• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump Goes Same-Day Digitally in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
EBookJapan sort-of has DRM though, in that you can't have the same thing downloaded to both your desktop and your iOS device at the same time. If you want to read it on the other device, you have to "upload" it to the cloud, which deletes it from your current place. Still, it's nice to have offline reading options for PC/Mac as well as mobile devices.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
EBookJapan sort-of has DRM though, in that you can't have the same thing downloaded to both your desktop and your iOS device at the same time. If you want to read it on the other device, you have to "upload" it to the cloud, which deletes it from your current place. Still, it's nice to have offline reading options for PC/Mac as well as mobile devices.

I hadn't noticed this. So I went and checked. And you're right. I'd downloaded it to my iPad last night and had flicked through it for about a half hour before bed. Then, about an hour ago I started playing around with the desktop app, just to see how backing up the files worked for importing.

Going back to the iOS app, at first the icon was present, but when I tapped it, it removed itself from the app.

Kind of annoying actually, since it takes freaking FOREVER to download over the Wi-Fi.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
They should have done the same in NA, why would they stop printing the physical copy? sigh. This way everyone gets pleased, people who prefer digital and people who prefer physical

I'd MUCH rather have the magazine digitally and up-to-date with Japan, then have it physically and way behind.

Digital is the best medium for WSJ over here in the West. It's really the only way to make it work. I see no reason why we're still making such a big deal over it not being physical.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm actually really glad about it being digital as opposed to physical. I'd make the environmental argument about the resources used to make the paper and then print it if I were trying to convince someone that digital was a good idea. As well as this I'd like to say that if it weren't digital I'm not sure where I would store all my magazines. I don't think I could bare to let Shonen Jump go in the recycling, and in fact still have a few I bought off the newsstand when it was still there. They're taking up room on my bookshelf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2