• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Silver Spoon, Servant x Service Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
First off, I'd like to say that I tried to make my 'complaint' about the inevitable ridiculous price as non-contreversial, non-flaming, and non-bashing as possible. Personally, I feel I put my opinion out there pretty nicely, but if some feel like I'm going too far already, than by all means, I apologize.

That said though, the fact remains that I find the pricing that Aniplex does for a lot of their products no better than highway robbery. So long as I don't mention it in every single post I ever do, or put it in a disrespectful manner, I see no problem with mentioning my displeasure with their pricing.

AbZeroNow wrote:
Anytime an Aniplex license is announced, the price complains come up. Those same people also ignore the fact that Aniplex of America also makes their shows available for free streaming on a number of sites.

That's just it though - not all of us are big streamers. Where I live, the internet is so slow that it can take up to two hours to load even one episode of a show, and that's on Youtube, which is one of the easiest video-streaming sites to get to load (in my experience anyway). So for a lot of us, streaming (free or otherwise) just isn't a realistic option, we're left to hope for home releases. And I prefer home releases anyway, just because I like actually owning a copy of shows I like, and being able to display them on my shelf.

Quote:
Basically, Aniplex of America challenges their entitled worldview that anime has to be priced towards them rather than Aniplex deciding on a business model that Aniplex believes in, and thus the endless rage towards Aniplex.

No offense, but I wouldn't really call it 'entitled' to expect a DVD release to not cost as much or more than a new computer or gaming system. I could see the term entitled coming up if someone complained about the $50 price tags of some releases, but once a short 12 episode show starts to cost well into the $100's of dollars (and that's a CHEAP release compared to some of Aniplex's other fare), then I'd say it's more than all right for people to get a little huffy about the pricing on said releases.

The problem with Aniplex's belief in this system seems, to me anyway, to come from them trying to price their shows based on Japanese prices, and sell them at that price here. The Japanese prices of DVD's are ridiculous as well, I'd complain just as much about those if they were actually an issue for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex is never my first licensing choice, but still nice to see Silver Spoon already picked up.

Now if only someone could license the manga!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty safe to say that practically everything done by A-1 will go to Aniplex USA if they deem it worth it.
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I know that all of their titles are up for streaming but the main problem for me is that they're extremely limited to English dubs. I don't even have a PS3 or an XBox. So I can't watch Fate/zero in English dub. I don't even have cable so no SAO on Toonami for me. I grew up watching anime in English dub so what am I supposed to do other than buying their products when in fact, I never have enough money to buy it.
And I don't even have a blu-ray player. Please don't say that you can get blu-ray player for cheap because I prefer watching anime on my laptop more than the TV.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat interested in Silver Spoon but depending on how the anime will go this summer will depend on whether I will purchase it or not. Aniplex will probably set the price tag high though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Im more surprised that they picked up Servant × Service, really. That one doesn't seem to have any buzz around it.

I imagine Silver Spoon will get a Blast of Temptest treatment, sub-only dvd at a decent price.

As for Silver Spoon, I hardly believe it's ever and I mean EVER get a sub-only title.

Since this is a popular title both US/Japan, it's going to go on Neon Alley. Viz/Neon Alley knows it's popular title they'll do anything dub it.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
gothicangel89 wrote:
I know that all of their titles are up for streaming but the main problem for me is that they're extremely limited to English dubs. I don't even have a PS3 or an XBox. So I can't watch Fate/zero in English dub. I don't even have cable so no SAO on Toonami for me. I grew up watching anime in English dub so what am I supposed to do other than buying their products when in fact, I never have enough money to buy it.
And I don't even have a blu-ray player. Please don't say that you can get blu-ray player for cheap because I prefer watching anime on my laptop more than the TV.

Sword Art Online will be available bilingual on DVD(so those would have the English dubs).

Vol. 1(7 episodes)- $40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98499/4/0/0

Vol. 2(7 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98501/4/0/0

Vol. 3(5 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98503/4/0/0

Vol 4(6 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98505/4/0/0

So at least there is a way for you to watch that dubbed on DVD.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm somewhat interested in Silver Spoon but depending on how the anime will go this summer will depend on whether I will purchase it or not. Aniplex will probably set the price tag high though.

They won't, unless the anime lives up then yes. Viz/Neon Alley is on seeking mode to find more shows around 2013/14.

