• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gundam Build Fighters Series Is Fall TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:
Gundam Unicorn's final volume just came out.

Unfortunately that was a disappointment.

Yes and no. The magic spoiler[ trip in time and spiritual conference with lalah, amuro and char was way way way stupid]. The political ending on the other hand was quite good. So in my opinion I'd give the final episode a 65-70% thumbs up.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The Box is hyped up as a wish/curse but we know it had no impact on the UC because of F91 and Victory.

So you wanted the authors to be constrained by series and events that happen way way afterwards in the future? Sunrise did the right thing to forgo any kind of connection with Victory and F91. There comes a moment when the burden of "consistency" in a timeline build over several decades is simply too much and cutting is needed. Witness what Disney is doing with all the expanded universe crap.

Unicorn is about the end of the Universal Century (as in the end of the Zabi family and all the events that swirl around it). It's as good a conclusion as anyone could wish.

And even if you don't like the ending, Sunrise did add in the story that revealing laplace's box secret could have or not have any influence whatsoever in relation to future events. So you got your back covered either case. Humanity is too stupid and falls again in the pattern of war and misery (-> Victory and F91). Humanity somehow sees the errors of its ways and starts a new path (Victory and F91 are irrelevant).
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Build Fighters was cute. I'm a little nervous that a second season will see it outstaying its welcome, but as long as it's lighthearted and fun and speaks to all corners of the fanbase like the first season, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Vaisaga wrote:
It wasn't terrible, but definitely not worth the 4 years. I watched all 7 episodes over 2 days (had to struggle to stay awake at times), and it has the same problems most light novel adaptations do. With no narration we miss out on half of the development so characters seem to do random things with little prompting (Riddhe was the worst for this). Banagher is pretty bland and nothing sets him apart from past Gundam leads. The Box is hyped up as a wish/curse but we know it had no impact on the UC because of F91 and Victory.

For episode 7 in particular, spoiler[Marida's death] was stupid, as was spoiler[everyone apparently forgiving Riddhe for it]. We've seen crazy NewType stuff before, but spoiler[time travel] was too much. The final battle between spoiler[Banagher and Full Frontal] was pretty meh, and we never learned what spoiler[Frontal's] deal was. Him suddenly becoming all spoiler["Everything is pointless, we all die anyways!"] came out of nowhere. Banagher spoiler[becomes the Unicorn or something, and then he just... doesn't.] And is it really too much to ask for a proper epilouge?

I don't think the finale was perfectly executed (and, in fact, it's right down there with episode 5 as my least-favorite of the series, keeping in mind that I don't dislike any of them), but I think it was worth the wait. I enjoyed watching, and the thematic and political resolutions were well-done and satisfying. It had some of the finest animation of an already well-animated OVA series, to boot.

Oddly, it was spoiler[Marida's death and ghost] that made me roll my eyes the most. Even over spoiler[the time travel,] which at least has precedent in the very first Gundam series spoiler[("AMURO! I CAN SEE TIME!")]. spoiler[I mostly get what they were going for with her death and how it affected Riddhe, but it was a rushed execution, and why her ghost should be able to reach everybody everywhere made no sense whatsoever.] In fact, much of that first battle felt rushed.

Meanwhile, spoiler[Frontal's nihilism] is foreshadowed in episode 6, but without context or knowledge of where he came from it's difficult to understand why he thinks that way, or why his ultimate fate is what it is. I agree with you on that front. And spoiler[Banagher fusing with the Unicorn] could have used a bit more emphasis and weight. The episode as a whole could have stood to be another half-hour or so, easily. But I really enjoyed what we got.

As for the rest of the series, I think that it works fine for viewers with an intimate knowledge of the UC end of the franchise and who really pay attention to the themes on display. I know lots of people who have gone in cold and loved it (for more than its robots and battles, to boot). It actually changed a fair deal from the novels to make the story a bit more cohesive to their aims, although the axing of most of the side politics left characters like Martha a bit flat in the end. Speaking of characters, I think Banagher is a great - maybe a bit bland, but his development is handled well over the course of the narrative - though I agree that Riddhe can be erratic (see episode 5 in particular). But it's a show that has given me lots to chew on for the past 4 years, and that I continue to like it and find new things to talk about on each re-viewing cements it as something truly special, in my eyes.

It's difficult to tackle it fresh, because I've seen it so many damn times, but I genuinely believe that it's the best installment in the franchise since, like, Turn-A. A worthy successor to the Universal Century indeed. I'd give like an 8/10 overall.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
So we're getting this and G-Reko in the same season? Hell yeah!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Just finished S1. It was not perfect but really enjoyable. Waiting for S2
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I originally wasn't into this show, just watched it see how good anime fighters were between the mobile suits. I found the overall arch amusing, its about fighting toys that happen to be from the Gundam universe.

Its comedy, and weird kind of sports show in away. I do agree poster above, this was pretty darn fast production get new season up in less than year. Hopefully they didn't cut any corners.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
That plot synopsis is for season one, not two.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Because nobody asked for a proper Gundam show or anything, yup lets continue turning Gundam into a Saturday morning cartoon..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2