• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar Episodes 1-3 (Dub)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eat24foods

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The problem with everyone’s complaints is that you guys are judging the series as a whole versus Carl who is just reviewing the first three episodes which are the weakest in series. The first episode is a mess of Geminar jargon and poor world building, and is difficult to figure out what is what. Every female introduced in beginning are cutouts of the typical female characters seen in every other anime. The next two episodes are just fluff spoiler[like the graduation ceremony where the girls wear cat ears and swimsuits] and don’t add much to the actual series itself.

However, the series does get better. The episodes preceding these three do being to explain the foreign world known as Geminar and the jargon being used, the girls do being to gain personality and start to further themselves from the cutouts that used to appear like, and get into the actual plot spoiler[of Babalun invading the Holy Land and trying to resurrect Mechalord Gaia in order to conquer Geminar.]

Again, the series does get better and I did enjoy it a lot, but bashing Carl’s review just because he doesn’t agree with you guys doesn’t make up for the first three episodes' shortcomings and the shortcomings of the series as a whole (like the stiff animation even though the art is pretty). If you guys enjoyed War on Geminar, great for you and if Carl didn’t enjoy as much as you guys did, great for him. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quote
For once, can we at least have a review(er) bashed by someone who doesn't like the series?! Laughing
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I don't think you read very many of our reviews.

I have read quite a lot of them from 2002 to 2007, primarily covering the 90s anime I was into.

Quote:
You disagreed with Carl's review. That's fine. There are ways of expressing that where you aren't telling us that he's literally doing his job wrong because he doesn't agree with you.

I thought I did and I stand by what I said.

eat24foods wrote:
The problem with everyone’s complaints is that you guys are judging the series as a whole versus Carl who is just reviewing the first three episodes which are the weakest in series. The first episode is a mess of Geminar jargon and poor world building, and is difficult to figure out what is what.

The show's creator, MK, did the exact same thing in OAV3 and GXP. I wish he would learn "show, don't tell". Or at least that the journey is more important than getting there.

I agree with your general insight over the nature of the disagreement.

Mike Toole wrote:
Yeah, and what does Roger Ebert think when you ask him about subjective vs objective reviews?

I don't recall bringing up subjective or objective reviewing Smile
grimdrut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
As a new user, my first post here fell under pre-moderation and appeared mid-page after some people had added long posts, so please allow me to repeat this for those who come in through the latest post link. I don't want Carl to miss my thanks to him for a great review.

grimdrut wrote:
You should probably be aware that jibrilmudo is posting here as a representative of Useless Tenchi, a hardcore Tenchi fan forum where it's considered good form to hate ANN reviewers with a passion, because in their eyes you look down on the kind of harem and fanservice anime they cherish. A bitching session about this review is in progress there right now. Their basic belief is that you shouldn't review an anime unless you're a hardcore fan of its subgenre or, better yet, franchise, because otherwise you'll end up exposing its obvious faults and we can't have that. Truth be told, jibrilmudo is not nearly as extreme as some of the others there, but it's still worth knowing that the reviewer's style or verbosity is not the motivation here.

But that's not what I signed up to say. I did it to commend Carl on a spot on review which matches my own experience with War on Geminar almost to a tee. I'm more forgiving of the fanservice aspects, but that's about the only difference of opinion I have with his take. It doesn't happen very often that I end up feeling that a reviewer has read my mind, but in this case it's happened and the experience was worth delurking and thanking the man for a job well done. I quite literally couldn't have said it better myself.

I also need to say this to certain folks. The reason I mentioned jibrilmudo by name was because she was the one who took the fight here, but didn't mention what was behind it. I pointed out she wasn't as extreme as some of the others she hoisted the flag for, so get off my back. You can't expect me to start naming random people on another board who haven't posted here. Sue me if you think there's something wrong with revealing the unstated agenda behind trying to pin unprofessionalism on Carl just for approaching this show without hardcore fan bias.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
grimdrut wrote:
As a new user, my first post here fell under pre-moderation and appeared mid-page after some people had added long posts, so please allow me to repeat this for those who come in through the latest post link. I don't want Carl to miss my thanks to him for a great review.

grimdrut wrote:
You should probably be aware that jibrilmudo is posting here as a representative of Useless Tenchi, a hardcore Tenchi fan forum where it's considered good form to hate ANN reviewers with a passion, because in their eyes you look down on the kind of harem and fanservice anime they cherish. A bitching session about this review is in progress there right now. Their basic belief is that you shouldn't review an anime unless you're a hardcore fan of its subgenre or, better yet, franchise, because otherwise you'll end up exposing its obvious faults and we can't have that. Truth be told, jibrilmudo is not nearly as extreme as some of the others there, but it's still worth knowing that the reviewer's style or verbosity is not the motivation here.

But that's not what I signed up to say. I did it to commend Carl on a spot on review which matches my own experience with War on Geminar almost to a tee. I'm more forgiving of the fanservice aspects, but that's about the only difference of opinion I have with his take. It doesn't happen very often that I end up feeling that a reviewer has read my mind, but in this case it's happened and the experience was worth delurking and thanking the man for a job well done. I quite literally couldn't have said it better myself.

I also need to say this to certain folks. The reason I mentioned jibrilmudo by name was because she was the one who took the fight here, but didn't mention what was behind it. I pointed out she wasn't as extreme as some of the others she hoisted the flag for, so get off my back. You can't expect me to start naming random people on another board who haven't posted here. Sue me if you think there's something wrong with revealing the unstated agenda behind trying to pin unprofessionalism on Carl just for approaching this show without hardcore fan bias.

