• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols Surveys Viewers for Classic, Modern Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Kerberous wrote:
Not even one of those is close to half of the money it needs. At this point, animesols is a complete and utter failure.

It's barely even been two weeks. No series is even half way through it's pledging yet. Many aren't even a third of the way through.

Not a single series is even a quarter of the way through. Hell, aside from Mami and Black Jack, everything else isn't even a tenth. How long as we assuming these pledges run? They all say "about 1/2 months" but I see no specific date set for the end. Let's assume three full months, so they end on August 13th, so about 13 weeks. They need to raise over $1,000 a week to meet the goals, and some of the shows say they have 1 month left. Without some massive rush of support for some of those virtually unknown series, they're not going anywhere.

Most companies lose money for their first few years of operation. Calling this an utter and complete failure after like two weeks of being open is a little silly. It could certainly wind up as a failure but it seems ridiculously premature to make a judgement at this point.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Creamy Mami and Black Jack should have been the only ones available to pledge on first, since they have the most potential. Or maybe only Creamy Mami first. I don't think making all the rest compete at the same time, within a short 2 months, for a very limited audience is a good idea.

They can stream and take surveys of the other titles to gauge audience reaction first, before putting them up for pledging. They might also consider advertising at various places. I found out about a western anime-style VN on Kickstarter through an ad here (or somewhere anime related). Also spread the word on /a/. But just as importantly going forward, to make some of those other titles in this survey available. The big classics or more well known titles that are on CR that remain unlicensed for video.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so quick to call it a total failure, but I do think more research in which shows to add and begin the pledges for is a good idea. Take that survey very seriously, and scrutinize why some shows do better than others. Once the shows that do fail are retired, I hope more marketable ones replace them. This system can work, it just needs more time and attention, and most importantly: better content.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Most companies lose money for their first few years of operation. Calling this an utter and complete failure after like two weeks of being open is a little silly. It could certainly wind up as a failure but it seems ridiculously premature to make a judgement at this point.

Ok, Animesols is a huge success. It will not fail at one thing and is the greatest thing ever, I'm sorry for ever doubting it. Black Jack ? Who cares about a Tezuka title, not like those make any money.

Feel better now, princess ?
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
What advantage does a company that owns the rights of a show have by going through Anime Sols vs just going onto Kickstarter by themselves? Is it because Anime Sols will do the packaging and all that stuff and handle everything?

As for me I am just simply not as interested in their titles.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
What advantage does a company that owns the rights of a show have by going through Anime Sols vs just going onto Kickstarter by themselves? Is it because Anime Sols will do the packaging and all that stuff and handle everything?

Yes, there's that, but for most Japanese rights holders kickstarter isn't an option because they don't control 100% of the rights, only the international licensing rights... Kickstarter requires having a local US (or UK) presence to start a kickstarter campaign, and many rights companies in Japan don't have one. Toei and TMS and Aniplex have US branches, but a company like TV Tokyo does not, nor does Sunrise anymore without Bandai Ent...
They'd need to go through some US based company/middleman/agent. Not to mention it would require _licensing_ whatever the property is to that entity at some point... they can't simply act as a money middleman as that actually violates Kickstarter's TOS... The "company" must also be the project "creator" (or directly associated with it). I.e. whoever makes the DVD has to be the company that does the kickstarter.
Also, although it's possible to claim you won't ship outside US, it's not possible to limit the pledges regionally, and that's a deal breaker for any property which is already licensed in some other country, since it's the process of _getting money from consumers in a country_ that would be violating the local license, not shipping the actual product.... or at the very least a gray area.
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
... Space Brothers: imagine the massive proselytizing and evangelizing lovers of that show would give it. Bamboo would probably mention it every single chance she gets. Some people would probably throw down $1000 without even thinking. It's new, it's still airing, and it's good. Every time CR adds an episode they can remind people if they want to own the show to go to AnimeSols, and it might provide some runoff for the other things there. They need Space Brothers. It's not even a question.

Section 23 licensed Space Brothers

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-01/sentai-filmworks-licenses-space-brothers-tv-anime

I think something might've fell through since it was on the survey. That announcement was in July and we have yet to see anything turn up from it, no Anime Network On Demand listing (or anywhere on their website), no preorder or even announcement of DVD/Blu-Ray plans...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
I think something might've fell through since it was on the survey. That announcement was in July and we have yet to see anything turn up from it, no Anime Network On Demand listing (or anywhere on their website), no preorder or even announcement of DVD/Blu-Ray plans...

Maybe they realized the show was going to go on too long and probably not make enough in DVD sales and relinquished the license? AnimeSols didn't add it to their survey, with the intent of funding it through their pledge service, just for funzies. It's all conjecture, of course.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
In the past, S23 has issued a press release when they relinquish rights to a license. At this point, I'm going to assume they still have the license.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Ok, Animesols is a huge success. It will not fail at one thing and is the greatest thing ever, I'm sorry for ever doubting it. Black Jack ? Who cares about a Tezuka title, not like those make any money.

Feel better now, princess ?

The logical fallacy there is false dichotomy. There is a middle ground between (1) it is already an abject failure and (2) it is already a runaway success ~ disagreeing with (1) is not the same as claiming (2).

It is, of course, trying to do the otherwise impossible. So if it works for any titles, it is more success in licensing those titles than would otherwise be possible. Since we are two weeks in to a two month run and Creamy Mami is at 23% of its target last I looked, so given a "telethon" effect at the end of its period, there's no reason to dismiss its chance at this point.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Kimagure Orange Road is good for what I've watched, same with Urusai Yatsura.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Kerberous wrote:
Not even one of those is close to half of the money it needs. At this point, animesols is a complete and utter failure.

It's barely even been two weeks. No series is even half way through it's pledging yet. Many aren't even a third of the way through.

Not a single series is even a quarter of the way through. Hell, aside from Mami and Black Jack, everything else isn't even a tenth. How long as we assuming these pledges run? They all say "about 1/2 months" but I see no specific date set for the end. Let's assume three full months, so they end on August 13th, so about 13 weeks. They need to raise over $1,000 a week to meet the goals, and some of the shows say they have 1 month left. Without some massive rush of support for some of those virtually unknown series, they're not going anywhere.

By "the way through", do you mean the number of episodes available on the website? I don't think that's actually relevant; each pledge drive is for a 13-episode box, not the whole series. All of the series are at least halfway to showing what pledgers would be paying for, and Black Jack has actually gone past the point of showing everything that would be in the first box.

They certainly wouldn't run a pledge drive for the two years it would take to fully run Yatterman.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Not necessarily. The survey starts out saying
Anime Sols wrote:
(Please note, inclusion on this survey does not necessarily indicate that the rights to these shows are currently available)
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
I'd absolutely positively LOVE the chance to get Magical Fairy Persia (unlike a lot of titles on the list, it's never had a complete English release, either legitimately or through fansubs.) However, if Creamy Mami, which is beloved by a lot of people and moves a lot of product even today in the form of toys and fashion accessories (a lot of it unauthorized!!), is having trouble getting funded, then there's no way that poor Persia could collect enough money! I'm so sad!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
I took the survey, I wish Anime Sols good luck to them. I would like to watch a lot of the old school anime they have on there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3