• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight -Buddy Complex

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm interested in Buddy Complex. I've always said that I'm not really into mecha anime, but then I watch a bunch of it, and love all of them, so I'm definitely checking this one out! Sunrise last mecha anime, Valvrave was absolutely fantastic!

I'm hoping this series is a longer one, I like my mecha shows to have time to develop everything beyond the typical 24-26 episode series.

Agreed, I like my mecha shows to be longer as well for the same reason.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
Mechs look interesting, but i'm sure they'll be using cgi so thats a huge turn off for me.

Guess i'll have to wait a couple more years for a decent gundam to get my hand drawn mecha fix.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Holy shit! Hand drawn mecha!!!!

You don't see that too often anymore sadly. Some of the cuts used CG, but most of them didn't!!! I'm suddenly pretty excited about this Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Holy shit! Hand drawn mecha!!!!

You don't see that too often anymore sadly. Some of the cuts used CG, but most of them didn't!!! I'm suddenly pretty excited about this Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Someone isn't watching Gundam Build Fighters.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
^ I've always had a kind of interest in watching Gundam stuff, but I never really am able to figure out the best initial point of attack. My friend showed me an episode of Gundam Unicorn, and it looked really cool, but also looked like it relied on some general Gundam understanding that I don't have.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Having knowledge of Gundam franchise isn't required to enjoy Gundam BF,some of the references can be amusing though.If you like your 2D mecha action scenes go and see BF,it has mecha animation Buddy Complex can only dream of.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
^ I've always had a kind of interest in watching Gundam stuff, but I never really am able to figure out the best initial point of attack. My friend showed me an episode of Gundam Unicorn, and it looked really cool, but also looked like it relied on some general Gundam understanding that I don't have.

yeah, Gundam Unicorn might not be a good entry point as it takes place within an established universe and not having some familiarity with UC would probably be a problem.

Build Fighters is built on adoration for existing shows, so there is a lot of fanservice in that sense, but it in no way requires familiarity with them. If you want a more serious Gundam series, for the Universal Century timeline (which Unicorn is part of), you could start with the movie trilogy, just read a general plot summary of the original story and watch Zeta, or watch one of the other OVA series. I'd recommend 08th MS Team, which focuses on one tiny area of the war and doesn't require any broader knowledge of the universe.

For Alternate Universe (AU) titles, if you're sticking with licensed titles, I'd say just go with Gundam SEED (but don't watch Destiny, the sequel) or Gundam 00. If you want super-robot style Gundam, watch G Gundam. If you're willing to watch fansubs, try Gundam X or Turn-A.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
GBF is still a dumb card game-esque show, but all of the awesome women and Gundam cameos in the series make it pretty nice to watch. Rinko's gonna be everywhere this Comiket.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Buddy Complex is making me nervous.
It looks so happy. Watch it end up being a brutal tearjerker like Valvrave. (Also don't complain about Valvrave until you watch the second season because it's amazing).
But yeah, I hope Sunrise really is putting more female-targeted fanservice in their shows. If you look at the merchandise for Valvrave, you can tell it's targeted to fans who think L-elf is pretty, but like... is it too much to ask that in Akito pt 3, Akito and Suzaku both get shirtless scenes? Very Happy

Speaking of which... Bizon. Yes. Favorite already.
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
My budget off-season Sunrise mecha show couldn't possibly be this generic~
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
Am I looking at the same preview article as y'all are? I ask because normally comments about yaoi go hand-in-hand with character design featuring lithe dudes with sharp features, flowing hair and a general look of a Lord of the Rings-esque elf.

In this article all I see are a bunch of generically-drawn, young-looking dudes with no feature definition. They look like overgrown versions of the male stereotypes from kids' shows like Yugioh TBH. This is almost what I would call "male moeblob". Please fangirls, don't lower your standards (I guess after Hetalia's success I should have known that its artstyle would be sampled...).

I'm asking in case I need to upgrade my "yaoi heuristic" as I am incapable of judging a male's "attractiveness" (I can't even conceptualize the concept) for myself, I have to rely on the fangirl-defined criteria to maintain awareness of any and all yaoi-fodder series. Looking at this art, something like Phi-brain could be yaoi fodder...
KaitoDoku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have a legal streaming link to Buddy Complex?
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first episode. It's the typical space invasion with MC piloting the mecha to fight for his home. Still, despite similarities with Valvrave, the white haired Dio showed more emotions than L-elf in the entire series, so there is room for characterization
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hey ANN, You're not supposed to Spolight the show unless someone streams it. Prehaps you should remove the spotlight because it has been not legally streaming. This is the first time that happend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2