• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mai Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
kylain wrote:
The 夏姫 in 夏姫☆MAiD is a female name....

Nice theory, how about the fact that image at the top of the page has, in large red font with white outline and black drop shadow, 舞☆MAiD with the reading まい・スター・メイド given? Oh, and I guess the first series is called May Hime because it aired... in... no, wait, it didn't. Time for another of the famous ANN errata 'news items' again. Anyone would think they do it on purpose.

Rar
mon572001

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote
well lets see hOW this will turn out!!! lol. Shocked Very Happy [quote] oh my god! AGAIN!!!
hotso

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:13 am Reply with quote
So Mai isnt main character in this season? Maybe not. Atleast we get more stuff to watch.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
kylain wrote:
The 夏姫 in 夏姫☆MAiD is a female name, most likely Natsuki, however it can also be read Kaki, Natsushi, or (big important one here) Natsuhime. However those last three are less common if I remeber correctly (could be off, god only knows). Got this from good ol' Jim Breen's WWWJDIC.

So literally, Natsuki-Star-MAiD, or Natsuhime-Star-MAiD, and so on...hope that helps.

....Yes, but do you see the natsu before the mai kanji anywhere in that article or picture? Razz I wasn't asking what it meant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
....Yes, but do you see the natsu before the mai kanji anywhere in that article or picture? Razz I wasn't asking what it meant.

And 姫 is not 'the mai kanji' (もののけ姫 look familiar?) which isn't a part of the title at all... nor was it part of the Mai Hime title (as hime was a leet acronym and not 'princess'). Someone (you?) has now helpfully 'removed the natsu' and added the title '姫☆MAiD (Japanese)' to the anime entry... which is still wrong. Do *any* of the ANN editors read japanese?

Rar
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
You think they might try to push this series and make it a marketable franchise?

I'm just waiting to see how this installment goes and see where they go next. If they come up with another odd title I'll have to laugh my brains out then. Laughing

But hey you know the "fanservice" is coming. There was fanservice in the other one. Funny thing is that they didn't pull it too much. They actually concentrated on story. This one will probably be no different. But we'll see. Very Happy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
You think they might try to push this series and make it a marketable franchise?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Or a better question, don't companies do this with any anime that has had some modicum of success?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Is the Pope Catholic?

Or a better question, don't companies do this with any anime that has had some modicum of success?

Sure the Pope is Catholic! Not to mention German and OLD at that. Laughing

If this being the case, I wonder if they will try to make the series run like the 'Tenchi' franchise. Personally, it's been awhile since I watched anything SOOOOOO "cheesily good". Laughing

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the second season of May Hime, previously rumored to be called Mai-Hime Next Stage, is going to be called Mai Maid or 夏姫☆MAiD.

At first read, I thought the news bit was confusing Mai(My)-Hime with Hand Maid Mai, the Hand Maid May spin-off. I guess the writer couldn't decide which version of the the title to use. Might as well combine them, right? Laughing
Zecheriah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot to mention(since I'm sure some people missed it)...

Look at the girl in the picture. Now go to the last episode of the first season around 23:34. See that girl looking at the 'camera'? Surprised
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Zecheriah wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention(since I'm sure some people missed it)...

Look at the girl in the picture. Now go to the last episode of the first season around 23:34. See that girl looking at the 'camera'? Surprised

I long went back on that one. That was brought up in earlier post. There was so much argument as to whether that one shot smelled of a possible sequel, and sure enough it was. I really wonder where this story arc is going to fit.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Rar wrote:
And 姫 is not 'the mai kanji' (もののけ姫 look familiar?) which isn't a part of the title at all... nor was it part of the Mai Hime title (as hime was a leet acronym and not 'princess'). Someone (you?) has now helpfully 'removed the natsu' and added the title '姫☆MAiD (Japanese)' to the anime entry... which is still wrong. Do *any* of the ANN editors read japanese?

Rar

Wow, that... last part was kinda bordering on being rude. I dunno about the rest of us, but I do read Japanese. (I've inputted countless Japanese episode titles, romanizations, and some translations by now!) I'm quite aware which kanji reads hime and which one reads mai; I don't need a Mononoke Hime example to remember it, thanks (Especially since I'm a big King of Fighters fan, I'd be ashamed if I didn't know the kanji for "mai"). Last week, I was suffering from a really bad head cold. I kinda brainlessly glanced at it and thought there was just an excess kanji before the 'mai' ... Due to being so clogged up it never really clicked in my head that the hime kanji wasn't mai at all. o_O It's kinda funny. I'm finally much better today, so seeing that I seriously kept referring to hime as mai and even put in that extra entry is kinda boggling my mind. Anime hyper My fault for using the internet and trying to do encyclopedia stuff when I'm under the weather. Anime hyper;

Now I wanna know where the heck 夏姫 came from, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dojikyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
you'd think the copout ending, and the videogame would have told you they were aiming at making Mai Hime is marketing gimmick

I like the copout ending. Why should every anime end on a sad note? Did the ending really take that much away from the series?
As for the degeneration of the series ... The series did have a lot of fanservice and anime references from the very beginning. The only difference was the fact that it actually had a good story and good animation.

The only major thing that really stuck about the ending was
spoiler[The series pretty glossed over the student body president taking advantage of an unconscious Natsuki.]

Besides the ending was messed up enough in a funny way.
spoiler[ The nun got pregnant leaving the chruch in the care of Nao, Miyu and Alessya. Nao's advice: remove the competition and you'll be good enough.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I found the whole spoiler[Nao the Nun] scene hilarious.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:03 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I demand the third series to be called "Mai SLaVE"! Shocked Razz

Or how about "Mai-LOvE". I could almost smell this one. Razz Very Happy :lol

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3