• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Minako Honda Dies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

I though leukemia is something you get from birth....and they didn't find out she had it till when?

You can be born with it, as genetics is one of the possible factors in it, but no, that's not the only way you can get it. It's a tough thing to have though. I have had a couple of family members die of it, although when I was much younger. It always seemed to come out of nowhere and just put them down for the count. Surprisingly, some part of Japan have abnormally high instances of myelocytic leukemia specifically.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
38 isn't young.

What are you nuts. 38 is extremely young..the average lifespan for women in this day and age is 74 but I believe that's soon going to change as to the increase rate of people living over 80 years. Steve you must be 8 years old because I can't believe you said 38 isn't young age to die.

And yes it's sad she died. She did good things as a singer for anime. Sorry if that sounds like everyone else or just plain non-emotional but I don't show emotions well....hell didn't even cry when my grand mother died.

Sorry, but the actual ammount of things you generally acheive, you know, the things that shape your entire life, happen before thirty eight. SHit, after 35 you're as good as old anyway(edit: not that this means you wont acheive anything worthwhile or find a brand spankin new goal in life, but really, chances are pretty slim).

Point is, she is not 20, 18, 7 or whatever. She lived a full and probably enriched life and had many years to live. She is not young. She is not "that" young, and I would have expected people to be more upset over the fact that she died of leukemia rather than being "so young". What is it with the ANN forums and being COMPLETELY retarded when it comes to death?

tl;dr- I said she wasnt young, I never said she was old either, so let it go with the kneejerk reactions, you sicophants
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
remember love wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
38 isn't young.

What are you nuts. 38 is extremely young..the average lifespan for women in this day and age is 74 but I believe that's soon going to change as to the increase rate of people living over 80 years. Steve you must be 8 years old because I can't believe you said 38 isn't young age to die.

And yes it's sad she died. She did good things as a singer for anime. Sorry if that sounds like everyone else or just plain non-emotional but I don't show emotions well....hell didn't even cry when my grand mother died.

Sorry, but the actual ammount of things you generally acheive, you know, the things that shape your entire life, happen before thirty eight. SHit, after 35 you're as good as old anyway(edit: not that this means you wont acheive anything worthwhile or find a brand spankin new goal in life, but really, chances are pretty slim).

Point is, she is not 20, 18, 7 or whatever. She lived a full and probably enriched life and had many years to live. She is not young. She is not "that" young, and I would have expected people to be more upset over the fact that she died of leukemia rather than being "so young". What is it with the ANN forums and being COMPLETELY retarded when it comes to death?

tl;dr- I said she wasnt young, I never said she was old either, so let it go with the kneejerk reactions, you sicophants

Well, though she did get things accomplished doesn't mean her goal was completed...Did you know what her goal was? Highly doubt it. and jsut because you're over 35 doesn't mean that you done everything your useless now... your still young, you still have life and can still do things that matter.
And people get upset for people who die at the age of 50 and still think they died at a young age. Fact is her life span ended way below the average life span of a women in my book that is coutned as a young death.

And calling the ANN forums/community retard because we think she died at a young age where she still had a chance to accomplish new things is a bad way of looking at things and cursing doesn't help the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
remember love wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
38 isn't young.

Dude, you're like, what, twelve? (if not physically, you definatally are twelve mentally.) You have NO IDEA what life is like past the age of 38, since you've no doubt never experienced it. I know because "OMG you're thirty-eight you're SO OLD!" is something people stop saying about the time they hit puberty. So stop attempting to discuss things you couldn't possible begin to understand, okay, junior? (disclaimer: even if you are, by some tragic anti-miracle, older than 38, be advised that sitting in your parent's basement trolling internet forums all day does not count as life experiance, so you're still not qualified to talk. But thanks for playing.)

And for the record, no, 38 is not very young by objective standards. But it is a young age to die. Youth, like so many other things, is subjective.

Anyway.

The Nadja theme song is one of the best anime themes ever, bar none. And now whenever I see the little chibis running around in the first Rayearth closing I'm going to get slightly down. So sad that the voice behind those songs has been silenced forever. Crying or Very sad
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Dude, you're like, what, twelve?

No, he just likes to play troll. Ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.

Back on topic: I liked her voice very much... It's sad that she died.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
No, he just likes to play troll. Ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.

No, and no, probably not.

edit: this sums up my argument a lot better than any written words-

TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Those are very, very sad news for the anime industry world.

May Minako Honda be J-POP's guardian angel now. Crying or Very sad

Leukemia, or blood cancer, is a quite serious illness. You aren't born with it, but it appears suddenly. However, if it's treated on time, it may be possible to remit.

However, it seems it couldn't be helped. It's really sad.

Rest in peace, Minako-sensei...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
I though leukemia is something you get from birth....and they didn't find out she had it till when?

She was diagnosed in January of this year.

person#7310
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
38 isn't young.
It's younger than 39 and up. Wink
tomcat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The thought of someone that young passing away from leukemia was something thats always so saddening, I've seen it happen to family and friends and theres no way I can feel anything thing but pain from the sorrow....God bless you Minako.
inu-liger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm really upset that Minako died. Although I wasn't aware of her anime theme contributions to begin with until recently, I had a couple of songs she did with one of the guys from my favourite band Queen, with Brian May. Those tracks were "Golden Days" and "Crazy Nights". GD was such a sad-sounding song, and I think it suited her very much. It is my (as well as Brian's) favourite of the two songs, although CN is also very good.

Taken from Brian May's Soapbox:

Quote:
Brian was asked how his working with Minako came about:

I don't remember very well how it began ..... her management came up with the idea of us working together I think. But when we met, I was very inspired, to write the songs, and we had a lovely time. She was very quick and accurate in the studio, especailly for someone so young, (19, I think) and the Japanese versions of the songs were so easy to finish. The hard thing was to do the English versions - her voice just did not easily make the consonant sounds necessary for pronouncing the English words, and we struggled to make it work. She was very hard-working, and I think one day I pushed a ilttle too hard, and she very quietly cried in a corner when she couldn't get it right. I always regretted that. I hadn't realized she felt so under pressure. She was a real perfectionist and would not quit. But in the end it all worked out and we were all smiling. There was much going on at the time for me .. I turned up one day to produce Minako with no voice whatever, having spent an evening with Anita on a freezing Westminster Bridge ... (It's a long story!) I had only recently met Anita and was VERY confused ! I was also involved with producing the fabulous Bad News record in this period ....another project which gave me great joy, and helped to get me through a very uncertain personal period in my life. Of the material we did, my favourite is Golden Days. It fitted her perfectly, her fragility, her joy, and the faint sadness which seemed to lay gently underneath. She moved me to tears even then. I think she was perceived by many as just a pop star in those days, but she was worthy of much better. She revealed her professionalism and depth when she took on roles in Musical Theatre later on. Damn.

Love
bri
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2