• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Green Green DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Arvintel (misspelled "Arventil" in the article, which sounds enough like lentil to be delicious!) is the only dubbing studio I know of that's based in Atlanta. MB usually only gives them hentai -- and they do a LOT of MB's hentai. They've been doing anime dubs for almost a decade... just, nothing people would put their real names on.

I can only guess they must work REAL cheap.

That would make sense as to why MB used them for the dub. Isn't Green Green based on a hentai dating game?

Now that you bring it up, that's excatly the reason this studio got the job....NO, not because the anime is based on a dating sim...BUT the 13th episode IS a Hentai OAV. I guess it makes sense for the studio to do the rest of the dub :shrugs:

And my opinion is pretty much the same as everyone elses, just not as negative. Yeah it's pretty bad, but I've spent excess money on worse things then Green Green.

Honestly, the only reason I bought it was to support anime based on a dating-sim/H-game/Hentai. Hopefully my little contribution will bring more fan-friendly titles over (especially with Rumbling Hearts coming up).
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:47 am Reply with quote
Actually, Dorothy Melendrez is in this as the doctor, but she's probably going under another name. She was pretty good in Green Green, but once I noticed Arvintel was behind this dub, I immediately cringed. Eiken and Detatoko Princess have some of the worst dubs in the history of anime.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quote
Green Green isnt the greatest show but when you're bored and really need to watch something stupid to take your mind away from the stresses of life, this show does the trick. I had watched a fansub when it first aired and the japanese VA's were excellant IMO. But the english? Meh! I am normally a dub watcher but it made me ill after about 2 minutes into the first episode. Mad

I'm also wondering if they are going to license the one shot hentai episode at the end. That was highly amusing, especially with the spoiler[peeking monkeys]
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Key wrote:
Anime Works farmed the ADR production out to Arventil Media Productions, whose lack of experience on major projects (they’ve only done a handful of titles, mostly short and obscure OVAs) really shows. It also doesn’t help that most of their vocal talent consists of complete or relative newcomers.

Yeah, looking at that cast list, to me it reads more like an equivalent to a low-class minor-league baseball team: very raw on talent and skills, with many of their players having little to no chance to making it to the major league. I couldn't recognize any of these actors save for Bryce Papenbrook, and the only reason why I recognize that name is because he's the son of the late Bob Papenbrook. He's probably the only one of the group that has the potential to become a very successful VA, and that's due to his pedigree.

That dubbing studio belongs to Ruben Arvizu, a low-profile Mexican voice actor and younger brother of Mexican voice-acting legend Jorge Arvizu (he voiced Fred Flintstone in the Mexican Spanish dub of "the Flinstones"). Curiously he only did some voice work in the U.S in Spanish and very few in Mexico (His most recent works is in the Spanish dub of the Powerpuff Girls movie as dubbing director)

About the translator (Jesus Vallejo) I'm really surprised that he is working as translator in the U.S. because he has only worked as translator in American animated series and he never translated anime here in Mexico.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I'm also wondering if they are going to license the one shot hentai episode at the end. That was highly amusing, especially with the spoiler[peeking monkeys]

Yeah, MB announced that they licensed the 13th episode back when they first said they had Green Green: hence why a studio that usually does hentai dubs is doing the whole show.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
I hadnt heard that. Thats awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2