• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Schedules Servant x Service DVD Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
u_nick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Love love love the show. REALLY sad no Blu-ray. Will have to think about it.

I bought a few of their early DVDs in hopes they'd pay of in BDs later. It paid of for Toradora. But in this day and age where they've released plenty of BDs, heck, even a few BD onlys, i'm not sure what their plan is here.

I hear good praise regarding SxS already from the places you'd hope to hear it if you wanted a local release... More chatter than you'd expect for a slice of life show. Not really sure how to explain.

But yeah, i'll have to think about this one. Loved the show so much i just may be down for a double dip. Just not sure i should be anticipating it only to have my heart broken later.
Nionel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Eh. I can deal with it being DVD only, but $60 for a 13 episode sub only release? No thanks, most hybrid Funi Blu-ray sets cost less than that.

Aniplex needs to realize this isn't Japan and learn to price their releases more competitively, then I'll consider supporting their releases.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
Eh. I can deal with it being DVD only, but $60 for a 13 episode sub only release? No thanks, most hybrid Funi Blu-ray sets cost less than that.

Aniplex needs to realize this isn't Japan and learn to price their releases more competitively, then I'll consider supporting their releases.

I actually bought FUNi's Shakugan no Shana sets (S2 & S3, not counting the movie and the OVAs, which were all cheaper) for like $50 per set, and that included both disc formats. On top of that, the S1 set had its discs the same way, but it still cost only $30 (though it being older, previously dubbed, and already on the market probably helped).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well it was good and funny but not enough to buy it subbed only
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
I would still like to see Blast of Tempest get a BD release some day since it was a rather good looking show (and I think it's setting and staff involved should have garnered it a dub for more people to check it out).

True. A dub ought to have had garnered a bigger audience for, the more or less niche, Blast of Tempest. But the majority of that potential new audience was not going to pay Aniplex USA prices. Therefore, creating a dub for Blast of Tempest was going to be a waste of money for Aniplex USA.

BD would have been nice for Blast of Tempest, but I doubt it will happen in the future.

Yeah, probably not unfortunately.

The majority would have been scared away by the price, as per usual with Aniplex's generally crazy pricing, but I don't really think the modern setting, FMA-ish magic (particularly visually, probably thanks to BONES) with all those mysteries, stylish BONES animation, and Shakespearean stuff were overly niche in regards to dubbing.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
DVD set priced at blu ray set price ... typical Aniplex USA lame. Except, of course, that it comes with all those fantastic Aniplex USA extras that we've grown to love and cherish so much! Like a disposable slip cover and a "two-sided reversible cover"! Rolling Eyes

There's not enough demand for this title to let them be able to push an "import blu ray" (at some ungodly price) down fans' throats, so they'll opt for just a limited shafting.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what people are complaining about Working season 1 was dvd only by NIS and it looked fine. Same studio and author. I'll probably pick this up. Didn't love it as much as Working but I can afford it.

And it may be a hair cheaper through Rightstuf.

Can't we have a thread without people bitching about Aniplex and their pricing, guess hell will freeze over first.[/url]
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
There is still a significant difference even with simpler art and animation.

The background details and LINE SHARPNESS and thinness will be the advantages that the CR 1080p versions will have over the DVD.

Taking the DVDs and upscaling 480p to 1080p will just result in blurry, thick lines. With simpler animation, where there is not much movement on screen, this type of difference in character line and any artwork edge definition is even more obvious. It's the same reason why static text and static line art still look much better in native HD.

Unfortunately, you won't get animation corrections made to Servant x Service for home video. And there was one scene in a restaurant where I immediately noticed a mistake. I forget the details but it was a disappearing item on the table.

Nonetheless I will wait to see if they will have BDs in the future, like all other current Aniplex DVD releases.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I will try and pick this one up; although I didn't finish the series I really enjoyed what I did watch Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
Why don't people realise that a lot of us don't buy DVDs anymore? I stopped buying VHS in 99, and I stopped buying DVDs in 07. I'm not going to stick in the past. and the R1 needs to realize that too, spend a little extra more to persuade Japan because I'm not supporting these choices.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
Why don't people realise that a lot of us don't buy DVDs anymore? I stopped buying VHS in 99, and I stopped buying DVDs in 07. I'm not going to stick in the past. and the R1 needs to realize that too, spend a little extra more to persuade Japan because I'm not supporting these choices.

As a percentage, how many is "a lot"? Because whenever something is released BR-only, about a zillion people come out of the woodwork and complain that they can't buy it because they don't own BR players. These people can't see the point in moving to a more expensive format that offers little increase in the way of discernible video and audio quality. 576p and even 480p are perfectly fine on small TVs or computer monitors, which is what most people use. Unless you have 20/20 vision or better and sit five feet away from your 50" HD TV, you're unlikely to even notice a difference between the two whilst actually watching the show in a normal viewing environment.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
You need glasses or a new prescription if you think 480i and 1080p has little difference. I use a 1080p 32 inch tv and view it about 3-5 feet away. turning off all post processing upscaling on a DVD and then comparing it to a BD version is a night and day difference.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
I like blurays of everything just to avoid the dot-matrix-printer-quality subtitles you get on DVDs. Even if it is just an upscale.

But for a show like this, yeah, whatever. I don't think they'd sell enough of them to be worth the BD mastering cost.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
ArmyofDarkness wrote:
You need glasses or a new prescription if you think 480i and 1080p has little difference. I use a 1080p 32 inch tv and view it about 3-5 feet away. turning off all post processing upscaling on a DVD and then comparing it to a BD version is a night and day difference.

Of course there's a big difference between 480p and 1080p if you sit three feet away from your television. Duh. But normal people don't sit that close.

With a 32" TV, one only needs to sit eleven to twelve feet away for there to be no detectable difference to the average person between 480p and 2160p. [source] That's a long distance, true, more than what most students and apartment dwellers can fit into their rooms or even lounges. However, remember that scenario is between 480p and 2160p, which is as big a resolution disparity as the Gulf of freaking Mexico. Amazing resolutions don't mean squat if you are sitting too far away for the eyeball to properly discern them.

If you have the vision of a hawk or own something like a >100" HD projector then sure, 1080p is wonderful. But there's no way it is worth it for a mere 32" TV in a normal viewing environment with average vision. The fact that you have to sit three to five feet away proves my point wonderfully and fits in with the graph. Only at a mere four feet does an average viewer get the full benefit of 1080p over 720p. Add in the fact that most 1080p anime are actually upscales of native 960p and the benefits of 1080p become even more dubious except for certain elite titles.

I don't know if Servant x Service was made in 1080p but I'd be gobsmacked if it was. It really is a very mediocre show visually-speaking with a level of detail that can best be described as "adequate". Not awful by any means, but serviceable and nothing more. Watching it in 1080p on CR may make you happy but you're not getting a superior experience to someone watching it on DVD at 576p.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
garbage

Trying to talk to somebody who truly believes there is some kind of ASTOUNDING visual difference between watching a show like Servant x Service on BD vs DVD is like trying to explain to a cultist that, no, the world is not going to end at 11:32pm EST on ___day, June 13, 20--. Utterly pointless.

However, one of my hobbies is challenging massive stupidity regardless of the fact that it makes no difference and is a huge waste of time.

I found Servant x Service to be a funny comedy with quirky, engaging characters. You may not. However, if you share my opinion of the show, let me assure you that your enjoyment of it WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT be compromised one whit by some UTTERLY RETARDED consideration like, line sharpness or artwork edge definition (especially since the differences between formats is not as dramatic as the Blu-ray Moonies claim). If it is, please get yourself to a therapist pronto because you clearly have issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4