• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Staff Streams Kill La Kill Anime's 3-Minute Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm going to be watching this for sure, because it sounds interesting, but I really don't like the character designs...

Yeah, the character designs are my biggest issue... looks like something straight out of the 80s or something. The concept seems fine, but the art will surely drag down my enjoyment overall. I wish it was closer to TTGL kinda art which was still attractive while being different.
totoum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:
These trailers and promos have been great, but I'm hoping that this show actually lives up to the HUGE hype that's been thrust upon it.t

What huge hype?

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-04/biglobe-poll/most-anticipated-fall-2013-anime

I mean sure, its got some hype, but lets not kid ourselves about it being another SAO or AoT in terms of hype or anything.

biglobe is just a specific community and doesn't represent everyone , SAO or AoT didn't rank that high either.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
What?

This looks just like Gurren Lagann. There's hardly a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
What?

This looks just like Gurren Lagann. There's hardly a difference.

Maybe its just the character designs themselves which are lacking, I dunno. But theres no Yoko, Nia or any other good designed girls from TTGL in this show. Their designs are pretty odd looking... like that high school girl. Her face is all fat and weird looking, there weren't any characters like that in TTGL. All the girls in that show were designed to look attractive, but this girl is just designed to look weird.

Thats basically what I mean... the characters are going for a more "off the wall, trying to make every character look like a different artstyle" thing that was big in the 80s, instead of having one universal art style that was attractive like TTGL.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090222054225/gurennlagann/images/2/29/17157-61177-gurrenragonmonjpg-550x.jpg

Just to illustrate my point further, look at this pic. It looks like a pretty normal art style, where everyone looks like they are part of the same anime. But this show has characters that all look like they'd be part of different anime because of their designs.

cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit550x550/cms/news/65992/chara01.jpg
vs
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/news/66417/img3.png

I would never guess they were the same show if I didn't already know.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
And this is a problem how, Ryan?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
And this is a problem how, Ryan?

Because I don't like how it looks, simple as that. I don't need any other reason to not like something.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Just to illustrate my point further, look at this pic. It looks like a pretty normal art style, where everyone looks like they are part of the same anime. But this show has characters that all look like they'd be part of different anime because of their designs.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/beastofbloodgaara/media/Captain%20Harlock%20n%20Gurren%20Lagann/kamina1c.jpg.html
vs
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcoj2p2dWt1rv81q0o1_r1_500.jpg

I would never guess they were the same show if I didn't already know.

hmm
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
totoum wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:
These trailers and promos have been great, but I'm hoping that this show actually lives up to the HUGE hype that's been thrust upon it.t

What huge hype?

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-09-04/biglobe-poll/most-anticipated-fall-2013-anime

I mean sure, its got some hype, but lets not kid ourselves about it being another SAO or AoT in terms of hype or anything.

biglobe is just a specific community and doesn't represent everyone , SAO or AoT didn't rank that high either.

Spot on. We know what kind of people lurk and vote there, of course this is not in their priorities right RyanSaotome.

Thou not related to this new season "popularity" looks what happens with polls in which everyone votes and not just the minority that represents the hardcore fanbase:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-04-05/one-piece-luffy-db-goku-top-fuji-tv-anime/tokusatsu-hero-poll

You have Minami (Touch) as the most beloved heroine EVER.

And the hype RyanSaotome comes from Gurren Lagann and that ypu ahev the same team working here on this new anime, (GL) which is a masterpiece with no room for arguing over it, arguably the only one that cna become a full fledged classic of the 2000s, being one of the few anime series that got universal praise.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm going to be watching this for sure, because it sounds interesting, but I really don't like the character designs...

Yeah, the character designs are my biggest issue... looks like something straight out of the 80s or something. The concept seems fine, but the art will surely drag down my enjoyment overall. I wish it was closer to TTGL kinda art which was still attractive while being different.

80sn anime, not quite, more than 90s, but even better for me. Dunno what you are complaining, dont you see those 2 lolis there, specially pink haired one, that one seems to be targeting a specific kind of fans.

Also this team is so in love with the older classics, Gurren Laggan was a huge homage to older classics.

YET, I kinda of agree RyanSaotome, this series has characters that seem out of place here, specially those lolis hinting moe. Some characters designs indeed seem kind of off and personalities too, kind of too cheerful, too colorful from some.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
Definitely gives off a Gurren Lagann look and feel, which I wholeheartedly approve of. The designs are quite nice, and I find the use of fanservice here more humorous than arousing (which is totally okay). The animation is very fast and kinetic, something I haven't seen since (you guessed it) Gurren Lagann.

Really, this looks to be one of the best shows of the year so far. Only time will tell whether or not it will live up to the hype, but all signs point towards a positive outcome. Bring it on, TRIGGER!

Agreed.

Also, definitely loving the return of their energetic animation.

Really excited for this to start.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I love how the designs of the commoners have an old-school goofiness compared to the slickness and style of the four heavenly kings. Leave it to Sushio to give meaning to each individual character's design. I like how Ryuuko and Satsuki have this timeless combination of simplicity and style; you can tell they're the protagonist and antagonist and embody different philosophies just by looking at them. Absolute solidity and fortitude meeting the archetypal wild element: I look forward to seeing the clash of ideals and turmoil that Ryuuko brings to Satsuki's totalitarian regime.

The only design element that's unappealing to me is Ryuuko's fanservice-y battle outfit. My enjoyment of it will probably hinge on how it's used in the show: basically, if the ridiculousness is deliberate or commented on.
totoum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
YET, I kinda of agree RyanSaotome, this series has characters that seem out of place here, specially those lolis hinting moe. Some characters designs indeed seem kind of off and personalities too, kind of too cheerful, too colorful from some.

I swear if Ergo Proxy came out today someone would look at the Pino character and accuse manglobe of "pandering to moe lovers" Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

YET, I kinda of agree RyanSaotome, this series has characters that seem out of place here, specially those lolis hinting moe.

Really? If you're referring to Mako, I see her more as a goofy sidekick friend towards the action heroine Ryuuko. It's a classic pairing.

Quote:
Some characters designs indeed seem kind of off and personalities too, kind of too cheerful, too colorful from some.

And that what makes it distinctive which is having the variety of unique character body designs while still being anime. I've noticed Trigger did the same thing with Little Witch Academia with the 3 main girls.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
These trailers and promos have been great, but I'm hoping that this show actually lives up to the HUGE hype that's been thrust upon it.
This show has hype? Laughing I only see a few people on ANN looking forward to it.. most anime fans dont seem to care or know about it
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:
These trailers and promos have been great, but I'm hoping that this show actually lives up to the HUGE hype that's been thrust upon it.
This show has hype? Laughing I only see a few people on ANN looking forward to it.. most anime fans don't seem to care or know about it

For what its worth, it is 5th most anticipated show on MAL.

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=0&tag=&p=0&r=0&sm=9&sd=1&sy=2013&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=f&gx=0&o=7&w=1

ANN does seem more nostalgia oriented than most places though, so a show with an old art style and isn't full of moe would probably appeal to them more than other sites.
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
My god, I fear for these threads when the show actually starts airing, if they're this completely stupid now.
Jave wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:
This show has hype? Laughing I only see a few people on ANN looking forward to it.. most anime fans don't seem to care or know about it

You don't seem to know crap about "most anime fans", then, you complete [insults removed]
RyanSaotome wrote:
isn't full of moe

Why do you think this show won't be full of moe? How are you defining that?
Personally, I find Ryuuko's ridiculously manly voice very moe, it gets me all hot and bothered haah haah haah haah
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6