• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Calibur III Release Date Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see more coverage on some groundbreakers e.g. Air, Tsukihime, or Fate/stay night.

I second that, but I have the feeling that no company can afford / wants to take the risk bringing these games over. Granted, Aoi Yori Aoshi game was released in English, but the visual novels that truly define the genre nowadays are still far out of the grasp of the average English speaking gamer. Everyone can play a beat-em-up on import, but with text heavy games such as the ones you mentioned, it's quite a different ballgame Sad
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Gaaah why does the article say "caliber"? CalibUr!! Yes, the actual word is caliber, but the title has the distinction of being "calibur". Laughing Razz

I'm just happy Seung Mina's in it, though her 1P outfit looks a bit... odd to me. The fact that the top apparently just hangs there and she had nothing under it makes me go durr. I'll worry about finishing my SCII cosplay til I work on that one. o_O
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
I heard the Cube version of SCII outsold the other two thanks mainly to Link. I really hope it comes out for the next gen nintendo system as i never got a PS2.
That and the PS 2 had wrost load time, graphics, system only character. But the XBox did beat the Cube when it to load time and graphics, but let's face it, Link ownz.

Yes, the Cube version sold the best because of Link, but the Xbox's "superior" load times and graphics are almost negligible. At the SCII tournament I helped run at my school, we had all three versions running beside each other, and the only thing that distinguished them apart from each other were the signs we had posted that said "Xbox" or "Cube" and the controllers. (The PS2 version, of course, distinguished itself with some jaggy curves.) Some people would be watching and suddenly say, "oh, this is the xbox version, isn't it," when they realized the controller was different.

Was it me, or did each of the exclusive characters each feel way overpowered? I mean, Link rocked, but he felt kind of cheap.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Was it me, or did each of the exclusive characters each feel way overpowered? I mean, Link rocked, but he felt kind of cheap.
I guess it depends on who plays. I can range from cheap to fair with him, and that can be hard at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I, too, was dissapointed that this isn't multiplatform. I swore off the PlayStation a long time ago, and when I heard the existence of Soul Calibur III, I was hoping for an Xbox version. I should learn not to hope. And their excuses for not making it multiplatform are bunk. Why not hire some people that know how to make Xbox games? Evil or Very Mad

Oh well. At least the Xbox 360 is getting proper compensation in the form of Ridge Racer 6... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cubs2084

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I'd like to see more coverage on some groundbreakers e.g. Air, Tsukihime, or Fate/stay night.

What was groundbreaking about Air?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
What was groundbreaking about Air?

All my friends who had played the imported version of Air had cried (all male) and had agreed that the game can be regarded as a test material for Japanese language, for "he who had finished playing Air without crying is either unable to get a grip on Japanese language, or a man without heart!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
wolfcry: Actually, there were rumours of a live-action film directed by Sammo Hung and featuring Jackie Chan, but Sammo told me they couldn't even get a script, and shortly afterward, he appeared to have lost the project.
Shale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Link is good against people who don't really know the game, but gets mauled by experienced players. Heihachi, on the other hand, is genuinely broken.

Oh, and I object strongly to the statement that the Guilty Gear games lack novelty. Saying that new games are unimaginative because the object is still to beat your opponent before s/he beats you is...how to put this diplomatically...asinine. It's a framework, and there's room for tons of gameplay variation within that framework. Sorry if I'm getting worked up about that comment, but seeing a bloody dating sim (figuratively and literally!) hyped as more original than a game I love specifically because of its originality pissed me off.

Oh, and I'm firmly in agreement with the people confused by ANN's sudden coverage of SCIII. I love the series and all, but when did it become anime?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:55 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Oh, and I'm firmly in agreement with the people confused by ANN's sudden coverage of SCIII. I love the series and all, but when did it become anime?

And why exactly did Soul Calibur III's website going up make news, while Hellsing Ultimate's website going up just a few days prior was passed over?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Trunks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Ataru wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
I heard the Cube version of SCII outsold the other two thanks mainly to Link. I really hope it comes out for the next gen nintendo system as i never got a PS2.
That and the PS 2 had wrost load time, graphics, system only character. But the XBox did beat the Cube when it to load time and graphics, but let's face it, Link ownz.

Yes, the Cube version sold the best because of Link, but the Xbox's "superior" load times and graphics are almost negligible. At the SCII tournament I helped run at my school, we had all three versions running beside each other, and the only thing that distinguished them apart from each other were the signs we had posted that said "Xbox" or "Cube" and the controllers. (The PS2 version, of course, distinguished itself with some jaggy curves.) Some people would be watching and suddenly say, "oh, this is the xbox version, isn't it," when they realized the controller was different.

The Xbox version stands out when you play it in 720p. Otherwise, it's very very close.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Sorry if I'm getting worked up about that comment, but seeing a bloody dating sim (figuratively and literally!) hyped as more original than a game I love specifically because of its originality pissed me off.

Maybe the two Type Moon games were not the best examples. However, take note that Tsukihime started as a doujin game. It was not supposed to compete commercial titles designed by professionals.

On the other hand, Air game contains more hidden metaphors than anything else I've ever seen -- perhaps at least twice as much as Haibane Renmei has. Someone (read: abunai) help me to translate this; reading through it is fine, but translating it is way beyond my knowledge of language and history.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Since we are off topic here anyway, what do you guys think of the Xbox 360. $400 for the real system. No more anime for me in a while.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
Alchemist449 wrote:
Since we are off topic here anyway, what do you guys think of the Xbox 360. $400 for the real system. No more anime for me in a while.

I preordered the $400 package, with the hard disk, wireless pad, HD cables and Live headset. I don't care what the Xbox haters think, I'm going to be busy dominating Project Gotham Racing 3 to care. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
Alchemist449 wrote:

I preordered the $400 package, with the hard disk, wireless pad, HD cables and Live headset. I don't care what the Xbox haters think, I'm going to be busy dominating Project Gotham Racing 3 to care. Cool

It's not that I'm a "hater", but there has to be atleast three (3) games I must have in order to get the system, like the PSP, which has yet made the mark, and they still think the DS is nothing to worry about. 360 has caugh my eye with Halo 3 (MS said it will be out by PS 3 system launch, AKA '07), DoA 4, Need for Speed, and I'm sure by the time, something eles. Need the less, I need to put the XBox with the N64 and PS 1, so I'm going to have to get the HD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2