• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga Cut Short Due To Author's Health

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Why are people making a big deal LNs are added as well? What did you want her to title it, 7 written works having a strong focus on Japanese animation, writing, and art style where the authors died tragically? I think the point was just to make a list encompassing tragic deaths, but there is no unviersal terms to refer to all the works and it would get kind of wordy to always include every possible type: LNs, Manga, Anime, webcomics, etc. etc.

Im glad Kaze no Stigma got recognized, its a really good fantasy shonen that reminds of Flame of Recca a lot, both of which IMO are better shonen works than a lot of the current ones. Besides technically there was a manga going on as well, not to mention the anime, both of which probably were cut short due to the authors death. I mean the anime is able to save some face with a adventure goes on ending rather than a straight up cliff hanger, but the work never really got to far into the plot revolving round the shadow organization.

Didn't Zero's author actually finish the last volume technically? Yes he cut short the original volume amount, but storywise it was wrapped up. Then again who knows what route he would have taken if he never had been diagnosed with his cancer.

Id also like to put a special mention to the creator of Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I don't know the details, but the rumor is he died in a car crash and had been intending to continue the work. I think the ovas are kind of a mess like they are because of that.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there was no mention of Beet. One of the two Authors, Koji Inada, who was the artist, has been ill since 2006 and been hospitalized on and off I believe. He might not have died (and is still alive), but his health has definitely impacted the manga. Maybe it hasn't officially "ended", but there has not been a chapter for over 7 years.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
NANA would definitely make my list. The last I heard was that the author got out of the hospital years back but I guess she's done with the series and manga in general.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention there are a lot of other series that were rushed to completion because of the author's health. (The Alive: The Final Evolution manga comes to mind, since I liked that series, but the ending was insanely rushed. Not to mention the chilling last few lines of the series, considering the author died a few months after it's completion.)

It sounds like being a Japanese manga artist or light novelist is bad for your health.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
It sounds like being a Japanese manga artist or light novelist is bad for your health.

And this is why there's so many oversights. If you make light novels or manga, no matter how popular your work is in Japan, it's about as risky a job as construction work, piloting planes, and being a drummer for a rock band (especially if that band is Spinal Tap).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
To add to the list of notable mentions (though it's not a manga), how about Guin Saga? It had 130 volumes written over 30 years until the writer, Kaoru Kurimoto, passed away.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
You forgot With The Light: Raising an Autistic Child.

This was the first one I thought of as well. A touching and insightful work that was tragically cut short well before Hikaru could grow into the "healthy, working adult" his mother knew he could be. Tobe cared so much about the series that even as she was on her deathbed, she scribbled out storyboards for a rushed final volume just so it could have some kind of conclusion at least.
Emichan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
The main girl in Itazura na Kiss is named Kotoko, not Kanoko.
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Hear, Hear!

That was the first one that popped to mind when I saw the link for this column. I really liked the first few omnibus volumes put out, and was saddened to hear the news of its manga-ka passing away. I'm disappointed to not see that mentioned while works that were primarily light-novels to begin with (Kaze no Stigma & Zero no Tsukaima) get considered. Then again, I guess a lot more people are familiar with those than With The Light...

Same here I was hoping this had made the list.

It was the first Manga I read, & I've all but the last volume.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the anime ending to ItaKiss was the one Tada had originally planned...though even if that's true, we still miss all the stuff leading up to . Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Princess_Irene on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series follows the academically-challenged Kanoko and her relationship with the emotionally distant yet brilliant Naoki.

It's Kotoko, not Kanoko.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Whelp, now I'm sad.

I was unaware Kenji Nakamura had plans to continue Barefoot Gen but scrapped them, I thought it ended at ten volumes. With the Light would've been a better choice (at least the arc ending was planned out and Yen put it in their release, but if she had planned to continue past there, which I think I heard she did, then yeah, unfinished)
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget "Saiyuki" creator Kazuya Minekura on-going health issues and Tohjoh Asami died before she could finish "Denkou Sekka Boys"
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
Let's not forget "Saiyuki" creator Kazuya Minekura on-going health issues and Tohjoh Asami died before she could finish "Denkou Sekka Boys"

I thought of Saiyuki too. I would love to know how the Goku/Nataku arc was intended to end.

Like other readers posted, I thought of Nana too.

Doesn't HunterxHunter keep getting delayed for health issues too? I know there are only seven spots on the list. Just wondering...
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
RichardFromMarple wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Hear, Hear!

That was the first one that popped to mind when I saw the link for this column. I really liked the first few omnibus volumes put out, and was saddened to hear the news of its manga-ka passing away. I'm disappointed to not see that mentioned while works that were primarily light-novels to begin with (Kaze no Stigma & Zero no Tsukaima) get considered. Then again, I guess a lot more people are familiar with those than With The Light...

Same here I was hoping this had made the list.

It was the first Manga I read, & I've all but the last volume.

Seriously! that was the first manga I ever saw end so abruptly due to the creator dying. And it was good till the very end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5