• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-09-30]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsunami Jones

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Yo. I think I spaced sending you my mailing address before, so I just sent it out after seeing the reminder Surprised
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You heard right, though, the movie was released in Japan a few weeks back and flew off the shelves there. A sizable chunk of the internet's penniless teengers with entitlement complexes have already pirated the thing to high heaven, but they're a bunch of thieves, and you don't want to consort with people like that.

Hehe, especially not if you ever want to see Last Order, which was pretty damned cool. Don't download fansubs, oh, and go pick yourself up a hair shirt while you're at it.
sam18x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
"Nihon" (日本) read in cantonese sounds like "yut boon" (pitch is low+flat for first character and then rising for second character).

Yes I registered on just to say that.
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, why is no profanity allowed in that contest?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why is no profanity allowed in that contest?

Because, for the sake of younger viewing audiences, and because swearing generally isn't very funny.
Apterous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
FYI, I work for Gamestop and the release date we're telling customers is
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=067985
January 10th. We generally don't give specific dates unless we've been told a specific date by a represntitive somewhere in Sony, so this is the latest official release date.
However, I've been telling people who inquire that it'll be out sometime in the next 4 to 9 months, and that the PS3 will be out in the US in the next 1-4 years, and will retail for about $500-$1500, whenever Sony nails down some Specs and sticks with them. On a personal note, I'm hoping "we're not remaking FFVII for PS3" means "but we are making it for XBox 360, because Sony has made Square Enix pissed off too."
bebop26

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
A good editorial. Nice to know some background history on Japan. (I didn't even know Hajime Saitoh was a real person, can't wait to learn that sometime in my highschool life)

As for the flake of the week... I wouldn't really be surprised, some people actually mistake the editing done to Dragonball Z Season 1 and 2 4Kids fault, but FUNimation is releasing the DVDs Uncut, with the Japanese audio with English subtitles, so theres always an option.

Aww, cute little kitten on tree!
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Last weekend I was speaking at the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco. When I told a group of school kids that Saito really existed I thought one girl was going to fly out of her chair she was so excited. Me I'm jazzed that Romulus Hillsborough's book on the Shinsengumi is finally out. I'm checking local stores for it every day.

Then there are people who use Nippon 'cause it's cool.

Will you be in Yokohama in 2007?

http://www.nippon2007.org/
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
China is called Jung Kuo, we call it China
I thought the ping ying was Zong Guo. At least, that's the way I learned it a few years ago. Neutral

Anyway Zac, keep those Flakes of the Weeks coming, I need continuous reassurance that I'm not the only person that gets stuff like that. (Sadly, sometimes in real life too.)

Quote:
You heard right, though, the movie was released in Japan a few weeks back and flew off the shelves there. A sizable chunk of the internet's penniless teengers with entitlement complexes have already pirated the thing to high heaven, but they're a bunch of thieves, and you don't want to consort with people like that.
It was graphically amazing, and I was hoping to make it until the end of November without fretting too much, but...it looks like I'll have to wait. By the way, does anyone know why it's taking so long?

EDIT: never mind what I said about the fansubs

Last edited by .Sy on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Cowpunk wrote:
Then there are people who use Nippon 'cause it's cool.

Well, Nippon is often used when the context is something relating to politics, nationalism or national pride - like a WorldCon, which (to my mind at least) is a big deal.

To put forth a few (tongue-in-cheek) examples from popular humour, you can have the Happa Tai singing of how Nippon kyuukyuu, or the Rahmens doing a skit on Nippon no suteki na todoufuken... Very Happy

- abunai
千葉 滋賀 佐賀
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Holywhippet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
From what I've read, the word Japan which was supplied to Marco Polo by the Chinese literally means (in their language) "Land of the rising sun". This is because Japan is in the direction the Sun rises from China.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2