• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Ships Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film BDs in Japan, U.S. on Same Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I like how Trust and Betrayal is $10 higher than Reflections and that garbage movie.

They know which one the fans will get.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
After their recent release of the Baccano Blu-Ray I'm beginning the think Ani-plex America may have some sane people who understand pricing structures in N. America. And as for Bakemonogatari and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, if this happens I'll be very happy. Hell, for a Blu-Ray Bakemonogatari I'd be willing (and at this point expect) to pay their high prices for it. But hopefully they get someone else to release it.

Last edited by The Count on Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I like that Kenshin OAV but not that much to replace my ADV DVD.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
So they're gonna use the ADV dub, but are these at least gonna get a re-translation, or are they gonna use ADV's subtitle track too? I'd kinda prefer they did a new translation.

Anyway, this is good news, since I had seriously considered importing the Japanese release of the OVAs. Now I can order an English release edition. The price is kinda high, but as I don't own these on DVD, I figure, it's about time, considering how many times I've seen them.
Blindheart

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I love the OVA's, but those are ridiculous prices, i'll just stick with my old DVD's for now. I would like to see a re-release of the TV series now. I never did pick that up back in the day Sad
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Blindheart wrote:
I love the OVA's, but those are ridiculous prices, i'll just stick with my old DVD's for now. I would like to see a re-release of the TV series now. I never did pick that up back in the day Sad

You can get the entire TV series at Rightstuf for under $100 right now.
infjeff

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
MADOKA AND BAKEMONOGATARI HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!

I am ecstatic. But this is AoA so that means no dubs, right?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Such great news with the Kenshin OVA BD releases. They are the kind of works that truly deserve the high-def treatment. As for Madoka Magica and Bakemonogatari, I'll say it again: Aniplex USA would be foolish for letting another company release either show. Especially the former, as the latter is owned by Kodansha internationally, but even so, Aniplex USA's success and proximity (business-wise, as a producer and distributor in Japan) should give them an inside track to releasing Bakemonogatari in North America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeguna

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Unless they get something I'm really excited for in the future I won't be paying those kind of prices for blu-rays anytime soon.
nokishoff

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Retracted

Last edited by nokishoff on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
nokishoff wrote:

Trust and Betrayal are good enough hard core fans will pick them up, but I doubt the other ova and the movie will sell well at these prices.

And it probably barely matters to Aniplex. As with KnK, these are the JP releases, just with the translated booklet thrown in. In the unlikely event they wind up with a large amount of unsold stock, they could always send them back to Japan and sell them there. It's not a very high risk venture for them. It's also the reason for the rather high price by US standards - they can't sell the same exact release in the US for a much lower price.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sat May 28, 2011 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari WHAT.

I never would have thought that would EVER be brought over here. Well, most stuff is broguht over or streamed nowadays so its not TOO surprising but still....
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
During its panel, Aniplex acknowledged that negotiations are ongoing for licensing both Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Bakemonogatari. Aniplex added, "Stay tuned."

To anyone who was there at the actual panel, did Aniplex specifically say they were going to be the ones to license Madoka/Bakemonogatari, or did they say they were in the process of negotiating with an interested licensor?
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
all i need now is a new Read Or Die series from aniplex and then I'm one satisfied anime watcher. Anime smallmouth
infjeff

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Quote:
During its panel, Aniplex acknowledged that negotiations are ongoing for licensing both Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Bakemonogatari. Aniplex added, "Stay tuned."

To anyone who was there at the actual panel, did Aniplex specifically say they were going to be the ones to license Madoka/Bakemonogatari, or did they say they were in the process of negotiating with an interested licensor?

When I first read the news I wondered that too. But would Aniplex USA be allowed to speak for another American company like Funimation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5