• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Coming Up Short

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
No love for REC? >:
I think he was mainly going for shows with short episode runtimes, not low episode counts. Though for the latter, there were also the 6-episode drama series Shingami's Ballad and Hantsuki, which came out around the same time Rec did.

Quote:
as well as fansub oldies such as Rizelmine. (Yep, I just called a digital fansub an “oldie.”)
2002 would be considered old by general anime audiences these days, as would most low-res/4:3 shows. But at least Rizelmine did recently get a much-needed update in the fansub scene...
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
What? No love for PoyoPoyo? My favorite short anime!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Finally had a chance to read the entry. Really enjoyed it.

In my experience over the years I often found that anime that was shorter in length always had many strengths. It would give you just enough to get hooked without going overboard. But then you find yourself wanting more. The question is could you continue to sit through say 100+ more of these episodes?

I had the chance of watching Ippatsu Kiki Musume. Oh gawd, that thing had me in stitches. I just took a chance DL'ding it one day. Never heard anything about it on any of the forums. Little did I realize what I was in for. My first reaction was that if this was ever released on DVD I would want to own it. But again these are those types of series that are not so much under the radar but they have no marketing value. They just exist as spot fillers and they end up on your shelves because you bothered to record it. Then you share it with your friends and tell them how you are in possession of a rare gem. Because that's what it ends up being. Does anyone remember the episode where she had the broom handle up her butt trying to solve a problem? But I do remember the snake.

I never heard of Masaru-san, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. After Jubei-chan The Ninja Girl Akitarou Daichi has become one my all time favorite comedy director. The man is just insane. Plus, I'm a huge fan of comedy. Especially in anime. If the show doesn't get me going then it's a lost cause.

I've seen Ebichu. I couldn't believe the stuff they got away with in that show. It was hilarious, but I was pretty surprised, then again it wasn't a show for kids anyway. The funny thing is that they got Mitsuishi Kotono (Masato of Evangelion) as the voice of Ebichu. As well as other notable's Seki Tomokazu (Touya of CCS). If this series was licensed I'd buy it. That whole ANN April Fool's joke almost had me. Thanks to remembering the joke, I won a gift at one of ANN panels some years ago. It was probably either the now defunct NYAF or NYCC.

I've seen Colorful. Oh gawd that was a hilarious mess. I bought that for my collection too. It was just too good to pass up. Then he would go on to illustrate 'Maka-Maka' with his own brand of attractive females. The man knows his women anatomy well. Yeah, that title is confusing.

I didn't know that Azumanga Daioh originally aired as smaller episodes. I guess we picked up the longer set. I'd be curious to view this series in that format just to see how it worked. Because even though the show was hilarious, there were times it did feel a bit pushed. So most likely it was probably due to the fact that the EPs were combined. I read the manga later and I realized the difference in the whole 4-panel format vs some of the clips they ran in the longer segments. But I still enjoy it immensely anyway. Hell, it was the first series that I watched on a old streaming site and then ran out and bought the individual vols. the next day. I know that fans have been wanting a Yotsuba cartoon for a long time. And there is the issue of how it would work as TV series. But considering how the stories in each chapter are laid out, Yotsuba would work as a 10 - 15min ep. segment. Not as a full 25 ep. segment. But chances are you would still get what happened to Azumanga.

I have heard of Usavich, and for the life of me I had wondered about this show. A Japanese show with art by a Russian artist. Well, can't be any odder than Rodney Greenblat doing illustrations for Pocky and the infamous Parappa the Rapper series. Gregory Horror show is another I was puzzled about but never bothered. But I've seen Usavich bouncing around the net quite a bit. Maybe I'll take look.

gdgd Fairies, that already looks like "crack". Heard of it, never saw what it was about. Didn't even think the title was real. It's like a title for an online game. I may have to take a look at this.

Neo Ranga, I saw part of this series years ago. A friend picked up from the local "hole in the wall" shops in Chinatown that specialize in bootlegging commercial tapes, as well as selling fansubs while removing the group's name from the work. This was during the early age of digital fansubs. Some fansubbed titles were placed on VHS tape and sold online through some sites. Neo Ranga was one of those titles. It was a title that intrigued me. But the racy cover wasn't enough to keep me glued. A 48 eps show of 15 min each, and I was intimidated, because I just couldn't get into the pacing of the series. I'd find myself wanting to watch it but I just couldn't find the moment. It was just that at the time I was not ready for a show of this kind. Just like Berserk. And yes, the covers were highly deceptive. But that was only part of why I wanted to try and get through the show. I wanted to know what the secret was behind the girls and the giant behemoth connected to them. Hopefully, I'll get the chance of seeing the series now that I've matured a bit. Wink

Polar Bear Cafe, somehow they managed to do short segments and turn them into a full length show. It still works, because the writing and jokes really keeps you going except for some that aren't so much. Sometimes it's the pacing depending on the type of episode it is. But they still do a good job of grabbing it's viewers. Though I've heard the manga is very different. I'd be curious to see how much so in comparison to the show. Did the show do a better job interpreting the work, and vice versa? I love the show I would love a release, but I doubt that would happen.

Yeah, there are quite of bit of short shows that work well and keep you glued, some even shorter and some that run longer but feel like 10 or 15 min segments. Here's some titles that I thought of that run short while others run longer but could be broken into shorter segments.

Shrine of the Morning Mist 12min eps. at 26 eps
Time of Eve 15 mins at 6 eps.
Chi's Sweet Home series 3 mins at 104 eps
D4 Princess series 13 mins per ep. at 24 eps.
The Fuccons 5 min at 26 eps.
Panda Z 5 min at 30 eps.
Risky Safety 10 min at 24 eps.
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan series 13 min per ep. at 12 eps.
Magical Witch Punie-chan 12 min at 8 eps.
Hanaukyo Maid-Tai TV 15 mins at 12 eps.
Hanaukyo Maid-Tai OVA 14 mins at 3 eps. (could have sworn there was more than 3.)
You're Under Arrest Specials 8 min at 21 eps.
Kogepan 4 min at 10 eps
Kappa no Kaikata aka How to Raise a Kappa 4 min at 26eps
Bincho-tan 12 min at 12 eps.
Potemayo This was an odd one. It's listed as 12 eps breaking into 2 segments making a total of 24 eps. Yet you can't find any info on how long each ep. was. I managed to find the BandaiChannel on YT and the counter is at 23+ mins. So chances are if the show is pushing the 24 min mark then each segment could be around 10+ to 12 mins. Yet some eps feel somewhat continuous.

These were just to name a few, most of which I've watched some or all of the shows, with the exception of Risky Safety, Kogepan and Time of Eve. I'd heard and followed them but just never got around to watching. That somewhat follow that short rule. But I'm sure there's tons more. I do have to agree that short does work best in quite a bit of cases. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2