• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai to Publish Top Cow Titles in Manga Format

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
Why are people making a big deal out of this?

Because people will take out their self-righteous fandom outrage on anything.

Double points for "If it's not Japanese, it's crrrrrrrrap!"

Anyway, who cares?

The same people that complain are the same people that arn't even going to buy it, so why do they care so much? Because, you're right about the self-righteous fandom. The same fandom that release tons of merchandise like CCG, pillow and Fullmetal Soap.

Now answer this question: Please try to compel me to buy said product.

You can try, when I can buy the originals (or issues 1-8 for under $150), a Graphic Novel ($20 for 8 collected issues), or be a cheapskate and find them online for free.

It's like the Cine-Manga/Ani-Manga/TV-manga. Why should I pay $13 for something that I can get as a used season set for $30 at Gamestop (Inu-Yasha) or watch it for free on [adult swim] (Cowboy Bebop)?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Patachu wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
Why are people making a big deal out of this?

Because people will take out their self-righteous fandom outrage on anything.

Double points for "If it's not Japanese, it's crrrrrrrrap!"

Anyway, who cares?

The same people that complain are the same people that arn't even going to buy it, so why do they care so much? Because, you're right about the self-righteous fandom. The same fandom that release tons of merchandise like CCG, pillow and Fullmetal Soap.

Now answer this question: Please try to compel me to buy said product.

You can try, when I can buy the originals (or issues 1-8 for under $150), a Graphic Novel ($20 for 8 collected issues), or be a cheapskate and find them online for free.

It's like the Cine-Manga/Ani-Manga/TV-manga. Why should I pay $13 for something that I can get as a used season set for $30 at Gamestop (Inu-Yasha) or watch it for free on [adult swim] (Cowboy Bebop)?

What are you talking about, Kunta? I'm saying if you're not interested in the product in the first place, why do you care so much about it being release to say it's the worst possible idea ever? Maybe you're not even the target audience. If you're not interesetd in Cine-mana or OEL, that's your choice. There are people out there that do enjoy cine-manga or comic in black and white, OEL or cheaper format and that's their choice. I do understand that there is a TPB version out there (as I mention before) for people that prefer that, so nobody's forcing you to do anything. I'm not going to write something off because it doesn't appeal to me because I know it might appeal to someone else.

It's like that argument about why people care so much for Naruto's Dub (saying it's a bad idea) when all they're going to watch are the fansub or the uncut dvd's subtitle. The dub serve its purpose and isn't for everyone.

If you're interested, than check it out yourself. If you're not interested, then simply move on.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Your point is irrevelant because you just proven my point as well. Why even pay for Cowboy Bebop DVD at gamestop when you can watch it for free? Why even buy the Monster manga when the anime follow it exactly? Everybody has their reason, so your reason of choosing not to buy cine-manga is your own reason. Many fan might have the same reasons as you, but that doesn't make it the absolute "right" nor is it a wrong reason.

The point is that Anime focuses on merchandising. If you watch the series, you might be compell to buy the dvd that you just saw. You might even buy the cine-manga of the series you just saw. You might even buy a fraeking Cowboy Bebop artbook or "guidebook" of what you just saw. There's a lot of option and alternative in life. I'm wondering if anime fan are always this close minded to new ideas and can't choose for themself?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:47 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
whole buncha crap I dare not quote

You bloody sod, what are you smoking?

You don't get the bloody point. Why in the name of heck should Bandai go out of it's way to retranslate a nearly decade-old series when cheaper alternatives (Graphic novels in a much more bigger format than your average manga and grouped together in issue blocks) or even "Status Symbols" (the original printings of said issues) exist? It's like saying "Hell, theirs like 40 other companies printing 1984, let's make our own version!! Only we edit it to make it less post-apocolyptic and less police-state like. Oh, and it needs more positive symbols like the black helicoptors shoot love instead of bullets."

And it's the same bloody thing with the Ani-Manga. New, individual issues cost what, $14 a pop? Compared to a DVD box set new, what, $100 for 6 discs with 30 some-odd episodes?

$14 X 30 Issues = $420 vs $100/30 Episodes = $3.34 per Episode.

It's a better bargain to just get the Box set DVD's than waste money and time waiting for each Ani-Manga to creep out at a snails pace.

And for both sides, thats money that could be better spent elsewhere. Bandai could use the money not spent on re-translating Witchblade bringing over another fine property to the USA. The money saved by not buying the ani-manga could buy 42 regular manga or more at $9.99 or less. Those sales could entice those respective property owners to get new properties to release stateside because PEOPLE ARE BUYING SAID PROPERTIES.

It's not stupid fanboyism. It's plain simple business sense.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:58 am Reply with quote
Retranslate? Are you serious? Did I miss something here or did Bandai say they're going to retranslate the original storyline? They're reprinting 10 issue in manga format. Black and white. Digi-size.

Why?
Quote:

“Though American comics are not normally found in the manga section of stores we feel the right title repackaged in the manga format will introduce this material to the mass market buyer.”

More visibility? Probably reaching the manga fan that normally dont' read comic.

What else? It's cheaper, 10 issue (maybe 250+ pages) for 10 dollar is pretty cheap compare. Why did you think Marvel Release the Essential Edition which contain 30 issue with no color for 15 dollar when they already have Marvel Master work edition with 10 issue and color for 50 dollar? Some people prefer the cheaper edition while other prefer the more expensive high quality versin. The point is that it's trying to appeal to differnt people. You're thinking that everyone thinks the same way and act the same way. That's why you're so simple minded.

