recently, Viz censored a scene in their re-issue of Pokemon Special (Pokemon Adventures here) where Green taunts Sabrina about her chest size by thrusting her chest out, only to have Kadabra slash her "breasts" to reveal Poke Balls hidden down her top.

The original print run had the scene completely uncensored, but the re-issued edition simply removes the joke.

Fun fact: before writing EToP, Toshihiro Ono wrote explicit yaoi doujinshi.
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
It's a doujin that got licensed in America. In japan it was was fan made and not licensed. he wasn't obliged to adhear to any of nintendo's rules.

No, it wasn't. It was an official product released by Shogakukan. I would honestly love to hear how a company would be able to license a fan-made work and then sell it in another region.

As for the article itself, I found it rather interesting. Some I already knew, but the others I did not know were certainly enlightening. Although, I hoped Thompson would've mentioned one of my top peeves of translation and that would be dumbing down the language. I get that certain words can translate a number of different ways, but when a character whose in a live or death situation screams "darn" or "curses" it takes me out of the scene.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one extremely interested in the fact that you were the I"s editor's roommate. There's some stories here we're never gonna hear, aren't there. Laughing

The editting done to I"s has always been a little odd to me too, I mean...the series is definitely one that's not aimed at kids. Even without all the nude moments, the story in-of-itself just isn't the kind of thing that's going to interest too many really young people. So I don't know why they couldn't have just slapped the 'Adult Content' label on it from the get go (as they did with some later volumes) and just be done with it.

Also, particularly amusing - I forget the exact volume it's in, but there's one instance where there were actually stars over the breasts in the original Japanese artwork as well, so far as I can tell. But when comparing my actual English volume's panel to a scanlation that I've also seen...the stars were made LARGER in the English release, as if it really was an attempt to draw further eyes to the fact that it was edited. So even without knowing the editor, I think you might be onto something there.

I've also heard some rumors that the edits were given the green light by Katsura, but I've never really found any evidence of this that I can remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
You just never know if the work you are looking is what the person named on the cover drew.

And people wonder why manga piracy is rampant. I will never ever buy censored stuff, just import the official Japanese manga or Blu-rays, so I can get my uncensored material and still support the industry instead of finding excuses to be a cheapass.

Fixed that for you.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I've also heard some rumors that the edits were given the green light by Katsura, but I've never really found any evidence of this that I can remember.

Nice to meet another Katsura fan! Generally it's safe to assume that any censorship in a foreign (English) edition of a manga was approved by the artist. (Although there are exceptions -- I remember that when I ran into Katsura at Comic-Con in 1999 or so, he wasn't even *aware* that Viz was publishing Video Girl Ai, although he was aware of Dark Horse's edition of Shadow Lady. -_- It might have been because Dark Horse's licensing people sent Katsura some chocolates and a bottle of whisky and Viz didn't, or most likely, Katsura just forgot.)

By the time Shonen Jump was licensed in English things were much tighter between Viz and Shueisha. I know that Shueisha didn't want I"s to be labeled "18+" because it would have meant lower sales, and I would be extremely surprised if Katsura hadn't approved everything in the Viz edition.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Nice to meet another Katsura fan! Generally it's safe to assume that any censorship in a foreign (English) edition of a manga was approved by the artist. (Although there are exceptions -- I remember that when I ran into Katsura at Comic-Con in 1999 or so, he wasn't even *aware* that Viz was publishing Video Girl Ai, although he was aware of Dark Horse's edition of Shadow Lady. -_- It might have been because Dark Horse's licensing people sent Katsura some chocolates and a bottle of whisky and Viz didn't, or most likely, Katsura just forgot.)

Always fun for me to meet another Katsura fan as well! Seems like his popularity in the US isn't quite that big anymore, most other fans of his I run into I have to navigate a language barrier as they speak either Spanish or French, which I...don't, regrettably. Razz

I have assumed that usually, edits had to be run by the original author, it seems like the only right way to go about it - I just meant I wasn't 100% sure on it, as I don't have any exact proof of it. I may or may not have it listed on my site that he okayed it, I can't remember, just with a note that I'm not completely sure on it. That's awesome that you've actually met Katsura though, I'm beyond jealous right now!

Quote:
By the time Shonen Jump was licensed in English things were much tighter between Viz and Shueisha. I know that Shueisha didn't want I"s to be labeled "18+" because it would have meant lower sales, and I would be extremely surprised if Katsura hadn't approved everything in the Viz edition.

