• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atelier Ayesha's English Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Theres no way I'd ever play or watch something focused on moe in a dub. American dubbers just can't do the moe voices well.. its mainly 40+ year old women doing all the female voicing, and it just sounds so awkward and painful to hear them try to sound cute. So its pretty much Japanese track or nothing for stuff like this.

You might call it petty, but I'm not going to be playing it either way if they continue with dubbed only releases, so I'll take that risk.

There are english dubbers who can do moe pretty well (Cherami Leigh and Laura Bailey are the two come off of the top of my head, Leigh doing "bubbly cute" moe and Bailey doing "bitchy tsundere" moe), but an English moe voice is just not going to sound the same as a Japanese one.

Bottom line is: The west is just more subdued in acting than Japan. In Japan, they prefer very bombastic and highly exaggerated performances, while the west prefers a more subtle and subdued performance. English dubbers inevitably sound less "emotional" due to this, but it's not for lack of talent--western culture is simply not conducive to the very cartoonish and high-energy style the Japanese use. Therefore, any English actor dubbing a moe character is going to sound much more subdued than her Japanese counterpart.

Now, this doesn't excuse the travesty of a situation this whole Ayesha thing has been (no JP dub, no marketing, partial ENG dub), but I'm just saying.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
OMG how many Atelier games are there???!!! I keep waiting for the newest one to drop in price and b4 that happens an even newer one comes out!!! Now I have to wait another year--Gaaah

There are 4 for the PS3. No new ones have been announced for Japan since Ayesha released last year.

Atelier Rorona, Totori and Meruru are related. Ayesha is completely separate.
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
OMG how many Atelier games are there???!!! I keep waiting for the newest one to drop in price and b4 that happens an even newer one comes out!!! Now I have to wait another year--Gaaah

There are 4 for the PS3. No new ones have been announced for Japan since Ayesha released last year.

Atelier Rorona, Totori and Meruru are related. Ayesha is completely separate.

So for someone who is brand new to the series but really wants to get into it should they track down Rorona or just get the Ayesha release? Or does it even matter can I just go down to the game store and buy whatever one they have?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
OtakuKitten wrote:

So for someone who is brand new to the series but really wants to get into it should they track down Rorona or just get the Ayesha release? Or does it even matter can I just go down to the game store and buy whatever one they have?

Ayesha is a completely separate world from the the PS3 games. Rorona, Totori, and Meruru form the Arland trilogy but Ayesha has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Starting with Meruru isn't the greatest idea because most of the characters are from the first two games. Totori has a few returning characters but not knowing them shouldn't be an issue. Totori and Meruru are vastly better games than Rorona, which seems to be widely considered to be the weakest game.

If you want to play the previous games, I'd recommend starting with Totori. But you can also just jump in with Ayesha. Since I haven't played Ayesha yet, I don't know whether its a better starting point than Totori.
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
I think Im done with this series... I loved the past games, but Im in Taiwan. The game is just not fun enough to cost me 100$+ including shipping.

Someone play it and tell me how it is.

[/quote]
So for someone who is brand new to the series but really wants to get into it should they track down Rorona or just get the Ayesha release? Or does it even matter can I just go down to the game store and buy whatever one they have?[/quote]

Ayesha is completly different. The format and gameplay should be the same, but the story is different. Its practically a new game with the same engine.

Last edited by Starsplash Taiwan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

There are english dubbers who can do moe pretty well (Cherami Leigh and Laura Bailey are the two come off of the top of my head, Leigh doing "bubbly cute" moe and Bailey doing "bitchy tsundere" moe), but an English moe voice is just not going to sound the same as a Japanese one.

As someone who became a fan of Laura Bailey from her gaming voice-overs, she can definitely do "cute, bubbly moe." Rise from Persona 4 and Marta from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World come to mind.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Rise always seemed to be more like a salacious flirt to me. Cute, but not moe.

I had her roles as Raspberyl in Disgaea 3 and Platinum in Blazblue in mind. Those really show off her "bitchy loli" side. Man, If GJ-Bu ever got dubbed, she'd be the PERFECT Mao.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
I have never played the Atelier series but it looks interesting. I think NISA does very well with catering to Western niche fans, so it seems sad that they aren't publishing this one. However, the bits of plot I've seen look interesting, so problems aside, I may start with Ayesha.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
OMG how many Atelier games are there???!!!

