• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - March 4th-10th

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
oh man... there's gonna be a lot of jaws dropping at the end tonight's Fullmetal Alchemist.

I wasn't gonna watch it because I've missed a few recent episodes, but judging by all this talk, perhaps I should see it just for the shock value.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Very nice article, Brian! I'm really looking forward to this every week.

Hmmm...Maybe I should tape Trigun...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Whoa. G.I. Joe is anime? My anime life is a liiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

It's an anime, just not a very good one. Blame Hasbro and their touch, because every show they touch turns to absolute crap.

And yeah, pretty much everybody who was looking at Sigma Six was surprised when we found out Hasbro was dumping more money into the pit that the show became. The ratings were so horrible, everyone thought the only reason 4Kids kept it on the block was because they were getting a cut of the toy sales. (That's also not true, which is even more puzzling)
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Oh,so noooooooow someone tells me about Beyblade's schedule change.

キング オフ ダークネッス(King Of Darkness)

*engulfs Disney HQ into a dark void*
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
camelot187757 wrote:
Whoa. G.I. Joe is anime? My anime life is a liiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

It's an anime, just not a very good one. Blame Hasbro and their touch, because every show they touch turns to absolute crap.

And yeah, pretty much everybody who was looking at Sigma Six was surprised when we found out Hasbro was dumping more money into the pit that the show became. The ratings were so horrible, everyone thought the only reason 4Kids kept it on the block was because they were getting a cut of the toy sales. (That's also not true, which is even more puzzling)
That's because these are not "shows" These are toy adverts that are 25 minutes long. They give the kiddies an idea how to play with their toys and lets them imagine they are acting in an episode.

Slightly OT here but what ever happened to the monthly reports from Japan that were done here a while back? The ones with indepth interviews with various personages involved with anime, or manga, or both?
naushika

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
And the fact that they'll never release uncut Ojamajo Doremi DVD's with Japanese audio saddens me.

Me too. I especially am sad about the new op/ed songs. I know it was inevitable that they would replace them with new songs in english, but still...the japanese Ojamajo songs always make me smile. (so...happy/perky/positive...hehe...yeah.) Smile Wink

Also, believe it or not, I thought of an anime that was not included: Vandread. I'm pretty sure that its on the Encore Action channel. I'm not sure what nights/times it is on though.

But other than that, I'm EXTREMELY impressed with this new column! It's obvious that you put so much work/time into it (just compiling all those shows is a lot of work in itself), and I'm looking forward to checking back every week for the weekly breakdown of television anime. I'm sure a lot of fans agree with me that this will be really helpful. Thank you! Very Happy
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
Great job on the new column!

This will be very useful to those looking for anime on TV. I'm even suprised by some of the shows on the air (like all the ABC Family stuff)
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
Very nicely done. And as impressive as this is it'll be even more impressive to see this done consistently from week to week.

One line did kinda concern me though:
Quote:
hired two imps named Bob Bucholz and Jeff Nimoy, who transformed the once-funny project into a nigh-unwatchable series of constant fourth-wall breaking and self-references, much like they’ve done with such dubs as Rave Master and Digimon, all so the show would cost even less not very much money.

I'm a pretty big fan of Digimon and can't say I've noticed all that much fourth-wall breaking, maybe only a couple times a season, certainly not to the extreme that Dual Masters takes it, it's hardly comparable and seems like a stretch to mention it. And I assume when you say "much like they've done" you're only referring to the fourth-wall comment and not the "nigh-unwatchable" comment as that would have been far from the truth after being a huge success from Bandai and Saban.

BTW, Sigma Six has actually gotten slightly better in recent episodes, the one featuring Snake Eyes vs. Stormshadow was especially good.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote
Glad to see people are enjoying it. It's certainly a challenge, and will continue to be so week-to-week, but its worth it.

And I figured that people would be surprised over what's still on the air and at what time. Anime acquisitions are usually pretty cheap and disposable for most networks, and their timeslots can change at the drop of a hat with little or no mention, so I thought it'd be neat to give people a heads up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
red stranger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
I just want to know who came up with the idea that Samurai Champloo is underrated? The DVDs are selling like hotcakes, and the show's rating here on ANN is "Excellent".

If anything it's overated...
ocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
"The Click" by Brian Hanson is a welcome addition to Anime New Network. I would like to suggest two shows to include in the next edition of "The Click":

Yu Yu Hakusho on Cartoon Network - I've been watching Yu Yu Hakusho ever since it premiered on CN, despite unannounced and seemingly random schedule changes. New episodes, for CN at least, premiere Saturdays at 5am ET.

Cromartie High School on G4’s Anime Unleashed: I’m not a big fan of G4 ever since they killed off most of the old TechTV lineup, but Anime Unleashed has premiered some of the best Anime I’ve seen on TV: RahXephon, Serial Experiments Lain, Last Exile, … Any discussion of TV amine must include Anime Unleashed offerings.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
ocate wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho on Cartoon Network - I've been watching Yu Yu Hakusho ever since it premiered on CN, despite unannounced and seemingly random schedule changes. New episodes, for CN at least, premiere Saturdays at 5am ET.

Look again, it's on there, right between YGOGX and Zatch Bell.

red stranger wrote:
I just want to know who came up with the idea that Samurai Champloo is underrated? The DVDs are selling like hotcakes, and the show's rating here on ANN is "Excellent".

If anything it's overated...

Yes and no. It does rate well, but not nearly as well as Cowboy Bebop which a lot of people were expecting to re-experience through Champloo. When judged on its own merits it way have drawn more people in than away. Then again maybe without the name recognition it could have done worse as well, really could have gone either way. It's not a bad show, but despite what sales and ratings say it's being judged harshly for not being CB.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Quote:
hired two imps named Bob Bucholz and Jeff Nimoy, who transformed the once-funny project into a nigh-unwatchable series of constant fourth-wall breaking and self-references, much like they’ve done with such dubs as Rave Master and Digimon, all so the show would cost even less not very much money.

I'm a pretty big fan of Digimon and can't say I've noticed all that much fourth-wall breaking, maybe only a couple times a season, certainly not to the extreme that Dual Masters takes it, it's hardly comparable and seems like a stretch to mention it. And I assume when you say "much like they've done" you're only referring to the fourth-wall comment and not the "nigh-unwatchable" comment as that would have been far from the truth after being a huge success from Bandai and Saban.

Yeah, Digimon was fairly decent in terms of staying to the path and I honestly don't remember any 4th wall or self-referential material (except for Tamers when the entire premise kinda tore down the 4th wall)

If you're looking for early 00's nigh-unwatchable offerings from Saban, you might want to look at Mon Colle Knights. It was filled with the stuff that Duel Masters is made of, except that I found it to be hilarious as opposed to DM which I found kind of trying (of course, the English-version scriptwriters for MCK had lots of space to fill, so you can't blame them)
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
[Your grammar and spelling are unacceptable for the standards set by ANN. Improve immediately or face disciplinary actions. -Nagi]
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
You know, I've been so busy the last few months that I've gone a bit out of touch with anime on cable TV. It's great that there's a new column like this to get me caught up, sort of like a checklist of shows I was watching. Keep up the good work!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3