• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney's Frozen, 'Mr. Hublot' Win Animated Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
I have watched almost all the nominees, and I must say Frozen really deserves the award. Frozen is quite an unusual and non-standard for a Disney princess story, and the plot twist is really unexpected.

Since this is an anime site and forum, I guess most of people here would be pro to Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. The Wind Rises is beautifully done and all (and it has historical value too), but it just didn't have enough impact (at least for me).

Statements like these seem a bit confusing to me. Frozen deserves the win because it, according to you, is unusual and non-standard 'for a Disney Princess story'? This indicates that it's merits lie in the fact it took steps outside of an established comfort zone, but not enough to actually escape the label of said comfort zone. Comparing that to an even more non-standard and unusual movie, in this case a film about the inventor of a plane that would be used for war, it would sound like that should win if we are using non-traditionalism as a barometer for what deserves to win. Are we merely using this award as a reward for the idea that Disney might be taking its first baby steps outside it's own comfort zone, while ignoring the number of directors and studios that have already done so and have been experimenting with the medium of animation for decades now and have nothing else to prove?

Whenever I read articles that express similar fascination over minor deviations to an established formula, I wonder how they would react if you showed them a movie like Perfect Blue, Nausicaa, or Grave of the Fire Flies which would perhaps shatter their preconceived notions of animation. Or perhaps the fact they are not American films means their content matter means little, as we have long established anime is a vast and diverse medium where such content is perfectly acceptible, so it is no longer worth mentioning or rewarding what can be considered the standard of the medium. Perhaps Japan making Paprika is not cause for celebration, but if Dreamworks abandoned their reputation as a studio for comedy movies for children and made it, it would be considered a monumental achievement? I suppose it asks what kind of standards were should use to judge and compare these films
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Honestly, Frozen probably got the votes to win because the voters didn't bother to watch much else. I don't mean this as a quality judgement on Frozen, just on the insularity of Oscar voters.

Case in point:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/definitive-proof-that-academy-voters-are-ignorant-about-animation-96680.html
grouwl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
FROZEN won because it was an american children-friendly movie with a lot of cultural comedic jokes, familiar characters, empowered women, monsters, adventure and cute stuff with a great plot, you all got 600 american voters of the academy, go figure .

The wind rises was too serious and adult oriented, Children (and many of the short attention-span Otaku here) would get seriously bored at the plot and character development, a movie without fights, talking creatures or adventure whatsoever.

Ernest and Celestine its a damn good tender movie that's also for Children and adults, I saw it and fell in love for it, but it had tough competition but still worth it.

Last edited by grouwl on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
I have watched almost all the nominees, and I must say Frozen really deserves the award. Frozen is quite an unusual and non-standard for a Disney princess story, and the plot twist is really unexpected.

Yeah, the prince showing up was a bit unexpected, seeing as THERE WASN'T EVEN ONE IN THE ORIGINAL STORY!!!!!! Razz
What, they put one in just so she could feministically not marry him at the end?....I mean, why stop there? Let's get some all-girl ninjas in there, while we're at it!

Guile wrote:
Statements like these seem a bit confusing to me. Frozen deserves the win because it, according to you, is unusual and non-standard 'for a Disney Princess story'? This indicates that it's merits lie in the fact it took steps outside of an established comfort zone, but not enough to actually escape the label of said comfort zone.

While Miyazaki, OTOH, took the bold, daring, self-challenging step of making a movie about big famous planes, and how much simpler life was before the war... Rolling Eyes

Eisenmann V wrote:
Honestly, Frozen probably got the votes to win because the voters didn't bother to watch much else. I don't mean this as a quality judgement on Frozen, just on the insularity of Oscar voters.

At this point, Frozen was reduced to an Oprah-following song with a movie attached. There was no standing in the way of the Cult Hordes.

(And every time I hear cult fangirls saying how "empowering" and "liberating" The Holy Song is, I keep feeling like I'm missing something--
Uh, hello, we did notice that it's being sung by a character who's building an ice fortress to hide from the outside world???? Confused )

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Don't think anyone was cheering for Miyazaki's failure, but his movie was more controversial than his normal fare, and too many people wanted him to get it, because he is retiring. When is he not retiring.......

