• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Panty & Stocking Helmer Imaishi, Trigger Launch New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I can't help but think if the Inferno Cop praising is just people being sarcastic.

And this new series sounds good.. disappointed that Okada isn't working on it though. Her original stuff is gold.

Oh they aren't. Inferno Cop is gut-bustingly hilarious and immensely charming. It's Imaishi trolling the entire anime industry with a a work so intentionally bad it wraps around the badness continuum and becomes glorious. The terrible animation only helps to make things even more hilarious, as does the surreal and completely absurd "plot".

Really, it's just a fun show.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I only watched the first episode of Inferno Cop but it seemed like some cheap Newgrounds kinda thing to me. It was really terrible.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
I sure wish that second season of Panty and Stocking would happen Sad

You don't seem to understand the point of the ending it seems. It was a troll ending. Inferno cop is also bloody fantastic. Best show since Lost.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I can't help but think if the Inferno Cop praising is just people being sarcastic.

Well I can't speak for everybody, but I unironically LOVE Inferno Cop! It's so funny and relaxed and screwy. I look forward to it every week!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I only watched the first episode of Inferno Cop but it seemed like some cheap Newgrounds kinda thing to me. It was really terrible.

It's almost as if Inferno Cop is intentionally surreal and terrible!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Man that looks "mad" wild.

Okay, I'm in gotta see what the madman Imaishi will come up with next.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It's about damn time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm not. The low quality is part of the enjoyment, and the entertainment value is incredibly high.
RyanSaotome wrote:

Each to their own. There's nothing you're missing, you just don't find it funny or inspired while I and others do. spoiler[Humour is subjective]. It's not that it's the dumbest, worst animated, funniest, cleverest show or anything else - it's just Inferno Cop, and it's probably the best quality intentional laziness I've seen. The plot developments not merely illogical but a reversal of logic that is so complete it is satisfying in itself.

That said, it is somewhat amusing to refer to Inferno Cop like an established masterpiece, while its production quality and fan reception is obviously lower. It is true that I would be satisfied if I enjoyed the new project half as much. Darkness, schoolgirls and giant pairs of scissors are always fun.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Cool! Cool image and Imaishi's pretty awesome, can't wait to see more about what this is.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Is Inferno Cop essentially the Japanese equivalent of Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Sealab 2021? That's what its sounding like, and I love those shows.

I loved P&SwG and I'll definitely be looking forward to this new project.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sleverin wrote:
Is Inferno Cop essentially the Japanese equivalent of Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Sealab 2021? That's what its sounding like, and I love those shows.

I loved P&SwG and I'll definitely be looking forward to this new project.

Sort, except Inferno Cop is way funnier. It's the same kind of "surreal and short with intentionally awful animation" style.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for a LONG time to see more from the amazing, insane man known as Imaishi Hiroyuki. Anime hyper
I thought he was the one that gave Gainax their strongest identity and I was devastated that he left....Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2