• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hanasaku Iroha Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I'd say that was the low point of the series (the MOUT episode probably wasn't much better, but I'm biased due to my affection for military anime Laughing ), and that the show deserves another chance if you dismissed it based on that. Most of what goes on in the show is pretty wholesome, and the cast is likable (even Tooru has gotten somewhat better).

That's reassuring to hear. I definitely will be giving it another chance, if for the animation quality alone, and because I like Ohana so much.

Big Hed wrote:
Wait, wait... So you didn't buy her transformation because it seemed closer to her character than Carl gave her credit for (I agree, by the way, in that she didn't strike me as entirely selfish)?

Um, yes, I think that's close to what I meant. I just didn't think of Ohana as selfish or irresponsible: on the contrary, everyone around her was and she actually seemed really compliant and fair-minded (I mean, if my mom had told me she was running off and sending me to live with a grandmother I didn't really know I'd have reacted much fouler).
Big Hed wrote:
I wouldn't call her decision to take a proactive attitude to her life "careless and discordant nonsense."

No, no, I was referring to the bondage/erotic writer scenario with that comment. I thought that Ohana's decision to be proactive set the series in the right direction; then she started letting some creepy stranger tie her up as part of this resolve and it felt like I wasn't even watching the same show.

khaos1019 wrote:
I don't really think the series is aiming for tried and true realism at all, and I thought that was pretty apparent from the first episode when...

In regards to your, erm, spoiler (which I believe is detailed in the series' synopsis?), I can see your point; I disagree that her mother's apparent irresponsibility and consequent elopement is quite as unbelievable (at least within the confines of the story) as the notion of a young girl permitting a total stranger who admits to having erotic fantasies about her and her friends practice BDSM rope tricks on her without protest, but at any rate the former scenario was delivered more believably (in my opinion) and that's what makes the difference in a series like this (again, in my opinion). Also, I don't so much think people are arguing the intention behind the show (at the very least I wouldn't, who can honestly say they know?): rather, people are debating which aspects of the show are the strongest and most engaging. There appears to be a portion of the audience (which I belong to) that feels its best moments are found when it is grounded, straightforward and heartfelt (moments which arguably characterize the first two episodes), as opposed to being frivolous, mercurial and incongruous (need I specify to what I am referring at this point?). Obviously, there's what we want the show to be and there's what it is. We either watch it for those moments we enjoy or we disregard it for the moments we disdain.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

Big Hed wrote:
Wait, wait... So you didn't buy her transformation because it seemed closer to her character than Carl gave her credit for (I agree, by the way, in that she didn't strike me as entirely selfish)?

Um, yes, I think that's close to what I meant. I just didn't think of Ohana as selfish or irresponsible: on the contrary, everyone around her was and she actually seemed really compliant and fair-minded (I mean, if my mom had told me she was running off and sending me to live with a grandmother I didn't really know I'd have reacted much fouler).

I see where you're coming from now I think, although Ohana's progression through to the end of the first episode still seemed natural to me. In any case it was nice to see her efforts rewarded in subsequent episodes!

Quote:
Big Hed wrote:
I wouldn't call her decision to take a proactive attitude to her life "careless and discordant nonsense."

No, no, I was referring to the bondage/erotic writer scenario with that comment. I thought that Ohana's decision to be proactive set the series in the right direction; then she started letting some creepy stranger tie her up as part of this resolve and it felt like I wasn't even watching the same show.

Oh wow, I totally misread what you wrote there! No argument with that point...

Quote:
There appears to be a portion of the audience (which I belong to) that feels its best moments are found when it is grounded, straightforward and heartfelt (moments which arguably characterize the first two episodes), as opposed to being frivolous, mercurial and incongruous (need I specify to what I am referring at this point?).

Hear, hear. On that note I hope the show ends up being worth it for you. Smile
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
one of my favorites this season what gets me is the fact it it's getting 26 episodes total so there is no telling where the story is going to head this early. I absolutely love this show despite the flaws and the Female lead is slowly growing bit by bit like any good drama/slice of life anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I had no problem with Ohana being a bit whiny in the first episode. It seemed only natural to me, I guess we're all spoiled by ridculous and virtuous characters like Luffy. She seemed fairly toned down considering the shit she had to go through...

I havn't been enjoying it as much since the third episode, but I think its fairly decent. I also never had a problem with Toru, since he just seemed to be trying to give Ohana advice; even if it was harsh.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't dislike twit-san for what he's done to Ohana-chan, but mostly for how he treats tsundere-chan like trash. You can say it's for educational shit but I don't care. I also train and teach people sometimes, but I don't have to treat them so coldly to do so, in fact, in most circumstances people should learn much faster in a friendly environment. In other words, he's just being a twit.
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
one of my favorites this season what gets me is the fact it it's getting 26 episodes total so there is no telling where the story is going to head this early. I absolutely love this show despite the flaws and the Female lead is slowly growing bit by bit like any good drama/slice of life anime.

This show is also one of my favorites. I actually find the show to be quite quirky although there are times when Ohana positively annoys me because she can be so ridiculously dense. Interestingly enough, I am more captivated by her surrounding characters than I am with her. I do hope that the background issues such as Ko and her mother are not tied up in one episode and if there are indeed 26 episodes; then there is definitely more to come.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
Hanasaku Iroha is a straight-up youth drama...

Quote:
There's a wannabe tortured author who kidnaps Ohana and practices S&M rope-knotting on her...

wut

The preview guide got me interested in this series...but wacky hijinks? Really? That sounds pretty awful, actually.

yes, the preview was deceiving... but it was not reviewers' fault, since the start of the show was interesting...

I had to drop watching this series altogether once they had wacky or boring fillers going one after another...

only Bamboo Dong was foreseeing this and did not recommend this show... she was right...
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
We've had more than one person dropping the "s" word in this thread - in fact, this seems to be a general trends in the forums the past few days.

Just because that word isn't automatically filtered doesn't mean that you should be using it in polite company. (And we in these forums are polite!) Please avoid it in the future.

And for the record, Ohana is probably my favorite new character this year so far. What seems to annoy other people about her doesn't bother me at all. While I will admit that the more light-hearted twist that the writers put into some episodes was a bit jarring when it first showed up, I don't see that as a problem, either. Given the personalities involved, maintaining a completely serious story throughout seemed improbable anyway and the series still trends more to the serious side than the comedic side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Ohana really reminds me of your typical dense male lead, and more specifically Shirou from Fate/Stay Night. She isn't lacking in regular intelligence, it seems, but she is really bad at reading people. That, and she's really helpful, to the point where she tries to solve everyone's problems without being asked; but her main character flaw (see above) often means she gets in trouble for it, at least at first. But she doesn't let that get her down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2