True...I can see how labeling it as 18+ from the get go would have lowered sales, the big money is in that lower age bracket obviously, so the closer they could get to that the better.

Probably a dumb question, but you wouldn't happen to be the editor that Mr. Thompson mentions in the article, would you? Just a wild vibe I got, and if you are and are allowed to/up for it, you wouldn't happen to be willing to allow me to do an interview with you about your work on it would you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
They did a terrible job "erasing" the sides of the crosses in MAR. They turned them into sticks but they didn't bother to touch up the backgrounds which clearly show an outline of the missing pieces.

I don't think renaming 666 Satan to O-parts hunter was necessary. I know some people get overly sensitive when the word "Satan" is mentioned, but changing the name and leaving the manga unedited seems pointless. They're going to find out what its about once they start reading. If they left the title alone, they'd know before they read it.

If Beelzebub is licensed, then there's no doubt that they would stick some kind of diaper on Beel to cover up his private parts.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
scineram wrote:
You just never know if the work you are looking is what the person named on the cover drew.

And people wonder why manga piracy is rampant. I will never ever buy censored stuff, just import the official Japanese manga or Blu-rays, so I can get my uncensored material and still support the industry instead of finding excuses to be a cheapass.

Fixed that for you.

That's what I did, actually...Anime hyper

I hate Viz with passion and I refuse to give them another cent of my money. So I just import the Japanese manga and read the scanlations.

I wonder if someone would do an article on awkward/bad translations, because I can think of a few manga that should be mentioned.

What really makes the censorship laughable is that some of these manga are rated "Older Teen" by Viz and are still censored....

AgitoZ wrote:

As for the article itself, I found it rather interesting. Some I already knew, but the others I did not know were certainly enlightening. Although, I hoped Thompson would've mentioned one of my top peeves of translation and that would be dumbing down the language. I get that certain words can translate a number of different ways, but when a character whose in a live or death situation screams "darn" or "curses" it takes me out of the scene.

At least "darn" or "curses" are better than a character near death yelling "holy ham on rye with kraute." Rolling Eyes
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

The editting done to I"s has always been a little odd to me too, I mean...the series is definitely one that's not aimed at kids. Even without all the nude moments, the story in-of-itself just isn't the kind of thing that's going to interest too many really young people.
I''s ran in Shounen Jump like some other Katsura's series and other shounen romance manga, which contain more or less fanservice. It certainly is a genre that interests under 18 year olds.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
And only now do I recall that I think ptolemy is Jason Thompson actually. This is what I get for not coming on here extremely often. Embarassed

Mr. Nescio wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

The editting done to I"s has always been a little odd to me too, I mean...the series is definitely one that's not aimed at kids. Even without all the nude moments, the story in-of-itself just isn't the kind of thing that's going to interest too many really young people.
I''s ran in Shounen Jump like some other Katsura's series and other shounen romance manga, which contain more or less fanservice. It certainly is a genre that interests under 18 year olds.

In Japan, yes, but I don't see too many under 18 year olds interested in the romance genre in the US. I should have been clearer about what I meant there, my bad.

They'd be interested in romance, yes, but not too many would be interested in reading a manga about it I'd guess, sadly.

Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
RakuenOokami wrote:

And another manga censorship I'd like to bring up was the fourth volume of Kaori Yuki's Godchild. In one scene, the main character discovers a painting of a woman strangling a baby. In the censored version (which, mind you, they still put a 'mature content' label on the book for) the baby is removed, and all you see is a deranged looking woman. This leaves anyone who hasn't seen the original Japanese version wondering why the main character is so disturbed by a painting of a crazy looking lady.

Ahhh so that was in the painting! I was honestly confused by that reveal but for some reason I always forgot to google it. I actually thought it aluded to incest Anime hyper (which makes it worst but this is Godchild we are talking about Anime hyper)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, I'm not sure what to make of the manga industry anymore. You have those who want manga completely uncensored, then you have those who would tolerate it being censored as long as the story remains intact (only to have those same people blatantly contradict themselves when the previously censored manga is released uncensored) and then you have the industry that beats it into our skulls that their particular release method is the only way to ever release manga over here only to have the same industry contradict itself years later with uncut releases only to play coy with other releases that may or may not be uncensored.

It is times like these that make you stop and ask: "Why bother?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9