• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Manga Has 19.5 Million in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

But they're still making easy money which is why they're the among the top publishers in Japan. Your logic dictates that they have to see into the future. Rolling Eyes

Ah, the eyeroll... Don't see that "look at me, I'm so smug for no good reason" thing daily. They turned the guy down for no good reason and these are the results. Btw, Kodansha doesn't have a crystal ball either.

Oh, and your "logic" dictates that more money is a bad thing. Boy, glad there's someone here to teach me about logic.

PS: Shueisha is the top publisher, not among the top. Not like that has anything to do with a bad business decision.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

Ah, the eyeroll... Don't see that "look at me, I'm so smug for no good reason" thing daily. They turned the guy down for no good reason and these are the results.

Well you don't now do you? Have you read his prototype manga or are you under the assumption that they turned down his finished work as is?

Kerberous wrote:

Oh, and your "logic" dictates that more money is a bad thing. Boy, glad there's someone here to teach me about logic.

Not really. Though I'm not sure where you got the notice that Shuiesha actually cares at this point considering they have a plethora of other titles that sell alot better than it.

Kerberous wrote:

PS: Shueisha is the top publisher, not among the top. Not like that has anything to do with a bad business decision.

Actually they're third largest in Japan among all the publishers. And once again how is it a bad business decision? Your logic once again dictates that they need to see into the future and you're also forgetting how JUMP operates.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

Well you don't now do you? Have you read his prototype manga or are you under the assumption that they turned down his finished work as is?

It's no secret that even successful authors had issues with Shueisha. You think they're gonna give a newcomer fair treatment ? No, they told him "You do this, this and that or get out". I can respect someone who stood up for his work.

BarCho66 wrote:

Not really. Though I'm not sure where you got the notice that Shuiesha actually cares at this point considering they have a plethora of other titles that sell alot better than it.

You're implying they do not care about more money, or that AoT wouldn't have any room there. Really, how many titles sell better than AoT ? 2-3 ? Your fanboy is showing.

Edit: They'd need to be really blind not to notice or care, that a manga, which could have been theirs, has all its volumes in a top 50 list with over 1 million sales.

BarCho66 wrote:

Actually they're third largest in Japan among all the publishers. And once again how is it a bad business decision? Your logic once again dictates that they need to see into the future and you're also forgetting how JUMP operates.

That's interesting, who makes more money than them in manga publishing ? I repeat, Kodansha doesn't have a crystal ball either. You don't need me to explain that, do you ? You seem to be ignoring that fact.

Last edited by Kerberous on Wed May 29, 2013 8:26 am; edited 2 times in total
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I guess I'm the only person that felt betrayed when they did the genre swapped in "episode 7" (can't remember the manga chapter) spoiler[Started off as a very unique sci-fi then very quickly turned into a shounen anime in a matter for seconds when Eren transformed. I wouldn't mind this so much if I knew before hand I was going to be reading a shounen, my least favorite genre instead the sci-fi it started as---] ---It felt like a bait a switch >.<, it's still very good but I did feel tricked and felt it was pretty lame how they solved the dilemma.

you're such a dumbass, it has always been a shounen, why don't you go search the anime or manga you watch? anyways you say that shounen is your least favorite genre? are you crazy? you must be a girl who likes shoujo manga otherwise you're just a dumbass, i mean go watch code geass, death note, fullmetal alchemist or hunter x hunter all masterpiece shounens and come tell that bullshit again!!
pykrete

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
The main reason why Shonen Jump is made fun of for rejecting Attack on Titan is not because they couldn't predict how big it would become.

It's because whoever it was at Shonen Jump told the AoT mangaka:

Quote:
This is manga, we want JUMP!
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

It's no secret that even successful authors had issues with Shueisha. You think they're gonna give a newcomer fair treatment ? No, they told him "You do this, this and that or get out". I can respect someone who stood up for his work.

Which is funny given the abundant amount of newcomers that get started with WSJ in comparison to most manga magazines out there. Jason Thompson's House of a 1000 manga column (Dragonball) says the opposite, where most people who came to Shueisha had nothing but positive things to say about their management even the ones that initially hated how their WSJ magazine handled things. They certainly have a better track record then Kondansha and Shogakukan.

