• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Silver Spoon (TV) (both Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The albumin protects the developing chick but it also provides some nutrition, as it's mostly protein (well, mostly water, but the not-water is mainly protein), while the yolk has lots of fat and cholesterol and other tasty nutrients.

Unfertilized eggs sometimes do have tiny blood spots which occur if a blood vessel ruptures during ovulation. If you only get supermarket eggs you rarely see that since they're weeded out to keep from freaking out people who think it's an embryo growing. Smile Also, that occurs less frequently in battery caged chickens like were in the episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
This episode made me look at spoiler[horses] in a new light. But hey, it almost made me hungry as well (unrelated to that of course). It's still a refreshing watch and I'm enjoying this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I too had a horse club me in the face once. It really hurts.

Awesome episode as expected.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The facial expressions in this totally crack me up, along with all the little visual surprises, like the spoiler[arms coming out like an octopus to suck in the vet student.] Anime smallmouth

Here's your wtf-did-I-just-watch moment for today. 2013 winner of the American Society of Animal Science Video Competition. You can probably skip the first 20 sec. But I think the kids in Silver Spoon would fit right in with these lunatics (or vice versa). I love the cows sniffing the one girl's hair. Smile
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that's exactly like Silver Spoon; seems like exactly the sort of thing those characters would do. This made my day.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I enjoyed the second episode more than I expected, I have a fond opinion of all of the hard work displayed in the show, but still entertained by a number of the funny scenes. Like how the spoiler[vet guy was pulled into the cow club, and that he feinted when he found out how early he would have to wake up]. And that it turned out that it was spoiler[the principal that caught him cutting corners, and thought it was okay for him to joining the horse club for thinking that he would look cool], and joining a farm school with no real goal.

I think that one part I like about this is that it feels like our lead character is really growing each episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

spoiler[Horse meat]? They actually eat spoiler[horse] in Japan? *does a little research* That is rather interesting, apparently the taboo like attitude mostly only exists in countries like Australia, UK and USA, it seems pretty normal in many other countries. I do get interested in many of these differences between cultures.

Lol at the girls spoiler[telling him off for getting too attached to the piglet], even if it is super cute. I have a question, isn't the girl that I main character likes older than him or something, I can't quite tell.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
She's in the same year as him.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
I thought horse meat wasn't terribly uncommon in US/UK/AUS.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I thought horse meat wasn't terribly uncommon in US/UK/AUS.

lol, no. The general idea sounds pretty bad, which I am pretty sure is the general idea from my culture, I have never seen it in a supermarket. Thanks to Wikipedia I learned that we have farms for it in the Western part, but it looks like the pretty much only export instead of distribute it locally.

A while ago there was a big stink over revelations in the UK over horse meat ending up in general meat products.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
Italians and French have no qualms against eating horse meat, so I suppose that you would have no problem with buying it in ethnic market.

Horse meat is actually tasty and lean, making it a great choice for kids and everybody watching weight. Hoverer it's historical connotations makes it hard to eat for most of the Europeans- horses were never raised particularly for meat since they were too valuable, so those to be eaten eaten were usually old, overworked ones killed as they were too old to work or had a wounds too serious to heal properly. Or army horses eaten as last resort during siege or hard winter. In Polish "eating last horse" means spending last savings. The fact that horses are told to be intelligent and emotional also doesn't help (IMHO every pig not closed in shed beats the most intelligent horses when it comes to intelligence, but I guess the pigs aren't cute enough).

As a part-tome farm girl (I mean that I worked on my grandma's farm, not sunbathe while everyone was working) I'm pretty surprised that lots of people doesn't seem to know the basic facts about the way the food goes before it finish on our table- even those who used to visit their country cousins usually underestimate the amount of time and work that is required to grain any money from the ground. I'm especially furious when authors make characters move to the countryside where all their activities seem to be having guests and talking about lack of stress and huge amount of free time they have. While the farm seems to be run by elves or other slaves.

I wonder if they are going to show what to do when horse or cow eats wet grass. (Take a spike and make a hole in animal to relieve it- it was my favourite activity apart from labours and processing meat)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
Not to go off topic, but perhaps I might mention that we in Australia do have Kangaroo meat, perhaps it could be looked at as strange, but it is rather healthy.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Not to go off topic, but perhaps I might mention that we in Australia do have Kangaroo meat, perhaps it could be looked at as strange, but it is rather healthy.

I studied abroad there and I remember quite a few of Australia's animals on the menu. I didn't try anything that wasn't your normal chicken or beef myself though

I also remember only seeing more of the exotic stuff on a menu in Alice Springs. I was only there for a short time but that was a very interesting place.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
I don't think Silver Spoon is a good anime to watch...Thank you...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
^ Care to elaborate?

Ah, I haven't seen a horse pull since I was a kid. And I've never seen one like that, with hills and a loooong track. I'm kind of surprised they do horse pulls at all in Japan, but I wonder if it's anything like what was shown. The only ones I ever saw, the horses (usually a team) just pulled a weighted sled a short distance (like 10 or 20 feet or something) on a flat track. If they go the distance, they add more weight for the next round. I don't think I ever saw a horse fall down, let alone drop down to rest in the middle of it! I've seen the teams come unhitched and run off though. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12