• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Heart of Thomas GN

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Crowd sourcing copyediting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_fault_tolerance

Quote:
It can be shown that if n is the number of [workers] in total, and t is the number of [grotesque incompetents] in that n, then there are solutions to the problem only when n is greater than or equal to 3t + 1.

... which is to say we can prove mathematically that if more than a third of the people in a crowd-sourced problem-solving venture don't have a clue what they're doing, are open to making arbitrarilly-deranged mistakes, then the problem can't be regarded as solvable that way.
emmapeel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Thorn is a pro, and deserves your respect and empathy, not your scorn or thinly-veiled suggestions about how these things could be prevented if only you'd been paid to work on the book.

Lol seriously? No. I don't need the work. And I expressed no scorn for anyone involved. I think 1) the typos are a problem in a work with literary ambitions. 2) paying consumers have a right to complain about problems. 3) if it were my work, I would understand these things, not take them personally, and make sure the problems got fixed for the next edition.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
emmapeel wrote:
Zac wrote:
Thorn is a pro, and deserves your respect and empathy, not your scorn or thinly-veiled suggestions about how these things could be prevented if only you'd been paid to work on the book.

Lol seriously? No. I don't need the work. And I expressed no scorn for anyone involved. I think 1) the typos are a problem in a work with literary ambitions. 2) paying consumers have a right to complain about problems. 3) if it were my work, I would understand these things, not take them personally, and make sure the problems got fixed for the next edition.

Except for the whole "this book has typos and thus should've been edited by the internet and/or me" thing you said.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
This wasn't scheduled for release until March. I'll definitely drop by Kinokuniya this weekend and see if I can grab a copy. Smile
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Really now.

The amount of typos in this huge volume are not that bad. In fact, very few to be found when compared to other things in print of this size.

I read a lot of books, and there are typos everywhere. Even in the novels that are NYTimes top selling authors, and those works didn't even need to be translated beforehand. Editors are stretched thin these days, since print publishing is a cash-strapped operation.

... and a big ol' LOL to whoever suggested crowdsourcing. Those are some of the worst offenders I've seen. Bad grammar and spelling, abrupt changes in tone.... there is a reason why major publishers don't assign multiple editors to single authors.

edited to add: Beautiful review, Rebecca. I noticed how you managed to tease and not spoil. Deftly done!
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
emmapeel wrote:

Also I wonder about the phrase "le bebe," often used as an endearment in referring to Erich. That's fine when people are talking *about* him, but I would think it should be "mon bebe" when people are talking *to* him. (p. 332, p. 410) Eh, my french is not great so I could be wrong.

Well that would be something on Hagio's side since that's what she wrote. But, to me it doesn't raise eyebrows. The article "le" is often thought of as "the" in English. Which in that context for the scene on pg. 332 it would fit just fine. However, "le" is also is used to show familiarity or endearment with a proper noun just as the more possessive "mon" does (also in cases where ownership is obvious). In English a definite article such as "le" is often dropped sometimes because English has no grammatical gender. So I read Oskar's line on pg. 410 simply as "That's enough, Baby."

I have to say that I have Thomas in Japanese and now English and though the extra German gave me a little trouble, it is still Thomas even with the typos. So I'm happy that it is such a beautiful book to share more.
kailegh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:34 am Reply with quote
I marathoned it too, though not intentionally xD it just happened. The folded piece of not-a-box cardboard it shipped in was open, so while flipping through the pages/checking for damage, I sat down & ended up reading the whole thing. No regrets~
Potato07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I saw Mr. Matthew Thorn's apology on Amazon.ca before HoT'd came to me. Honestly, I think the typos are not that serious. Also, I kinda like his attitude. Not many people really go out to apology for making a mistake like this (especially in anime and manga circle), don't you think so?

I just love this book, both the presentation and the content. And nice review too.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY enjoyed this book. It's a beautiful story and I love how Fantagraphics published it all in a single, hard bound copy. It's obvious that a lot of TLC went into it.

Any word yet on how it's doing sales-wise? I hope well enough for Fantagraphics to take another stab at something like it. (Kaze to Ki no Uta anyone?)

I see Amazon lists it as...

#12,952 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#44 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Manga

Is that good?
emmapeel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Well that would be something on Hagio's side since that's what she wrote. But, to me it doesn't raise eyebrows. The article "le" is often thought of as "the" in English. Which in that context for the scene on pg. 332 it would fit just fine. However, "le" is also is used to show familiarity or endearment with a proper noun just as the more possessive "mon" does (also in cases where ownership is obvious). In English a definite article such as "le" is often dropped sometimes because English has no grammatical gender. So I read Oskar's line on pg. 410 simply as "That's enough, Baby."

Ah, thank you for that info, good to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2