Kerberous wrote:

You're implying they do not care about more money, or that AoT wouldn't have any room there. Really, how many titles sell better than AoT ? 2-3 ? Your fanboy is showing.

10 titles in their current lineup gets better sales than AoT, you would have a stance if Aot outsold One Piece then they would be worried. But you're too much of a [insult removed] to look at the data.

Kerberous wrote:

Edit: They'd need to be really blind not to notice or care, that a manga, which could have been theirs, has all its volumes in a top 50 list with over 1 million sales.

An anime boasting manga sales? You mean the same shit that happened to KUROKO'S BASKETBALL? Hunter x Hunter and Blue Exorcist? All Shuiesha properties that performed better than AoT? Funny thing is that their newest hit series AssClass is doing better it it's first year than AoT did in it's first year, it's already sold over 1 million copies in it's first volume something that took AoT 2 years to accomplish.

Kerberous wrote:

That's interesting, who makes more money than them in manga publishing ? I repeat, Kodansha doesn't have a crystal ball either. You don't need me to explain that, do you ? You seem to be ignoring that fact.

[insult removed]? Those no "facts" in this notion, you're a [insult removed] that thinks Shuiesha is crying in this situation with no evidence to back up.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
pykrete wrote:
The main reason why Shonen Jump is made fun of for rejecting Attack on Titan is not because they couldn't predict how big it would become.

Quote:

No it's being made fun of is because the fanbase is [no]. Part of the reason AoT was even recognize was because it was the premiere title in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine where it could stand out from the crowd, it probably would have been cancelled in Jump because it wouldn't have caught on with it's target audience. None of you [insult removed] even know the real reason or have even read his prototype manga he gave him, for all you know it could have been terrible but you're just [insult removed].

[Mod Edit: Make a case without generalizing and insulting people just because they like what you don't. This behavior is not acceptable and in the future your posts will simply be deleted if this continues, and further action taken if necessary. - Keonyn]
pykrete

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
pykrete wrote:

Quote:

No it's being made fun of is because the fanbase is [no]. Part of the reason AoT was even recognize was because it was the premiere title in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine where it could stand out from the crowd, it probably would have been cancelled in Jump because it wouldn't have caught on with it's target audience. None of you [insult removed] even know the real reason or have even read his prototype manga he gave him, for all you know it could have been terrible but you're just [insult removed].

And whatever makes you think I'm a fanatic SnK retard?

Also, you've been fanatically attacking people who expresses admiration (or just interest) for how well SnK is doing.

Did you bet big against it being a huge success?
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

Which is funny given the abundant amount of newcomers that get started with WSJ in comparison to most manga magazines out there. Jason Thompson's House of a 1000 manga column (Dragonball) says the opposite, where most people who came to Shueisha had nothing but positive things to say about their management even the ones that initially hated how their WSJ magazine handled things. They certainly have a better track record then Kondansha and Shogakukan.

And those newcomers pretty much do whatever their told and you never hear from most of them ever again.

Edit: Toriyama was pretty much forced into doing shounen manga, if you think his "positive things" aren't just him being nice then get a clue.

BarCho66 wrote:

10 titles in their current lineup gets better sales than AoT, you would have a stance if Aot outsold One Piece then they would be worried. But you're too much of a [insult removed] to look at the data.

Care to list them ?
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012
Best-selling manga by series in 2012, AoT will be there by default (top 3 at least) this year with over 10 million copies sold.

BarCho66 wrote:

An anime boasting manga sales? You mean the same shit that happened to KUROKO'S BASKETBALL? Hunter x Hunter and Blue Exorcist? All Shuiesha properties that performed better than AoT? Funny thing is that their newest hit series AssClass is doing better it it's first year than AoT did in it's first year, it's already sold over 1 million copies in it's first volume something that took AoT 2 years to accomplish.

And that changes things... How exactly ?

BarCho66 wrote:

[insult removed]? Those no "facts" in this notion, you're a [insult removed] that thinks Shuiesha is crying in this situation with no evidence to back up.

Chill out, you'll have a stroke. I know for sure that Shueisha was the top manga publisher in 2009 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011)
The fact that most of their titles are still in the top 10, led me to the assumption that they're still number 1. Do you have any proof that they're not nr.1 ?