There are probably other reason why Bandai chooses this format. Who are you to say they're wrong? Are you a business analysis (probably not since mind is set only on 1 idea)? Maybe you should start your own companies and become rich.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
It's a better bargain to just get the Box set DVD's than waste money and time waiting for each Ani-Manga to creep out at a snails pace.

I don't think ani-manga were meant as alternative for anime fans to choose over the DVD. You're making anime fan choose or at least that's your reason. Anime fan will chose the the dvd regardless and you're assuming everyone are anime fan. Anime fan that already have the dvd might be interestd in the comic because it's a a different format. Cine-manga serve their purposes in other ways even though you may think they don't.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

And it's the same bloody thing with the Ani-Manga. New, individual issues cost what, $14 a pop? Compared to a DVD box set new, what, $100 for 6 discs with 30 some-odd episodes?

$14 X 30 Issues = $420 vs $100/30 Episodes = $3.34 per Episode.

30 issue x 14 dollar? Dude, again you forgot that cine-manga cover like 2 episode per volume and the cowboy one you're refering to is 11 dollar retail. Maybe if you get some of your info correct, I can take you more seriously. So it's more like 13 issue (26 episode) x 11 dollar = 143. And that's not the point either. Cine-manga isn't an alternative for anime fan to skip the DVD. It's probably reaching to the hardcore fanbase or those that never seen the series at all. Not everybody watches anime or is a fan of anie so that's why an hardcore comic fan can pick up 12 issue of a cine-manga he likes. It's appealing to a different audience. It can also appeal manga-fan only too.

The reason why cine-manga is more expensive than regular manga is production cost it's larger size and has color. So if someone that has absolute no interested in anime, and are fan of comic/manga... they can check out the Trigun Ani-manga or they can check out the original manga. Anime fan will choose the anime regardless.

Not everybody think the same, I've known people that buy cine-manga becuase they enjoy the series so much and there's nothing wrong with that. I've been to comic shop in which people where checking out cine-manga because they have no idea what InuYasha was. You let your money do the talking instead of worrying about everybody else's wallet. I don't even kow why ani-manga got into the discussion, but it seem to be doing okay according to diamond.

Also bandai stated months ago that they're going to create their own original manga that follow their property (Eureka 7) or take a differnt approach to manga. They chooses not to follow the standard way and they're doing what they feel is best for their company. Viz already have Shueisha & Shogakukan, while Del Rey seem to be getting all Kodansha title, so it's not like they can dive right in or they might end up like ADV.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:28 am; edited 19 times in total
beast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote
It's amusing to see American comics purists cry out in pain, for a change. ^.^
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote
After re-reading the article, I will admit that I jumped the gun over the artwork flipping comment,

Otherwise, my position still stands. Further, I said that I would understand 4Kids doing this, however, I would (of course) still have a problem with it, not to mention if this was done by any other company.

Also as a reminder, "keeping an open mind" doesn't apply here; it's not about being open-minded or close-minded, nor does "don't complain about something you're not going to buy" apply here. I don't know about anyone else, but I just can't simply ignore the whole matter like nothing happened. It isn't just simple disinterest.

Also, I said I want actual manga, but that doesn't make me a fanboy/girl/anything. If that were the case, then I would be showing an "American comics suck" attitude in my posts. I apologize if they came off that way, I really do. Sad However, the problem is, BEI, is marketing a previous ly released American comic as a "manga", when it clearly isn't. Taking away the color and publishing it in a smaller trade paperback doesn't make it a manga (that's the so-called "manga format"?), it's just an American comic released years ago that has been altered from the original release. I'm sorry, Darkhunter, if you don't agree, but that just simply isn't a "manga" no matter how you look at it. There's a difference between a "broad" definition of manga, and a "misbegotten" one. Again, that doesn't mean that I am a fanboy/girl/whatever.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

There are probably other reason why Bandai chooses this format. Who are you to say they're wrong? Are you a business analysis (probably not since mind is set only on 1 idea)?

Methinks you forgotten my analysis post on 4Kids a long time back. About them trying to diversify abit due to their mishandling of One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew?

And don't get me started yet on how the manga market might eventually mirror the Comic Book Bust of the 90's. 2 key factors already happened to Manga.....Bandai might make a third if their dumb enough to try this idea.

Quote:
Maybe you should start your own companies and become rich.

I only live by the quote of OCP: Every share of stock is worth one vote. Razz
evilsteven2000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
honestly, i totally disagree about this crap. Witchblade changes to anime or manga. Where the original man?

Ok, i m quite a big fan of witchblade. I love the witchblade design.
i hate it, when it was shown as TV series. I hate that WITCHBLADE. The weapon was totally crappy.

When I heard this anime. it made me to scream or yell. "WHAT THE fudge?"

it reminded me "manga spiderman". The artist, who did it is the author of "Tomorrow's Joe."
Seriously, it was totally Shit. They changed peter parker with another name.

Japanese had made Spiderman live actionn TV series. another word is "spiderman tokusatsu".

I showed the picture and the music. they made my friend screamed and laughed.

i have been waiting the animation of witchblade, which look like "x-man evolution". Is it sound cool?

fine, they can create manga. I like Batman manga, which is done by Kia Asamiya (Silent Morbius's Author).
The Author didn't change the originality only different style.
Their name are still the same. ex "Bruce Wayne".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2