• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Idolm@ster Shiny Festa Games/Anime Debut in English on iOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
誤称 wrote:
The words serious and iOS and gamer do not mesh.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Because you're not a true gamer if you're casual, right? That casual gaming generally attracts more females and older gamers is, I'm sure, just coincidental to having their seriousness questioned by the very much minority of very serious gamers.

True gamers don't play only Angry Birds or any other bite size casual/iOS games. Just like a true anime fan doesn't just watch Naruto. They are a gamer, yes, but only a casual one.
Kastel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Even ignoring the price, making it an iOS exclusive release ensures that me and everyone else I know who would otherwise have considered a purchase will definitely not be picking these up. Tragic, considering that the poor sales they are ensuring here will basically doom the prospects of any other iDOLM@STER game ever coming out here....

Nowhere in the article did I find the word "exclusive." But I guess me and my Ctrl+F are blind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think people understand how big the tablet/phone movement is. I used to be a huge handheld gamer myself but now that I got a few tablets and a phone, I mainly play on those now.

In a few years the PSP and Gameboy are gonna say bye bye.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I don't think people understand how big the tablet/phone movement is. I used to be a huge handheld gamer myself but now that I got a few tablets and a phone, I mainly play on those now.

Maybe among the mainstream (though Sony and Nintendo systems are still far stronger in Japan than mobile gaming, so they aren't going anywhere even if they struggle in the West)... but for a game like this, aimed at a totally niche anime crowd, iOS is the wrong way to release it. This is the type of game that people who don't have those fancy phones would be interested in playing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

Hahahahahaha,

And even if tablets/phones do become the goto peripheral for portable gaming (which I can't even say with a straight face in a hypothetical statement) it will be Android, with its much larger user-base and friendlier API that will 'win' over developers in that case.
Kastel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Scamco, never change. Keep on pissing people off spoiler[and we will buy your shit anyway.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

Wouldn't be sure to say for certain. A factor to worry about is price. As there is a stigma about iOS gamers not wanting to pay high prices for games. Once that is overcome and other concerns, I can see more variety of games going to the platform and the traditional handhelds taking a hit.
m1kurubeam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Not available in the Canadian iTunes store. Seriously, NB?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
Even ignoring the price, making it an iOS exclusive release ensures that me and everyone else I know who would otherwise have considered a purchase will definitely not be picking these up. Tragic, considering that the poor sales they are ensuring here will basically doom the prospects of any other iDOLM@STER game ever coming out here....

Nowhere in the article did I find the word "exclusive." But I guess me and my Ctrl+F are blind.

Until it comes out on a non-iOS system (which I admit it might do), it is exclusive to iOS. That is the logic I am using.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
As an iOS developer, I'm happy to see anyone charging what they think their stuff is worth — the App Store "race to the bottom" has gutted the indies and has most of us chasing corporate contract work.

But charging a price higher than PS3/360 physical media for a download seems a little crazy, unless they're operating by the Aniplex book of price elasticity (ie, we can get a small number of fans to pay a very high price, and lowering the price will not bring in very many new buyers).

I'm happy to defend Square Enix for charging $20 for Final Fantasy Tactics (and I bought it the first day), but Namco charging two and a half times that for one-third of The Idolm@ster? Good luck with that, guys.

Last edited by invalidname on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This is completely stupid. Why on Earth did they decide to release them on iOS at that price point? First, that alienates most of the iDOLM@STER fans expecting a PSP release. Second, that price practically guarantees that next to no one who actually gets games for their iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch (i.e. mainly casual gamers) would buy it. This better not affect any future plans as this completely screams financial dud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
milkmandan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

Funny that no one else sees it the same way. The tablet/phone movement is enourmous. So much that people really aren't seeing the speed at which these devices are being adopted. Call me a heretic, but I won't be surprised when in 10-15 years, consoles and handles are completely a thing of the past and 'everyone' is carrying a smart device that does it all.

invalidname wrote:
As an iOS developer, I'm happy to see anyone charging what they think their stuff is worth — the App Store "race to the bottom" has gutted the indies and has most of us chasing corporate contract work.

But charging a price higher than PS3/360 physical media for a download seems a little crazy, unless they're operating by the Aniplex book of price elasticity (ie, we can get a small number of fans to pay a very high price, and lowering the price will not bring in very many new buyers).

I'm happy to defend Square Enix for charging $20 for Final Fantasy Tactics (and I bought it the first day), but Namco charging two and a half times that for one-third of The Idolm@ster? Good luck with that, guys.

Agreed. I feel they would've done much better by making the games free and just slapping in IAPs. :\
$54.99 for ONE THIRD of a game is really too much Sad
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
milkmandan wrote:
nhat wrote:

Funny that no one else sees it the same way. The tablet/phone movement is enourmous. So much that people really aren't seeing the speed at which these devices are being adopted. Call me a heretic, but I won't be surprised when in 10-15 years, consoles and handles are completely a thing of the past and 'everyone' is carrying a smart device that does it all.

It would truly be a dark future if bite size games are all we have by then. If that actually does happen (which I severely doubt), it would be time to get out of gaming.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
For those complaining / upset over an os release

Keep this in mind, the psp market here is crap and at this point all physical psp game releases are a long shot. Even with psn downloads being the only way to get stuff now with certain things the market is still small compared to the market of people who own ipods and play app based games on them,

The SF games go for $50-$75 depending on which ver you buy import wise for the psp. A translated copy costs $55 and it looks like they're going to be offering more dlc compared to the one song the psp ver got. You're paying the same price as importing the game, which is fine when you think about it.

The translation was also done by Namco of Japan not the US branch, meaning it was done in house and most likely as an extra because they wanted to test the market. Also the video quality of the os release is higher then that of the psp release, the psp video clips are in 280p while the os release is in 540p.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as someone disappointed that iOS marks the formal introduction of the Idolm@ster games to the West.

I have an Android phone, and I would have prefered a PS Vita port(or at least Android so I could at least consider buying it to support Im@s.). Of course, I hate trying to play games on my phone and prefer an actual handheld.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3