Atelier Ayesha is project A14, which doesn't include the handheld games. Of those, we've gotten three Atelier Iris games and two Mana Khemia games on the PS2, and Rorona, Totori, Meruru, and now Ayesha, on the PS3. (And Atelier Annie on the Nintendo DS.)
The main line games come out about once a year.
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
OtakuKitten wrote:

Ayesha is a completely separate world from the the PS3 games. Rorona, Totori, and Meruru form the Arland trilogy but Ayesha has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Starting with Meruru isn't the greatest idea because most of the characters are from the first two games. Totori has a few returning characters but not knowing them shouldn't be an issue. Totori and Meruru are vastly better games than Rorona, which seems to be widely considered to be the weakest game.

If you want to play the previous games, I'd recommend starting with Totori. But you can also just jump in with Ayesha. Since I haven't played Ayesha yet, I don't know whether its a better starting point than Totori.

Thanks so much! I think I might track down Totori and wait for the reviews of Ayesha. Although since I will have to buy used copies of the first three I might buy Ayesha anyway. Laughing
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I picked this up last night, and played it a little bit. It looks like about as good place to start as any of the Arland games. It was kind of weird though, after finishing a section that must have counted as prologue, to see a title sequence that prominently credited the Japanese voice actors, such as Marina Inoue, in romaji, while there weren't, by that point, any credits to NISA or the English-language voice actors.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nocturne123 wrote:
Donpablo wrote:
It's a shame about the partial dub, that news was enough to kill me getting the game. I played the previous Arland games in english so that doesn't phase me. But not giving the same love and care as they did before Tecmo Koei took over does.

I for one fear their next release off half baked releases stateside. (if there are any after this nugget).

ALL of the Atelier games for the PS3 were partial dubs. I don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of it. If you go to both tracks in the games, the Japanese side has more voice acting than the English side. It didn't hurt my enjoyment of the game either. People are so petty that they will let something like such destroy the chances of any of the future games getting released outside of Japan.

Theres no way I'd ever play or watch something focused on moe in a dub. American dubbers just can't do the moe voices well.. its mainly 40+ year old women doing all the female voicing, and it just sounds so awkward and painful to hear them try to sound cute. So its pretty much Japanese track or nothing for stuff like this.

You might call it petty, but I'm not going to be playing it either way if they continue with dubbed only releases, so I'll take that risk.

1. The "cute" voice isn't exactly much better in Japanese. 2. This is a game, not an audio book. They exist for one purpose. GAMEPLAY. If you play a game for anything else other than that, then you're not only an idiot, but a sheep, because like the rest of the gaming generarion of today, you want graphics and plot, rather than gameplay. Before you call me a hypocrite for "getting mad" over Square not putting the JP track, I only want the JP track as an extra. I love the English versions of those games. Outside Animaze, Bang Zoom and Disney, Square usually has the best dubs, but I really do not give a shit outside gameplay focus. This is why Mario games are the best. Gameplay first, extras later.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Atelier games are like half visual novel, anyway. If you want a game that doesn't have a lot of focus on voices and text you're looking at the wrong game to make those complaints about.

And yes, I'm pretty much an RPG player, so I do want plot. Doesn't matter how good the "Gameplay" is if I couldn't care less about the story or characters like with so many of those big Western titles these days.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
One emphasis of the Atelier games for quite some time has been character interaction. I haven't read up on Ayesha's endings, but I know that for the Arland games, a major criterion on what ending you get is how much you manage to get various characters to like the Main Character. In Ayesha, you get points for going up to people and talking to them, which, after a few levels of indirection, may lead to improved character statistics. After the first hour, I think I had seen combat once, consisting of throwing a bag of potpourri at a critter.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Atelier games are like half visual novel, anyway. If you want a game that doesn't have a lot of focus on voices and text you're looking at the wrong game to make those complaints about.

And yes, I'm pretty much an RPG player, so I do want plot. Doesn't matter how good the "Gameplay" is if I couldn't care less about the story or characters like with so many of those big Western titles these days.

You just admitted you're a sheep. You're not a gamer and you weren't born when Sonic 2, Genesis and Mario were around. These games had no plot, but execeled in the most important thing. Gameplay. Sonic 3 is one of the best games of all time for its high speed gameplay. Stop playing video GAMES if you're not focusing on GAMEPLAY.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3