• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach GN 34

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bingal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Also I kinda doubt it goes downhill again.

Sure it wont reach to the level of the soul socirty arc, but it definitely wont go down like that. That i am certain.

Oh, it already has. The Hueco Mundo arc will finish with not only a very pretentious wallbanger, but also a completely nonsensical plot twist that showcases just how much Kubo Tite makes everything up on the spot. The man has no idea what to do with his story, and it shows.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, THIS point in the story, I find myself talking about these battles a lot when discussing Bleach as they highlight how Kubo loves to just ditch characters with no explanation rather than come up with an actual use or reasonable piece of closure for them.

Case in point: Gimmjow, still alive when the Nnoitra battle started, but is never seen nor mentioned again. Same thing with Nel, after Kenpachi showed up in this volume, that was her gone without explanation. spoiler[Did Orihime and company just ditch her in Los Noches when Aizen was beaten? Seems a real dick move considering she was the only help the good guys found in all Hueco Mundo.]

I used to love Bleach, but it has seriously lost it's momentum the past couple of years.

My personal pet peeve is spoiler[Kubo's inability to let any 'good guys' die. Halibel and Stark can both die from some relatively minor looking slashes and yet Momo Hinamori can survive having her ribs punched into her lungs and then having a Bankai charged Zanpakuto blasted right through her chest? fudge's sake, Hiyori survived being literally cut in half and lying untreated for a considerable length of time. Bleach is about as balanced as Marvel vs Capcom 2 with the logistics of it's characters strengths and abilities.]
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
Ah yes, THIS point in the story, I find myself talking about these battles a lot when discussing Bleach as they highlight how Kubo loves to just ditch characters with no explanation rather than come up with an actual use or reasonable piece of closure for them.

Case in point: Gimmjow, still alive when the Nnoitra battle started, but is never seen nor mentioned again. Same thing with Nel, after Kenpachi showed up in this volume, that was her gone without explanation. spoiler[Did Orihime and company just ditch her in Los Noches when Aizen was beaten? Seems a real dick move considering she was the only help the good guys found in all Hueco Mundo.]

I used to love Bleach, but it has seriously lost it's momentum the past couple of years.

My personal pet peeve is spoiler[Kubo's inability to let any 'good guys' die. Halibel and Stark can both die from some relatively minor looking slashes and yet Momo Hinamori can survive having her ribs punched into her lungs and then having a Bankai charged Zanpakuto blasted right through her chest? fudge's sake, Hiyori survived being literally cut in half and lying untreated for a considerable length of time. Bleach is about as balanced as Marvel vs Capcom 2 with the logistics of it's characters strengths and abilities.]

Your post (specially the final spoiler) pretty much summarizes the CORE of what's wrong with Bleach. It's not its only FLAW, that's for sure, but it's the biggest one. When you see X character losing a limb but you know "somehow it's going to HEAL" it already kills the mood of a FIGHTING manga a lot (I mean, what's in stake then?), but when it gets as ridiculous as what you stated with certain Vaizard, then any other mistake (like plot holes, anticlimatic closures, etc) gets twice as annoying.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:

Case in point: Gimmjow, still alive when the Nnoitra battle started, but is never seen nor mentioned again. Same thing with Nel, after Kenpachi showed up in this volume, that was her gone without explanation. spoiler[Did Orihime and company just ditch her in Los Noches when Aizen was beaten? Seems a real dick move considering she was the only help the good guys found in all Hueco Mundo. ]

Agree with that mortal wounds point, Remember when spoiler[Ichigo was almost cut in two by Aizen in volume 20 more or less? He did not even lose consciousness and by the next chapters he was not even asleep. I guess he had points for being a main character, but that was really pushing it. These Soul Reapers are kind of exaggerated.]

Another thing that bothered me is how spoiler[. Ulquiorra could have killed Ichigo, but he decided to let him just mortally wounded (I guess he did not read my previous point). He could have killed Ichigo as Aizen ordered it and the end. Why didn't he do it? Was it the script or Ulquiorra was secretely in love with Ichigo? Even Byakuya do the same, magically forgetting of Urahara's existence.]
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I Pretty much agree with this review except for the part about translating the attack names, that would be utterly retarded.

Can you honestly say you would rather hear ichigo say "Moon-Fang Heaven Piercer"?

I mean for one, they would never be able to fit that with the dub and make it sync up with the lips, and two it just sounds ridiculous.

Anyway this arc was alright, but it all leads up to spoiler[a final fight that is such a let down, and even at the end after all ichigo's powering up he still couldn't beat aizen by himself, and he lost his powers.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
I Pretty much agree with this review except for the part about translating the attack names, that would be utterly retarded.

Can you honestly say you would rather hear ichigo say "Moon-Fang Heaven Piercer"?

How do you think it sounds to native Japanese speakers? I think the idea of leaving certain text untranslated so it sounds cooler and exotic is ... perhaps not dishonest, but misleading. And it's no less goofy than the Spanish or German named attacks the Arrancar and Ishida use, respectively.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I enjoyed this volume, but I guess I don't mind non-stop fighting.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
bleach deserves an F- based on these comments.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Bingal wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Also I kinda doubt it goes downhill again.

Sure it wont reach to the level of the soul socirty arc, but it definitely wont go down like that. That i am certain.

Oh, it already has. The Hueco Mundo arc will finish with not only a very pretentious wallbanger, but also a completely nonsensical plot twist that showcases just how much Kubo Tite makes everything up on the spot. The man has no idea what to do with his story, and it shows.

Well I don't think so. Also have very interesting filler arc in the anime instead of the mind thumbing fillers that was the filler arc for naruto.

My best of the bleach fillers is the bount , though this new arc that is coming on adult swin with the soul reapers againt their own swords looks really really interesting.

Though I do agree with the other poster that for some reason not one of the good guys have died as yet , and that it had lost it's spark after the rescue arc, but the series has not died out as yet and if we know anything from shouen jump series , they will have a arc that will always pull you in right when you were about to give up. it happend with naruto and one piece, it will happen for bleach too. At least I have time to wait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2