• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III's Zenigata/Yamato Captain's Voice Actor Goro Naya Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
The View from a Giant's shoulders is awesome.

RIP.

A Japanese dub of Combat!? My father would have been stunned, it was one of his all time favorite shows.

Mark Gosdin
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Rest In Peace, Goro Naya.

You were one of the most iconic, most influential voice actors to had ever served Japanese media. You will be missed.

That said, I'll pop in a Lupin III DVD and watch some episodes tonight in his honor.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. I don't think I can put it into words how I feel, not nearly as well as Apollo-kun did earlier, but this is incredibly sad news, not near what I expected to read as I get online before going to work.

I'm really only familiar with Naya's work as Zenigata (though I have heard his small role in the first Dragon Ball movie), but that's the only role you need to realize how truly amazing this guy was. I've been in love with the Lupin franchise ever since I first saw the movies that FUNimation nabbed, and I've seen some of Geneon's stuff, so I'm well acquainted with the various dub casts - but good as they are, there's a magic to the original Lupin cast that has never gone away ever since the first time I heard a clip of it. And do you know who's voice it was that I heard first and made me listen to more of it to begin with? Goro Naya's Zenigata.

Godspeed Naya, you will be greatly, greatly missed. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I knew him for several of his roles, not "just" Zenigata... Sad

R.I.P.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite voice actors. Sad

Naya was an expert at playing those "honorable old man" parts that I love so much. Okita, Merkatz, Yupa, and Zenigata were all made more substantial by his considerable voice talents.

It was always a treat to hear his signature voice pop up in random guest spot places over the last couple of years (like his brief turns in One Piece, GitS:SAC, and Monster). His gruff old man intonations will be missed indeed.

-DA
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Sad I think he was Ultraman too!
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the classic Kamen Rider, and Goro Naya's voicework as the evil Great Leader ("Gureito Reedah"?) is incomparable. It says loads that he kept being brought back to voice the main villain of the Showa-Era Kamen Rider shows.

Alas, now the Riders don't have anyone to fight.

RIP, Naya. You did well.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Leaving a legacy and rich career such as his behind is something that very few people get to do in their lives. He'll be missed.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
A shame another talented Japanese voice actor has left us. While I haven't heard Naya's Zenigata, I have heard his voice as Bongo in the first Dragon Ball movie (ironically Robert O. Smith, who voiced the character in the 1995 English dub, passed away a couple of years ago), and his voice was very memorable, and so right for the character. Him and Mami Koyama (who voiced his character's partner) played off each other very well.

Providing the voice for incredible figures like Clark Gable and John Wayne should be enough of an indicator of how talented this dude was.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Though you have left us,
the gift you have left behind,
will forever be a part of our hearts,
and for that,
we are eternally greatful.

Goodnight, Sweet Prince.....
and Thank You.

Goro Naya
1929 ~ 2013 Crying or Very sad
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This is sad news, though since Goro hasn't been too active in acting due to his health I was expecting this to happen eventually. After spending almost a good decade watching almost every Lupin anime in exsistence, I can say for a fact that Goro Naya was great as the voice of the Interpol officier who dedicates his life to apprehend Lupin over either hatred or delite. For doing the voice for more than 40 years until retiring the role is quite a dedication to be known by. I also like how Goro Naya did the voice of Goemon for the Pilot Film from the late 60's making him one of the fewest actors to be part of the Lupin franchise from the very start along with Eiko Masuyama & Kiyoshi Kobayashi.

I give my condolences to everyone who knew him best, and I wish Koichi Yamadera the best of luck on continuing being the voice of Zenigata for years to come.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Goodbye, Captain, Inspector...
Goro Naya. Rest in Peace. Sad
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely devastating news. R.I.P Naya~san. Truly a legend among legends of the Japanese Voice Over world.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P.

I give his family and friends my condolances.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised; his role as Zenigata in the last few Lupin specials prior to the "Fujiko Mine" TV series kept shrinking to the point of having the character barely appear at all. Obviously, it was a sign of the man's failing health.

But nonetheless, Goro Naya will be missed. His manic, over the top role as the Inspector did a lot in making Lupin into a monolithic franchise that's become so near and dear to the hearts of many fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3