• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Monster Piece Theatre

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cauchy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
I know I'd read Death Note that much more easily if it was transliterated into propositional calculus, though I'd rather it be predicate calculus.
Ulthrion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Cauchy wrote:
I know I'd read Death Note that much more easily if it was transliterated into propositional calculus, though I'd rather it be predicate calculus.

Propositional Calculus is rather limited, so if all dialogue would be in that, then the story would probably be rather shallow. Predicate Calculus is much more powerful Cool.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm really looking forward to the day that Monster will be available here, as I haven't seen it around yet. It's on my list every since I read about the first time.

For the rest, good reviews overall. A nice read on an otherwise boring wednesday Very Happy. Keep up the good work!

Farseer Ulthrion
redcomet15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I have a question... Is Viz's translation of Golgo 13 starting from the Japanese volume 1, or is Viz just translating random chapters to see if Golgo 13 gets a good reception here in America, sorta like what they did with Bobobo? I ask this because I noticed in the ANN encyclopedia that Golgo 13 was first published in the 1960's, and that Viz's volume 1 has President Bill Clinton make an appearance. Now, I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain Bill Clinton wasn't President back in the '60's...
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
EEEKS?! THEY RELEASED MONSTER?!?! *slow*

While I absolutely adore Monster and certainly agree with the critic's decision (because I'm biased), I can see why people wouldn't like it. (A friend absolutely abhors the series). Like Death Note, it does tend to be a bit all-talk no-action at times, and while generally each chapter is vital to the plot (i.e. no fillers), some chapters are a lot more important than others, and (like Death Note again), the series gets this kind of wave--at some points it's so exciting you can't stop and at others it lulls out; it's not consistent.

But yanno, I LOVE MONSTER!!! ><
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
redcomet15 wrote:
I have a question... Is Viz's translation of Golgo 13 starting from the Japanese volume 1, or is Viz just translating random chapters to see if Golgo 13 gets a good reception here in America, sorta like what they did with Bobobo? I ask this because I noticed in the ANN encyclopedia that Golgo 13 was first published in the 1960's, and that Viz's volume 1 has President Bill Clinton make an appearance. Now, I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty certain Bill Clinton wasn't President back in the '60's...

There's a Golgo 13 "Best-of" 13-volume collection in Japan, and that's the source material they're using here. The full series, after all, is like 130+ something volumes, which would bring even a big publisher like Viz to its knees. Anime hyper

Lots more stuff about Golgo at this guy's blog.

minakichan wrote:
EEEKS?! THEY RELEASED MONSTER?!?! *slow*

Weeeell... they WILL release it; the street date is Feb 21. But definitely look forward to it! Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Weeeell... they WILL release it; the street date is Feb 21. But definitely look forward to it! Wink

Actually, some places have broken the street date. I saw copies at my Barnes & Noble last Friday and a few in my college's bookstore. If anyone is interested in getting a little sooner, go check any and all shops that sells books, you might get lucky and find one early Very Happy.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the Borders that I go to has released it as well. Stores seem to put manga out as soon as they get them, regardless of the street date.
redcomet15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
There's a Golgo 13 "Best-of" 13-volume collection in Japan, and that's the source material they're using here. The full series, after all, is like 130+ something volumes, which would bring even a big publisher like Viz to its knees. Anime hyper

Lots more stuff about Golgo at this guy's blog.

Ah, thankee kindly for the info and the link! Very good to know, indeed.

Quote:

Is that so? And I just saw Monster at my bookstore... Maybe I'll go buy it so I can have it early and feel special... Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2