Silver Spoon is will be an absolute buy indeed.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Wonderful. I always wanted to pay $180 bucks for a show about milking cows. Rolling Eyes Confused

You fail to see the irony of the situation.
They are milking fans by having fans watch cows getting milked.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
@Gyt Kaliba. My comment was more directed on those "oh, Funimation gives us Blu-Rays for $50 so Aniplex is EVIL" types. I suppose we may have slightly differing opinions on what a "decent price" means. I think the SAO DVDs are decently priced(and I think the Blu Rays are also at a price point that I could support). I bought Oreimo on DVD because it was a good price for me AND I wanted to see the OVA episodes. I will conceed your point about streaming not being practical in some areas of the U.S (we really need to get broadbrand to more rural areas, but that is a whole other discussion).

As to Aniplex and DVD, I'm pretty sure Aniplex has never done a DVD set that costs more than $200. So their DVDs do cost less than a new game system or a PC.
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Hah! I love you entitled haters! Every time I see an Aniplex of America post on ANN, I have to click on it to see the haters.
Go AoA! For people who still don't have it as bad as the Japanese market where you have to pay $80 for a 2 episode BD, you love to complain. Most of you all DL the Fansub anyway, and when the Anime market in the states bombs out again, you'll still complain.
They're still in business and if they're making it work well, good for them! Stop complaining and if the price point is too much for you, go illegal then and risk getting busted. It's that whole steal a loaf of bread argument.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh cool, I was planning on checking out both of these titles and, since both of them seemed a bit niche (erm, even more than a lot of other anime that is) I'm glad that I won't have to worry about hunting down fansubs for them.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
@AbZeroNow - Ah, okay. I can see how comments like the one you provided as an example would get old (and fast), yeah. I just felt like I should come in and further explain my standpoint on it all anyway, since I do like to back up my opinion so it's not just me saying something.

As far as the SAO prices, I haven't checked those, but I have seen that the Oreimo prices are a little much IMO - but what really pushed me over the edge was the Gurren set. Yes, it comes with a ton of physical extras, but the fact that the only set they're going to offer is that one, and for $139 (at least on RightStuf), is pretty sad IMO. Especially since this is a re-release as it is, it's not even a new show. It just seems pretty greedy on their part IMO.

Again, this is all my own opinion though. I'm not calling for others to not buy from them just because I don't wish to. If you really want what Aniplex is offering and are willing to pay those prices, then by all means, go right ahead, and I hope you truly enjoy your purchase. This is just my own stance on it, my personal...'vendetta', for lack of a better word, since I'm really not THAT vitriol-istic against them, at least not overall.

TypicalUsername wrote:
Hah! I love you entitled haters! Every time I see an Aniplex of America post on ANN, I have to click on it to see the haters.
Go AoA! For people who still don't have it as bad as the Japanese market where you have to pay $80 for a 2 episode BD, you love to complain. Most of you all DL the Fansub anyway, and when the Anime market in the states bombs out again, you'll still complain.
They're still in business and if they're making it work well, good for them! Stop complaining and if the price point is too much for you, go illegal then and risk getting busted. It's that whole steal a loaf of bread argument.

Um, no. I buy everything I plan to watch, from companies that give what I consider a good price. My wish to not pay ridiculous Aniplex prices does not equate to me being a 'pirate', or being entitled. Going to the Gurren example again, I already own the Bandai 'Anime Legends' set for the series, so I would have no desire for the Aniplex re-release anyway - I'm just amazed at the ridiculous price tag.

To use your own words, if the price point is too much for me, then I just don't get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Sword Art Online will be available bilingual on DVD(so those would have the English dubs).

Vol. 1(7 episodes)- $40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98499/4/0/0

Vol. 2(7 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98501/4/0/0

Vol. 3(5 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98503/4/0/0

Vol 4(6 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98505/4/0/0

So at least there is a way for you to watch that dubbed on DVD.

The DVDs are $40, but the Blu-rays are $90 for as few as 5 episodes!
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Um, no. I buy everything I plan to watch, from companies that give what I consider a good price. My wish to not pay ridiculous Aniplex prices does not equate to me being a 'pirate', or being entitled. Going to the Gurren example again, I already own the Bandai 'Anime Legends' set for the series, so I would have no desire for the Aniplex re-release anyway - I'm just amazed at the ridiculous price tag.

To use your own words, if the price point is too much for me, then I just don't get it.

Well, that's good of you. I applaud you for doing it. That's no sarcasm.
90% of the people in this forum won't. It still makes absolutely no sense to me why you all complain about the $. It's either that, or it doesn't get released most of the time. There's only so much American money to go around. Any company that invests the time and money in a BD with a dub track, I'll buy. That's pretty much it. I've loved my Durarara set, and the hand full of other stuff I've bought from AoA. Maybe I'm glass is half full kind of fan, because I've paid for Japanese BD imports with only a subtitle track before. Art books alone can cost tons of scratch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5