But, here's another fact for you obvious fanboy, that you can't ignore. AoT is still a huuuge success and there's no way that Shueisha(or anyone else) wouldn't want that title in their line up.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

And those newcomers pretty much do whatever their told and you never hear from most of them ever again.

Actually most of them get continued work at Shiuesha either at their other magazine firms or get a second shot at Jump, the guy behind Niseko had two previous series that was canned and the Mx0 mangaka kept putting out series after aseries after that got canned. Not sure where you pull that shit from.

Kerberous wrote:

Edit: Toriyama was pretty much forced into doing shounen manga, if you think his "positive things" aren't just him being nice then get a clue.

And this is just a bold face lie, play this game with the other kiddies of your [insult removed] fanbase not with people who actually know what they're talking about.

Kerberous wrote:

Care to list them ?
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012
Best-selling manga by series in 2012, AoT will be there by default (top 3 at least) this year with over 10 million copies sold.

Uhh...I hate to break it to ya kid but accumulated totals don't work that way. THIS year not previous years so far it's standing at about 3 million with one more scheduled tank release this year, you're pretty [insult removed] if you believe it'll reach more than 10 million.

Kerberous wrote:

And that changes things... How exactly ?

You're wrong...deal with it.

Kerberous wrote:

But, here's another fact for you obvious fanboy, that you can't ignore. AoT is still a huuuge success and there's no way that Shueisha(or anyone else) wouldn't want that title in their line up.

Why do you think they care so much when they have One Piece? It's remarkable how you seem to believe this effects them at all. By that logic they should be crying over Silver Spoon and Magi since both manga are doing better than Toriko despite how much Jump pushed it.
jree78

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
The Manga seemed to have low sales in the US, it was very low on the manga sales charts on Amazon.com. Now the sales are in the top ten in Manga on Amazon.com. Rather amazing.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

Actually most of them get continued work at Shiuesha either at their other magazine firms or get a second shot at Jump, the guy behind Niseko had two previous series that was canned and the Mx0 mangaka kept putting out series after aseries after that got canned.

That's 1 example, you seem to like small numbers Smile

BarCho66 wrote:
And this is just a bold face lie, play this game with the other kiddies of your [insult removed] fanbase not with people who actually know what they're talking about.

animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-11-18
"Artists like Akira Toriyama and Yoshihiro Togashi had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing fighting manga, when all they really wanted to produce were gag manga"

From your favourite source.

BarCho66 wrote:

Uhh...I hate to break it to ya kid but accumulated totals don't work that way. THIS year not previous years so far it's standing at about 3 million with one more scheduled tank release this year, you're pretty [insult removed] if you believe it'll reach more than 10 million.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2011
3 million in 2011, 2 million 2012. Now, read the title of this thread you keep insulting people for hurting for your precious Shueisha, kid.

BarCho66 wrote:
You're wrong...deal with it.

You have yet to contradict anything I've said with actual facts or reasoning. What's more, you're ignoring parts of my comments because... ?

BarCho66 wrote:

Why do you think they care so much when they have One Piece? It's remarkable how you seem to believe this effects them at all. By that logic they should be crying over Silver Spoon and Magi since both manga are doing better than Toriko despite how much Jump pushed it.

19.5 mil X 450 ¥ were at the tip of their fingers. You must be really naive, to think that some of them NEVER even blinked when they saw those numbers.
And don't change the subject you laughable fanboy, Silver Spoon or Magi were never offered to them on a silver platter. Edit2: bleh, you're getting contagious Smile

Here's another fun fact, One Piece went down by... 14.531.507(I even did the math for you) from 2011 to 2012. Because you keep bringing it up like it's this eternal source of money.

Last edited by Kerberous on Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
pykrete

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
The Manga seemed to have low sales in the US, it was very low on the manga sales charts on Amazon.com. Now the sales are in the top ten in Manga on Amazon.com. Rather amazing.

Yeah, all the four released English versions are in the top 10.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Manga-Comics-Graphic-Novels/zgbs/books/4367/ref=zg_bs_nav_b_2_4366
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
pykrete wrote:
jree78 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Manga-Comics-Graphic-Novels/zgbs/books/4367/ref=zg_bs_nav_b_2_4366

Stop, you'll kill him Smile
pykrete

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
pykrete wrote:
jree78 wrote:

Stop, you'll kill him Smile

Haters who can't stay away from the things they hate are idiots. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3