Yeah, I was cheering for Madoka Magica, because I liked it better than The Wind Rises. But like most people thought, Frozen was the juggernaut no one was going to beat.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
PMMM: Rebellion winning an Oscar was about as likely as Serenity was to win Best Picture.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
Tars: He got a prize for Spirited Away, so he's still good.

Personally, I think the Disney people should enjoy that win while they can, because now they share the same burden as Miyazaki: being able to come up with a follow-up as well-received as Frozen the way he had to after Spirited Away's win. Cool And if he had gotten another Oscar, he probably wouldn't know what to do next, and might even be forced out of retirement. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
Disney Animation Studio's only first Oscars.

Eisenmann V wrote:

Case in point:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/definitive-proof-that-academy-voters-are-ignorant-about-animation-96680.html

Heh, that's why should put more stock on the Annie Awards, which are run and voted by animators.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/asifa-hollywood-annie-award-2014-winners-complete-list-95586.html

EricJ2 wrote:
shiranehito wrote:

Yeah, the prince showing up was a bit unexpected, seeing as THERE WASN'T EVEN ONE IN THE ORIGINAL STORY!!!!!! Razz

Oh come now, Hans Christian Andersen's Snow Queen had a boy love interest. Even Miyazaki's girl wasn't, and that one was based on history. Besides, he wasn't needed. Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
While the other nominees... The Croods, it just doesn't have enough appeal. Despicable Me 2, most of people would just watch it because of the overrated minions.

Yeah, no doubt. I really like those movies (especially the first one) but the minions are actually the least funny part of them.

Tenchi wrote:
Every year that Hayao Miyazaki has had a film nominated, I liked at least one of the competing films more (yes, I'm in the minority who didn't care much for Spirited Away, which I found disjointed and scattershot).

Well, you may be in the minority but you're not alone. Spirited Away is okay. I don't dislike it. But I think your criticism is right on. It's really all over the place.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: Please. The Annie Awards are just as corporate as the Oscars. They just have more fans of animation in general making decisions.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Though I don't like Frozen as much as other Disney animations like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beasts, Lion King, Tangled, etc..., it still deserves to win in the category and I'm very happy it won 2 Oscars. (Just because Disney's animations aim at a younger group of audience, that doesn't make their creations inferior to anime.)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Eh I did not think Wind had much of a chance because I don't think the category means what it should. I think the winners are usually best family film versus actually best film in the animated medium. I mean sure something like Toy Story 3 or UP won, that had some subtle and deeper meanings/messages, but you could argue they probably would be glossed over by the majority of their audience kids. The works that steer more strongly towards an older audience like Persepolis, Waltz with Bashir, Illusionist, Tokyo Godfathers and Wind Rises just have no chance.

Its kind of like how certain genres like Horror, Fantasy, Sci Fi will pretty much never to rarely be recognized for any significant awards.

Then of course there is the bias of basically no non Ghibli film being nominated from Japan. I mentioned one film earlier, but Sathoshi Kon was never nominated despite works like Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika.

Also the unfortunate thing for Miyazaki was that most of his best works came before the advent of the Best Animated award. It started in 2001 which means he missed with Mononoke, Nausica, Totoro etc. I mean I would have to think he could have won as many as 5 in my opinion had the award started earlier. He also had Kiki's, Castle of Cagliostor, and Castle in the Sky. I also personally its a travesty that Nightmare Before Christmas has no oscar for the same reason, because the award was not out yet. Akira is another one you would like to think might have had a chance if it came out later.

I mean Disney was a Oscar darling with 22 wins. How did it take them that long to make that category.

At the end of the day I still think Frozen is a pretty good film, and if you were going to give the award to an American film it was probably the best choice. But I don't think the best film won.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
I'm Glad frozen won, but I do agree that Wind Rises as well as Ernest & Celestine deserved the award just as much as it did. But hey, what's in an award. All 3 are good films in their own right, and an award or lack there of doesn't change that.

Let It Go deff deserved its award though. Great song.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
I have to say Ernest & Celestine was a much more compelling movie than frozen in every way possible. Frozen had cookie cutter designs from Tangled and a sub par story. While Ernest & Celestine had a beautiful story and gorgeous animation.

I can't however comment on the animated shorts.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Then of course there is the bias of basically no non Ghibli film being nominated from Japan.

At the very least, "Possessions" was given a spot this year for animated shorts, and it was a very worthy contender, too. Though the other films were just as engaging, so that one at least had a LOT of good competition to justify its loss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6