• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reminder: Kakurenbo on Adult Swim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonicfirex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Man...what a waste...I figure one of the prerequisites of any show is actually caring about the characters...maybe that's just me
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
Will it air another time if we missed it?

I'm sure they'll get around to it one of these days maybe next year around the same time.

Overall it was a little dissappointed it was hard to distinguish the relationships between the kids. Were they groups of friends or not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't too great, either. It was way too short, had a boring and uninspired plot, and the characters weren't even interesting. The only thing it had going for it was the choppy CG animation. This isn't even worth renting, so I'm glad AS showed it.

Winner - 2005 Tokyo Anime Fair

Best Short Film - 2005 Fantasia Film Festival

Best Short Film Nomination - 2005 Seoul International Cartoon & Animation Festival

I think an ova like this requires an adequate taste that probably doesn't appeal to mass mainstream Narutard. Very Happy

Last edited by darkhunter on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, I liked it. I loved the animation style and it lent a nice amount of creepiness. Unlike some, I liked the ending. Overall, I would buy it. But then again, I buy everything.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Boring! It's only 25 minutes long. No build up, no creepyness and the ending is one of the most rediculous endings I've seen in years. Haven't these people ever heard of Engergizer batteries?!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Far too short (I was expecting a 90-120 min. movie), too caught up in it's style of animation to make its story enjoyable, no character development, and a host of other problems force me to look at this as sort of an Animatrix-type short, in which it is more of an experimental short that is supposed to explore an idea (that is, this strange hide and seek game and the main character's quest to find his sister) in a small space of time. In that, however, it also fails to endear itself, because it culminates too quickly, leaving very few scenes from which to derive an understanding of the characters' conflicts (if any). It seems to me to be a good story idea, but not a good story itself.

In short, it was a lame excuse to experiment with computer graphics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey, think about it. Children are the ultimate renewable energy source!
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Haven't these people ever heard of Engergizer batteries?!

You should've put some spoiler tags there for the people who missed it, you know.

In response, spoiler[they're demons, demons with names like blood-taker and liver-taker. Do you think they're the kind of people who would stroll into 7-11 and pick up a pack of batteries, or pay to have an eletric meter installed so they can pay monthly? No, they're demons! They'd find one of the most twisted ways to create light and suffering at the same time!

Now why they need to light up an empty city, that needs explanation]
, though if you look at the production sketches (under Other Work, thumbnail #8), there are apparently adults in the city that were dropped from the final version of the film. (I got that link from one of the clues in the Kakurenbo contest.)[/spoiler]
DJetcetera

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
It would definitely be a winner if it was an ongoing series...Agh, some of the best animes are WAY too short.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Sheesh people are spoiled by all the movies that're getting ever longer nowadays. There is such thing as a short story, y'know. Kakurenbo did quite a lot within the small time it had. Maybe you have to think a bit to get it, maybe not, but why not just take it for what it is?
Dezember

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
I was lying on the couch in my bedroom (yes, I have a couch in my room. Weird? Probably. Should you be scared of my room? Most definitely) messing with my hurt foot (which is either sprained or broken Sad ) while watching it. So I kind of missed the point. I thought it was okay because I was recording it for my sister along with everything else. Then, right in the middle of Samurai Champloo my VCR just stops, makes a weird sound, and flashes "ERROR 1" I'm like "Oh my God," Shocked "my sister is gonna kill me! And I missed something good!!!" Mad So I quickly got up to check it out, only to get back down just as quickly because of my foot. This is almost as bad as the time I got hit in the face during a soccer game, it was both embarrassing and painful and I lost a tooth Mad Anyways, will it be replaying on Thursday?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
sonicfirex wrote:
Man...what a waste...I figure one of the prerequisites of any show is actually caring about the characters...maybe that's just me

I like the show, but I must agree, its biggest weakness is the lack of character development.

Turning it into a 90-minute movie length feature would allow for more character development.

-t
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it really and like the mysteriousness of it all and the fact it left the ending open for a degree of interpretation. I do agree though it should have been longer and could have been so much better if it were at least an hour or hour and a half. But still, I enjoyed it and actually purchased it on its release date.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Sheesh people are spoiled by all the movies that're getting ever longer nowadays. There is such thing as a short story, y'know. Kakurenbo did quite a lot within the small time it had. Maybe you have to think a bit to get it, maybe not, but why not just take it for what it is?
Look, I can see that short stories are normally done differently. That is, they'll use more symbolism and/or hidden meaning than just beautiful graphics and spooky (even though I myself don't feel scared at all) creatures to make their stories interesting. Kakurenbo could've been much, much better as a full-length movie--backgrounds and dialogue are utterly lacking, and characters are stereotypes at best. Now? It's just an empty Hide&Seek game with confusing-yet-shallow "mystery" of that spoiler[masked girl, demons, and the empty town.]

Also, the dub isn't too good. Most of them are alright (albeit some kids, which I'd like to hear their voices, never give a single noise) but the girl's "scary voice" is simply lame. I never heard the sub so...

Indeed, I'm utterly surprised that Kakurenbo takes only a single time slot in AS. Even then, they should've done better in creating a coherent story--after all, looking at Champloo's episode 1, try to imagine that as the only thing that was ever created of Champloo, and you can still watch and enjoy the characters and story.

The graphics are beautiful, though. Really, potential wasted. Sad
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought the movie was quite good, a little short but it was really more of an eye-candy exhibition. The story could be a little longer but then it'll just drag on and on and waste everyones time with symbolism that isn't relevant to the story, why give 90 mins to a story that only needed 30?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3