• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Hiring

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
So what, they lay off a bunch of people and then start hiring? Why do the layoffs in the first place? That sort of thing does not a good reputation make...

I'd say the opposite.

They had reasons for laying people off earlier this year. Those reasons aren't public (they are a private company after all), but rumours abounded.

ADV's going bankrupt, ADV's dead, etc etc etc...

To a degree, we already knew that some of those were somewhat true. ADV wasn't going bankrupt or anything, but ther market was adjusting, and ADV needed to cut costs in some departments.

This was a responsible thing for them to do, ignoring the market would have lead to bankruptcy.

But still, rumours persisted.

Today's news shows that the company isn't going bankrupt. A company that is about to close doesn't generally hire a significant number of new employees, unless they're really, really stupid.

It also suggests that things are looking up. Particularly the fact that they're looking for a new translator. It isn't proof or anything, but its a good sign.

-t
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll hire a translator that doesnt take so many liberities with the original script (Saiyuki, Elfen Lied, etc) Heres hoping.
lantis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It could also be that they lost people in key areas that went on to other opportunities and they need staff to replace them.
I know that Media Blasters sales head is an ex ADV person (She left them last year not this year)

As for interns they are a lot cheaper than permanent staff.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
So what, they lay off a bunch of people and then start hiring? Why do the layoffs in the first place? That sort of thing does not a good reputation make...

What can they do if their asset doesn't equal their liabilities and owners' equity? They layoff people to cut cost, but since they are coming up again (thanks to their thinpak), they can hire more people. Reputation is difinitely important, but you need to maintain a business first.

As for intern work, at least ADV is paying their intern to do monkey work instead of other companies that only offer college credit.
mako

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Maybe they'll hire a translator that doesnt take so many liberities with the original script (Saiyuki, Elfen Lied, etc) Heres hoping.

I always thought ADV's translation was rather faithful to the original scripts. I don't know about Saiyuki, but at least Elfen Lied was. Did you mean the script writers, instead of the translators? Because sometimes dubs can be very different from the actual translation.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
mako wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

I always thought ADV's translation was rather faithful to the original scripts. I don't know about Saiyuki, but at least Elfen Lied was. Did you mean the script writers, instead of the translators? Because sometimes dubs can be very different from the actual translation.

Yeah, dub scripts, sorry. Saiyuki's is absolutely terrible. Elfen Lied's wasnt bad but they still were pretty liberal.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I want to apply, but I also want to wait about a week before doing so. Do you think that would make a difference?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ampersand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I want to apply, but I also want to wait about a week before doing so. Do you think that would make a difference?

Possibly! It'll take ADV lots of time to receive and sort out all of the applications. While you're waiting to decide to apply, ADV might already have a mountain of applications to gothrough, and might not care about any newcoming hopefuls. In the time it takes them to actually get back to you, I'm sure it'd be long after you've made up your mind; you can always turn them down if you change your mind, but your success rate is only bound to drop if you dawdle.
Kiaelf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to apply, but Philadelphia is a bit of a commute to Houston. They need more anime companies up in the Northeast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2