• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FLCL Ultimate Edition Details

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
I find it odd people are bashing this based on its price. It's a much better deal than the old FLCL DVDs which were $30 each when they came out.

I agree, especially since Synch-Point recently announced that the single volumes of FLCL will be discontinued, and thus the Ultimate Edition set will be the only version of the OAV available to retailers once they sell out the single volumes.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I [b]might]/b] ask for this for either Christmas or my birthday. Right now I'm saving up to buy the first 4 Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 DVD's, since I bought volumes 5 & 6 used at my local Wherehouse Market for $5.99(Volume 5) and $7.99(Volume 6).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Not bad. Having been a rabid fan from AS, but never owning it, this is a good deal.

Especially compare to the bloody ripping two-eps DVDs they used to have. At least I can justify to myself that the 70$ is getting me the entire series I love so much.

I've never been big on extras, though. Never that obsessive as an anime fan, all I care about is the show itself.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
I've never been big on extras, though. Never that obsessive as an anime fan, all I care about is the show itself.

Same here. I'm not an extras guy either, but something inside me kept telling me that my anime collection would be incomplete without obtaining FLCL. The $29.95 price tag for a two-episode DVD was the main reason why I didn't buy FLCL when I first started collecting anime. The price tag and the goodies contained in the set are too delicious for me to pass up.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Amazing, but typical. I'll get the set because

1. I wish to support the anime industry when a title I like is licensed (yea, I have terrabytes of anime, but I also purchase the DVDs too) and

2. I think this will be a worthy item in quality and "wow" power.

Value is relative.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
Oh man, and after I finally got the elusive box for the set.
Crap.

Crap, indeed; I see those go for around $70 on ebay all the time. Maybe if you put it up on ebay right quick before word gets too far around about this new boxset release, you might get high bids from unwitting people. Otherwise, you might get 20 bucks out of it. I feel for you, friend.

Anyhow, with all the extras with this new FLCL boxset, $69.95 is almost a bit low, seeing as a liscensed t-shirt alone could MSRP for around $18.99. And, seeing as the $69.95 is the MSRP, I wouldn't doubt being able to score one for around $49.99 somewhere on the internet at all. Or perhaps with preorders. I'm marking off Nov. 21 on my calendar for sure.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Pricey, for only 6 Episodes..they shoulda done a HD-DVD release later on.

Which will probably happen later on.....hell if Synch point feeling really special they could realize both an HD-DVD and Blue Ray version.
Kidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
goddamn I'm so gonna buy this IF it comes out in the UK... screw it I'll buy the region 1 anyway! I knew I didn't buy the original FLCL DVD releases for a reason Anime smile
NieA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Bonus items include:
- FLCL T-Shirt Postcard (Redeemable for one (1) t-shirt, size Small

Thank God you can actually choose the size for once, I hate how most other companies stick a Size XL shirt with box sets.

I'll definitely be pre-ordering this baby once I get the money, and I'm really glad that I waited instead of buying the regular DVDs. I thought,"EEK! Expensive!" at first but considering all the extras you get with it, it's a bargain!
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
NieA wrote:
biliano wrote:

Bonus items include:
- FLCL T-Shirt Postcard (Redeemable for one (1) t-shirt, size Small

Thank God you can actually choose the size for once, I hate how most other companies stick a Size XL shirt with box sets.

Yeah, I was going to ask you guys earlier today about this, but I got sidetracked with other stuff. So what do you think about Synch-Point's decision to include a T-Shirt postcard to be exchange for a T-Shirt of any size of your choosing? Personally I think it's an excellent idea, and if it proves to be successful, you might see other companies take Synch-Point's lead and do the same thing. A drawback, though, is that some of the international customers might not be able to take advantage of the offer.
Southcross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
NeonGEvangelion wrote:
Sounds nice, but having already owning the series, seems a bit expensive to burn money on. The extras are nice, but they arent enough for me to drop 70 bucks on.
exactly Wink

own it... love it... not going to spend $70 just to get a Tshirt and a bunch of stickers
RyoShin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I've been wondering if they had a box set for a while (never bothered to check in on it), and now that they're releasing this with all the cool extra stuff, I'm in.

$70 is a bit pricy for a 6-episode series, but the extras look to be worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
The quality of anime is worth the price even thought it is only 6 episodes.
looking forward to it ( don't like pre-orders )
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote
I think i'll wait for this one to show up on half.com along with that nifty new neon genesis set (yes i'm one of the 5 people that still hasn't bought the show).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote
Shoot, I kind of regret buying the old discs + the box for $90 at a con, which I did because I didn't think I'd ever be able to get that box otherwise. Ah well, I'm sure I can find some poor sucker ... I mean fellow fan to buy them from me for $50 to help finance the new ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3