• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Site: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: ASB Game Names to Match 'U.S./European' Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Kabakaba: Just point newbs to WKRP in Cincinnati on Wikipedia to read about an American equivalent to the problematic release of Jojo on DVD here.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I wouldn't jump the gun on the Japanese version just yet.

Unless the printed names on the screen are so important, I'd wait to see how the western version will play out. Will it be a more complete version with the DLC? It may be worth it to wait and find out.

In my case, I was waiting for the English version so I could afford it without cutting into my budget so heavily. I do have access to Japanese DLC and as of now, at least until it's gone, I do have access to a copy of it in Japanese for pretty cheap. So on a personal level, I have no actual need to wait. The printed names aren't a huge deal, but they're enough of a deal for me to decide to jump on that limited price for the Japanese version of the game.

wootsman wrote:

Thanks for the links! I'll read these later~
"...unlike the Naruto games..."
The passionate attention to detail and the accessibility (without sacrificing strategy) of the Naruto games are what made me excited to play this game. In actuality, I kinda suck at combo-based fighting games, so I'm nervous about Jojo, but I still wanted the game anyway. The Naruto games are more like my kind of style, since they don't lock up my fingers within a few short minutes of playing...

Quote:
You're an idiot. Buying a Japanese version of a game due harmless localizations makes you a moron.

And for the rest of you, name changes/localization in video games aren't big deals. In anime/animation, yes it is a big deal, but localization in games is okay.

...Ouch. Taking in what I said before and my actual ability to understand and read Japanese on an approaching-ly fluent level, I don't think my decision is "moronic." I realize small name changes aren't a big deal, but why pass up the chance? Almost every game I play nowadays is in Japanese anyway, so I lose nothing, since CC2 seems to be updating the Japanese game pretty thoroughly. It's similar to the reason I bought Project DIVA F in Japanese. The English romanization at the bottom of the screen is really REALLY distracting to someone like me, who can read the actual Japanese without a fluke, while the romanization is a lot harder to understand (and not to mention, the font stands out more to me).

It's a personal decision. I'm not blaming anyone for the localization changes. You can respect my decision, too, right?
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
@Juno016 I can understand importing a game, if the gameplay is altered, but that doesn't happen anymore. It hasn't happened since a few One Piece games. My Japanese friends imported COD MW2, since it(the Japanese version) altered the gameplay, as well as another game which altered gaemplay, but the NA version did not alter gameplay. It's not a big [expletive] deal. It's just a game. No difference. If you prefer a Japanese cast over a dub cast, then there's probably gonna be a voice option, which doesn't matter anyways, since this is a fighting game, not an anime. Two, this is still a fighting game. Who reads in a fighting game? It' about the damn fighting. 3. Games are supposed to be localized, so people can understand it. Get it?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
@Juno016 I can understand importing a game, if the gameplay is altered, but that doesn't happen anymore. It hasn't happened since a few One Piece games. My Japanese friends imported COD MW2, since it(the Japanese version) altered the gameplay, as well as another game which altered gaemplay, but the NA version did not alter gameplay. It's not a big [expletive] deal. It's just a game. No difference. If you prefer a Japanese cast over a dub cast, then there's probably gonna be a voice option, which doesn't matter anyways, since this is a fighting game, not an anime. Two, this is still a fighting game. Who reads in a fighting game? It' about the damn fighting. 3. Games are supposed to be localized, so people can understand it. Get it?

You don't have to understand it or agree with it. I know all this already. I'm not being an elitist about my decision. Just respect it. That's all I ask.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The only thing that I am really scared of is how the English voices are going to sound, if there will be an English dialogue version at all. Jojo is a series I love dearly and to hear the voices sound off putting could put me off from playing the U.S. version.

It's been reported that they will keep the Japanese dubbing and sub everything else in English.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine wrote:
Also, nobody buys games in Japanese, unless they're Japanese. People play games in their language. So that only solidifies your lack of intelligence.

...I really shouldn't argue with this kind of logic. I'm not going to insult you for your beliefs, but I have my reasons for playing games in Japanese. I gain a lot of value out of playing non-translated versions of games. In this particular case, I'm actually buying the game more for the fact that it has the Jojo label and is made by CC2, with a good aesthetic touch and particular detail to the manga and anime, than because it's a fighting game. I like Jojo and seeing the name changes is off-putting to me, as I've been reading the series in Japanese since the beginning. I personally enjoy and prefer the Japanese. I do NOT hold it against others who enjoy it in any other language, nor do I think it is a bad thing to adapt something to other languages and cultures. I DO disagree with the whole copyright issue, which is why I personally think it is a stupid, but necessary evil. However, since I have the capacity to buy the game in Japanese for cheaper than I can buy it when it comes out in English, and get the game months before its English release, this particular article helped me solidify the Japanese purchase. The name change wasn't the sole reason, and my only other concern was/is the DLC in the Western release, but I'm less concerned about that than the price for the game itself. And the experience of playing it in Japanese.

