• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Neon Genesis Evangelion 10th Anniversary Box Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
(low keyed) Wow... While I've only managed to collect the first four volumes of Eva Platinum so far (all of it for under $15 per volume from Best Buy clearances, thank goodness Razz), I'm a bit angry at this announcement. I've always hated ADV for their dubbing, but respected them for some of the titles that they have under their fat and oversaturated belt.

However, if they're marketing strategies continue on like this, I'll be glad their site got hacked and hope it happens many times more and stronger each time than the one before it until they ultimately go bankrupt or some six maniacs do Jinchuu on them or something...
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
wow, how much more could they possibly do this series? i mean what else is left? maybe they should just redo the whole show with sock puppets.

ADV is offically the Rob Liefeld of anime Laughing
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, how much more could they possibly do this series? i mean what else is left? how about they just redo the whole show with sock puppets? Laughing

Lol! Yeah, kind of like they did with that Noir dvd easter egg. That would probably make the show a little more enjoyable.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Good god.Ever hear of milking a cow for everything it has?Well meet eva and adv.Beating a dead horse is one thing but beating a dead horse and then dancing on it's grave is to much.While over all i think adv is doing a good job just give up the horse already..it's long dead and buried.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay this is just getting ridiculous, I said they were overkilling it before the Platinums even got released but this is... GOOD GOD! I hate ADV, I've always thought they had no clue what they were doing and had terrible dubs and public relations policies but now I have to add excessive marketing to the list. There's only so many times you can keep doing the same thing over and over and over.
therapy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
maybe it is a nice leather jacket! MAYBE then it would justify the $250. ^^;
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, that's sad. I mean, I got the Eva boxset that came out before platinum (go figure, I get it right before Platinum comes out), and now, they're releasing MORE? Dude, this is getting annoying.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget to pick up the "We Honestly Can't Believe You're Still Buying This" boxset next year.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
What's next? Are they going to release the Eva versions that have been directly approved by God? And then they'll move on to the versions that have been approved by the first microbe!

As for George Lucas, ADV should wait because it was recently announced that Lucas is releasing the ORIGINAL original versions of Star Wars along with the ORIGINAL remastered versions on the same dvd.

Eva has now officially joined Stargate, Army of Darkness, and Elektra as the most ripped-off of itself releases of all time. (And actually, Army is the only good movie of the bunch).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I even bothered to get Eva Platinum was because I stumbled upon the thinpack for $45 at Wal-Mart and I hadn't finished collecting the series yet.

Unless I happened to stumble upon this box for like $5, I'm most definitely not going to bother.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
red stranger

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I hate ADV, I've always thought they had no clue what they were doing and had terrible dubs and public relations policies but now I have to add excessive marketing to the list.
Has anybody seen ADV's CIty Hunter releases? This people can't even SUBtitle properly.

That having been said, I've been thinking about buying NGE, but I'm sure not spending $250 for this set. I've gotta save my money for all the Cowboy Bebop shit that Bandai's putting out...Smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Satsuki from Ghost Stories, Episode 13 wrote:
Oh, man, that is bullsh** is what that is!
Sorry, ADV, I spent a moderate amount of money on the Platinum edition singles, and those feel like they have enough extras for me. This makes me want to go and DL ADV anime purely out of spite Evil or Very Mad
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wow, how much more could they possibly do this series? i mean what else is left? maybe they should just redo the whole show with sock puppets.

ADV is offically the Rob Liefeld of anime Laughing

Sock puppets, that alone could be worth half that! Throw in an MST3k commentary, Shinji whine-o-meter, some fan made movies from a contest.. and a LOT more for me to throw in my hard earned gas money.

And then again for the price of two, i could buy the new PS3 instead for Christmas.

But ADV, the Rob Liefeld of anime? I dont think so. They put put out a good variety of quality stuff and crap.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd just also like to take the time out to mention that last time I checked, anniversary only had two r's in it.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Considering that this is the 10th anniversary of the release of Evangelion in the Western market, I would imagine that there is a limited amount of sets that ADV will offer. It looks like that this set only appeals to avid Eva collectors; casual fans won't touch this thing, nor do I believe that the casual fans are the target demographic for the LE sets. If you haven't bought Eva yet, stick with the Platinum editions or buy the thinpak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7