Haha. Well, can't say I'm surprised, but thanks for the context.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
jibrilmudo wrote:
I wish some actual harem fans could start reviewing harem titles. Just list the genre/sub-genre and the ones who dislike it can avoid it and no whine about genre has to occur within the review itself.

Yes, because anime fans needs to be fractured even more. I see no problem with this. What could go wrong?

Honestly, it feels like everyone's just trying to seek validation for their tastes, when it's not necessary. I've loved awful shows and hated great ones. It's okay to be different! After all, you're an anime fan; you're already different.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
This review is only based on the first three episodes, so I'm not sure why the fuss, unless there's a fear that a screener review of said episodes will kill sales for the rest of the series. For me, I'm much more interested to see a series review, whereupon the reviewer reflects on the entire series, not just the intro episodes.

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with the review here. ISM (or WOG as it is known now) did start off a bit rocky. I liked it, but as I said in my review of the first PPV episode from Japan, "...the first episode has nothing to mark it as some incredible anime, but I did find it interesting and fun to watch even without the Tenchi connection."

All I'll say for those who've not watched is that there's a ton of foreshadowing going on early on to establish things that will happen later on, though the nature of the early episodes, especially the first one, don't make that clear until after the later events happen (a typical Kajishima-sensei writing ploy).
grimdrut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Haha. Well, can't say I'm surprised, but thanks for the context.

You're welcome, Zac. I feel a little guilty now about how what I said resulted in you ridiculing those guys on Twitter pretty hard, but I suppose people with an agenda who try to snipe someone and get found out have it coming.
Tensami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
And I think Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey is the better film!

Last edited by Tensami on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 am; edited 3 times in total
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
grimdrut wrote:

Uh huh.

Look Atonashi, I'm sorry you got banned from the group but I'm not a mod or admin. All the members tried explaining to you multiple times that normal hentai linked with a NSFW tag was okay, but not to link to Sasami-chan hentai at all.

I had nothing to do with the final decision, I didn't even bring it to the attention of the mods, I'm just a lowly poster.

Please stop following board members around the net and taking it out on us.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
I made light of this whole thing on Twitter because it was funny to me, and the thread he linked to was funny to me as well (and many others, based on the reaction to those tweets!). You can't take this stuff too seriously or it'll poison you.

But for realsies, my Twitter feed isn't subject to whatever your irrelevant standards of "professionalism" are nor do I care about how you think I should behave.

You posted something in a public place, I linked to it. If you don't want people like me being able to see what you say about people like me, make it so people like me can't see what you're saying. Not that difficult to figure out.

At any rate this isn't the Weird Offsite Tenchi Forum Drama thread so shut up about it or I'm happy to get rid of the lot of you and lock the thread. Really no skin off my nose to do that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Wow, a bunch of "C"'s. So what. I still say this is gonna end up on Toonami after Tenchi Muyo! GXP ends its run. Besides, most of 'em are "C+"'s.

But the real question is this: since this review is from a screener disc, are the episodes 45 minutes long each as the OVAs were in Japan, or are they split down the middle. I ask this question because we might be evaluating the first 3 episodes of a 26-episode series instead of a 13-episode one, and it might have more room for improvement than it seems as the show goes on.

On the other hand, GXP started out decent but apparently winds up complete crap (Music="F"!?). I've only seen the first 11 episodes (on Toonami), so I don't know who to believe...

Well not everyone thinks it's complete crap. Sure the music leaves something to be desired,but it's not bad.

The only complain i ever had for GXP was the mindset for funi when they were doing their casting. Especially having Tony Oliver as Sena Yamada.

Dont get me wrong,he's a decent but when it comes to male teenage characters,he's no JYB (Johnny Young Bosch ),Yuri Lowenthal or Greg Ayres who can do teenage male leads very well even after all this time..

If GXP premiered when he did the voicework for Harmony Gold's version of the Macross series aka robotech or when he voiced as Ranmaru from Tokko, then you have me, but it's too many years now from him to voice as a decent teenage male lead and GXP proves my point. Funi should have used their own VA or use some from ADV for that series.

As for this one, it's definitely have some promise, & it's way too early to give it a death sentence. It's not like the original and Kenshi is definiely no Tenchi or Sena, but it definitely have something going.

However the odds of this series getting an Adult Swim broadcast is as the same as Queens Blade , Sekirei , Strike Witches , or Ikkitousen ( Though I REALLY REALLY PREY TO GOD THEY DO! ) getting one. slim to none. unless they go deadman wonderland on this series and do some very heavy editing or they do some serious convincing to the FCC to give them the same rights as IFC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Seina's voice was about the most annoying thing about him >.<
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the least annoying harem show I have seen. Also, this Kenshi is indeed lovely guy, with the great smooth voice (I do not mean the dub, I mean original). Considering that that there is more than enough of talks about it's weaker sides, I am not going to anime overkill mode.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
This was one of the least annoying harem show I have seen. Also, this Kenshi is indeed lovely guy, with the great smooth voice (I do not mean the dub, I mean original). Considering that that there is more than enough of talks about it's weaker sides, I am not going to anime overkill mode.

It's a classic show, and still watchable.

Kenshi, his brother? From the new OVA? I need to watch that, darnit.

I love the word joke on "Tenchi", it means "Heaven and Earth" (Ten and Chi), but the kanji is commonly used for "This end up" in packaging (Ten up, Chi down!). Anyone know if Muyo adds to that joke?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2