• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Distributor

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
When have you ever seen honorifics in R1 subtitles? Then again, I'm a dub fan, so I wouldn't know.

It's happening more often these days because fans are recognizing their importance in Japanese speech and want better attention given to translations/subs.
One example I can give is Fruits Basket. Though it bugs me that they put the names family name first (when speaking/writing in English, it isn't necessary to keep the Japanese format for names and just confuses people like my little brother Razz), they put things like "san" and "kun" in the subs themselves. One thing I noticed that was lost in the dub of Fruits Basket is Tohru's change from calling Yuki "Sohma-kun" to "Yuki-kun", so it was appreciated in the subs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2