• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo 2007 in Long Beach

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Heheh. While reports of us having a large treasury are extremely overrated, we've got a pretty good gig set up at LBCC. If I understood correctly, I think we have the ENTIRE convention center plus arena. We won't be sharing space with anybody that year.
So this year, space was shared? With whom? Last question, I promise. Gee, I hope LBCC will be able to accomodate all those fans, we wouldn't want a 20,000 person cutoff line.
idrisfynn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
On the plus side for people who'd need to fly in, Jet Blue's main hub is Long Beach so it'll be cheap 'n easy to get there. I think I'll go next year. Twisted Evil
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
So this year, space was shared? With whom?

AX has had a long standing tradition of having to share convention space with some sort of odd group. We've had to share with religious conventions more times than I can count, although this year we shared with a pharmaceutical convention on the first day (which screwed up hotel booking royally for our staff) and halfway through the con there was some sort of India style wedding.

There may have been others too, but those ones I mentioned were just the ones I saw sharing the Hilton.
xmyrin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
.Sy wrote:
So this year, space was shared? With whom?

AX has had a long standing tradition of having to share convention space with some sort of odd group. We've had to share with religious conventions more times than I can count, although this year we shared with a pharmaceutical convention on the first day (which screwed up hotel booking royally for our staff) and halfway through the con there was some sort of India style wedding.

There may have been others too, but those ones I mentioned were just the ones I saw sharing the Hilton.

I remember sharing with other weird groups too. I remember the wedding at the Hilton, too. LBCC wasn't bad, it just wasn't particularly good. I think the size and set up of ACC is much more conducive for our event, and the area is nicer, but I'd take LBCC over LACC anyday.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Yeesh... I remember the nightmares of 2002 - and then I think about how much larger AX has grown. Shocked

Anybody remember the dealer room problems?

oh god I dont want to go thru that agien Hours long lines every day. Anihiem is so much better only lines were in the morning and then it was like ok poof come in.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm guessing AX also have the part of the convention center that is often used for the Long Beach Ice Dogs, ne? It's really huge. It'll be a good place for registration or exhibit hall.
Neoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait... wait... so you guys are being bullied by a bunch of nobody faternity/religous group. Who drive around in small cars and wear cup hats. I... I... don't even know what to say now...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Congradulations, Neoth. You are officially ignorant.

First off, the Shriners are a big contributor to charities and to community projects and whatnot. You don't diss people who do that for reasons other than planend philanthrophy. Never.

Plus, they're freemasons, and if you believe the conspiracies, freemasons rule the world. I wouldn't be surprised if a Freemason is on his or her way to your house right now. Twisted Evil
tstidm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The Shriners convention came to Baltimore and be glad they are in Anaheim in 2007 and AX is in Long Beach. They brought 30,000 to the convention center. They are a lot of parties surrounding that convention. I think it could be a workable facility with the Arena. The arena will make a great main events hall with 13,000 for Masquerade a possibility.
Neoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Congradulations, Neoth. You are officially ignorant.

First off, the Shriners are a big contributor to charities and to community projects and whatnot. You don't diss people who do that for reasons other than planend philanthrophy. Never.

Plus, they're freemasons, and if you believe the conspiracies, freemasons rule the world. I wouldn't be surprised if a Freemason is on his or her way to your house right now. Twisted Evil

Giving to charitity does not automatically make someone a good person. Merely, someone who is "nice". There could be plenty of atternative reasons for someone to help, or give money. I'm sure you can agree that not all of the reasons are/could be "good".

This has nothing to do with me believing in their ideas. Merely the fact that even suggesting that the Shriners go some place else is like, "Oh crap, we better not mess with them. They'll do something to us." Like they're holy than thou.

Many people are complaining, including some of the people here on the forum, on how the AX being in Long Beach will be terrible. Yet, won't even bother to fight(protest, whatever the AX staff does to keep their conventions where they are) the Shriners? What is up with that?
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It's not like they are going go against people, who in their own right, went ahead and reserved the area way before AX did. It's all about first-come, first-serve.
Neoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
It's not like they are going go against people, who in their own right, went ahead and reserved the area way before AX did. It's all about first-come, first-serve.

I know, that is my point. People are complaining about how the AX won't be held in Anahiam, because the Shriners had reserve it. Yet, people were still complaining, but when sudden people find out it is the Shriners. Every keeps their mouths shut.

I wonder... if it had been another orangization that nobody had hear about, or isn't important. Would more people come out openly to complain?

People should either accept that the Shriners will be in Anahiam and stop complaining, and/or keep complaining about how people will have to be in Long Beach for AX. But don't complain; then suddenly stop because of fear and/or finding out the people who got Anahiam is some special group.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
Neoth wrote:

I know, that is my point. People are complaining about how the AX won't be held in Anahiam, because the Shriners had reserve it. Yet, people were still complaining, but when sudden people find out it is the Shriners. Every keeps their mouths shut.

Stay quiet, please. It has nothing to do with *who* the Shriners are...and everything to do with HOW MANY of them there are, and how much money they bring to a convention center and the surrounding hotels. AX simply can't compete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This is all about business. However, I would have thought that AX would have set up a long-term deal with Anaheim to prevent such interruptions. (unless the report that the Shriners set this up as far back as 2003, then it really couldn't be helped) Moving to LBCC is a major disappointment considering all the issues back in 01 and 02. I doubt these will improve with a reported doubling of numbers since 2002. Mabe getting off the July4th weekend could solve this matter and AX would avoid LB alltogether.
jotaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, although AX 2007 will be in Long Beach, it's actually not as small as people think. Last few times when AX was there, a half or a third of the halls were rented out by other events. So for next year, AX better rents out all the halls, it should be able to handle 40000+ people.

Anaheim CC is overall much larger than Long Beach CC, more spacey and easier to walk around, but just for the hall spaces to hold dealer rooms and registration, LBCC is a bit bigger actually.

The only things that I don't like about LBCC is all the attendances will need to walk under the sun back and forth to travel between different halls. Plus all the waiting lines will be outside the halls, we'll all be fried under the sun if we're waiting for the big events.

The good thing about LBCC is we get many good restaurants with very easy walk. Just right across the LBCC, last year it opened with some new restaurants and fast food places, like Islands, California Pizza Kitchen, and Kelly's Coffee...etc. Or walk up north to Pine Ave or south to Shoreline Village. No convention food Smile

I personally like ACC better, but LBCC is still pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2