• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Licenses Pretty Cure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
GreatSaiyaman777 wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'm relieved, though, that they're sticking to children's shows. What would really be awful is if they started licensing shows aimed at older audiences and hacked them up in an attempt to create teen-friendly programming.

They already do that with One Piece.

No, One Piece was aimed at children. But yes, I hope they never create a 4teens... that would be awful.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
crap crap crap crap!!!

there goes my hope for DVD release with Japanese audio.....

any prospect on 4Kids releasing Tokyo Mew Mew as uncut DVD release with Japanese audio?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I look at Pretty Cure and I defintiely see it as 4Kids material, perhaps they'll do this show justice then. I'll give 'em a chance.
hiimrisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Argh. I hope someone they miraculously heard all the bad complaints and have decided to keep it like it's original. I doubt it. But it gets more fandom. Everyone saw how crazy people went over Tokyo Mew Mew.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
By the way, English-dubbed Pretty Cure trailers already exist, though those were dubbed by Toei for when they were shopping around the show to syndicators and won't likely reflect the final dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I'm going to remain neutral, but I thought a Bandai series would be licensed by, well, Bandai. Perhaps they'll get a piece of the DVD market.

I know you've modified your comment; just for the record: Ah! My Goddess (TV) had Bandai Visual as a member of its production committee, yet it was licensed by Media Blasters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac: It'd be hilarious if 4Kids got a show like Gantz, but I doubt that would happen in a million years.

Anyway, I wonder if they'll lease the home video rights out to FUNi or Viz's Shojo Beat video line. If the latter, then kiss your uncut subs goodbye. I don't even really understand Toei's logic in selling the show to 4Kids after the ratings for One Piece were so disappointing. Maybe they're still clinging to the hope that the company will break even with the dubbed and cut Shonen Jump dvds. It doesn't make sense. You take away Sailor Moon from the companies which know how to market it, but you sell PreCure to a company whose previous shojo acquisition was received well in spite of their refusal to support it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
By the way, English-dubbed Pretty Cure trailers already exist, though those were dubbed by Toei for when they were shopping around the show to syndicators and won't likely reflect the final dub.

I have to say that there's one interesting thing about Pretty Cure, and that's the girls actually fight. They actually use hand-to-hand combat and use a finishing energy-blasting move against their enemies which vaguely reminds me of something from DBZ.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not pissed that 4Kids licensed.

Okay, yes I am, but not that 4Kids will be dubbing it. 4Kids will be advertising this. 4Kids will license merchandise for it. 4Kids will choose where this show is supposed to air.

In short, 4Kids will make this show a failure Sad
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
I'm going to remain neutral, but I thought a Bandai series would be licensed by, well, Bandai. Perhaps they'll get a piece of the DVD market.

I know you've modified your comment; just for the record: Ah! My Goddess (TV) had Bandai Visual as a member of its production committee, yet it was licensed by Media Blasters.

Yep, which is why I'm hopeful FUNimation will score Keroro Gunsou.

Back on topic, Pretty Cure isn't a title I was interested in seeing, but anytime 4Kids gets a title, I get depressed. The recent interview with one of their executives further showed that the company is run by folks who have absolutely no idea about anime and think that we are just hardcore fans who want literal subtitled versions to AIR on TV. After all, 4Kids has brought more anime to us than anyone else. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

http://www.animeboredom.co.uk/anime-articles/80/
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
err... well i guess it makes sense. i wonder why they're licensing all these magical girls shows lately. is shounen not bringing in money any more?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
v1cious: They're trying to tap into a market they've long ignored. I think Nelvana screwing up with Card Captors and the shojo manga boom has made companies like 4Kids realize that girls buy crap too.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
v1cious: They're trying to tap into a market they've long ignored. I think Nelvana screwing up with Card Captors and the shojo manga boom has made companies like 4Kids realize that girls buy crap too. I'm not sure why Zac thinks they buy less crap than guys, though, since I can't imagine the average guy being into Kaleidostar or even Peach Girl.

....when did I say that?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
4Kids will choose where this show is supposed to air.

Within the timeslots they're given by the nets that buy the show, which are usually ratings deadzones, especially considering the migration of the bulk of the kidvid audience to Nickelodeon, which doesn't do business with those kinds of syndicators at all.

Yes, the timeslots in which 4Kids shows air are not the most lucrative, but they can't put the shows in the better-rated timeslots which the broadcaster/station won't make available to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
err... well i guess it makes sense. i wonder why they're licensing all these magical girls shows lately. is shounen not bringing in money any more?

I'm thinking it's because there aren't any shonen series that can be big for kids right now. Viz has MAR secured, and Beet if they're ever interested in it. I don't know that even 4Kids could Americanize Keroro Gunso without trimming the entire series down to about 20 episodes. I can't see 4Kids interested in Eyeshield 21 at all. Yakitate!! Japan would be about the only one I could think, but I don't think Fighting Foodons went over too well for them to want to go for a food based anime right now. The upcoming Gintama may be a bit too weird for American children (at least judging on how well Bo-bobo is going over right now). And of course, Bleach was never an option for 4Kids to begin with. I would attribute lack of shonen licenses to lack of marketable kids shonen right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9