Like I said, you don't have to care for, agree with, or understand my logic, since your logic fits your own circumstances perfectly well and I have no right to tell you you're wrong. But I'd appreciate it if you didn't insult my intelligence just because you don't have the same mindset as me. I still support localizations. I just don't do so with my own money as much anymore, since importing itself is expensive enough as it is. Instead, I recommend my friends, who don't have the luxury of understanding Japanese like I do, to buy the English versions of the games when/if they are released here.

Quote:
You're so foolish. It's a fighting game! What do voices have to do with the gameplay? All that yell out is "dora!" or "oraoraora" or some shit like that. I can't believe "gamers" today are such imbeciles.

It's a JoJo fighting game. It's a fighting game for those who are fans of fighting games and it's a JoJo game for those who are fans of JoJo. Some people buy games for more than just the gameplay. Otherwise, I would've given up on games long ago, as I tend to suck at a lot of the games I love to play.
Not to mention, the characters in this particular game don't just yell out moans and groans. They have particular lines that the creators of this game put a lot of attention into in order to make them stand out without interfering too much in the gameplay itself. Since the majority of fans of JoJo are actually really interested in those aspects of the game, an English dub might feel off-putting to them, too. I believe that's the reason the localization team isn't dubbing it in the first place (to our knowledge).
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
MentalMachine, I'm gonna tell you this now: You need to tone it down with the insults and personal attacks.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them an idiot. If you keep acting the way you are now, the mods are gonna make you go sit in the corner.

Just some food for thought. Confused
paperfanofdoom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how they'll be able to localize the names and keep it in it's original Japanese voice track, especially when you have characters that scream out Aerosmith, Red Hot Chili Peppers, ACDC, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Sex Pistols, King Crimson, Beach Boys, Prince's songs, and so on. They could just Katakana everything like Esidisi and Erosumisu or let some names like Kiss, Wham, Cars, and Iggy pass for the sake of being just regular words, but from all the band names and song titles they have to fix around with all of the unedited Japanese voices, Namco's got dreadful tasks ahead of them and they won't be executed under budget.
wootsman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

wootsman wrote:

Thanks for the links! I'll read these later~
"...unlike the Naruto games..."
The passionate attention to detail and the accessibility (without sacrificing strategy) of the Naruto games are what made me excited to play this game. In actuality, I kinda suck at combo-based fighting games, so I'm nervous about Jojo, but I still wanted the game anyway. The Naruto games are more like my kind of style, since they don't lock up my fingers within a few short minutes of playing...

No I meant they never bothered to patch the games once they're out.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
It's the return on Yamdakun!

Anyway, I bet the western release will have Japanese audio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Those OVA's aren't exactly "recent" though.

Neither is Detective Conan's American release, but the Crunchyroll subs still insist on calling it "Case Closed" when it's parodied in Gintama. I care more about accuracy than "consistency", especially when the fans seem to prefer the "inconsistent" Japanese names for these kinds of things.

MentalMachine wrote:
Loads of American/British games have name changes to Japanese

Could you do me a favor and list these 'loads of American/British games'? While I'm sure you can name a few, I believe you'll find the majority of localizing names comes from America removing traces of Japanese in games rather than the reverse. This is the first time I have seen someone assert Japan does this in any noticeable quantity.

-Stuart Smith
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
wootsman wrote:
No I meant they never bothered to patch the games once they're out.

Oh. Well... in that case, I really don't know. If there was something really wrong with the game, I suppose it was this. That said, I've found strategies against most characters, even when those characters were overpowered or cheap, so it never bothered me, personally, as much. Still glad they're doing it for JoJo, though.

Quote:
Could you do me a favor and list these 'loads of American/British games'? While I'm sure you can name a few, I believe you'll find the majority of localizing names comes from America removing traces of Japanese in games rather than the reverse. This is the first time I have seen someone assert Japan does this in any noticeable quantity.

Indeed. In fact, it makes sense when you have fictional, animated characters without a visible nationality, as we see in most anime-style games and such. But American games tend to carry more realism to the looks, so applying Japanese name to Western characters would be more of an "insult" to a lot of Japanese players. I don't think the'd do that...
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:

-Stuart Smith

Maybe in the 1990s, but not anymore. In fact, most American translations of games today are TOO close to the Japanese versions.

As for changes, if we're using the 90s to prove a point, then

Click-Clack to Beetle
Krow to Zocky
King Zing to King B
Kiddy Kong to Dinky Kong
Sheepy (from Land III) to Kuma-san in the Japanese version of Donkey Kong Country.

A shit ton of western games get heavily altered and changed. It's ironic how something that has declined in recent years(Westerners changing Japanese shit) still gets more brought up than more recent findings like Japanese altering gameplay and violence. Names aren't really changed, but for games like Halo, COD and others get demolished in Japan, though for some reason it's not okay when declining westerners do the same and it's considered as "justified revenge" when Japanese do it.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
It's the return on Yamdakun!

Anyway, I bet the western release will have Japanese audio.

As I just mentioned before, it will contain Japanese audio with English subs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
Should also add that The Decline of Western Civilization is another series which has yet to be released on DVD, due to having to clear bands and their songs. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2