• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Psycho-Pass 2's Scripts Overseen by Fafner's Tow Ubukata

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I have yet to see Mardock Scramble, but the first anime of Fafner was subpar, Le Chevalier D'eon was awful and the first episode of Arise I've seen was merely decent. I've been trying to give Ubukata chances, but he has been letting me down quite a lot, I'm really fearful of him taking over Psycho Pass. I only have 6 episodes left to see of the first season, but I thought it was rather good aside from the misquoting, unbalanced characterization and some overly melodramatic or poorly executed bits.

You are on drugs. Le Chevalier D'eon was better written than any of the stuff the other guy has done.
Ranho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Gen Urobuchi is not involved in the writing?! I might just have to give Psycho Pass 2 a watch then!

Maybe this writer'll make the characters appear more human and make the story develop more naturally. That plot detail with Tsunemori in which spoiler[she watched her friend get her throat cut only for her Psycho Pass not to rise because "uh, plot"] was just godawful writing on Puppet Master-san's part. It was pretty much another spoiler[Madoka Rewriting the Laws of the universe] moment.

Moeblobs do not suddenly grow balls just 'cause, kay?!!!!

I don't understand how people wouldn't find his work pretentious when you put such ridiculousness next to all the hoighty-toighty overly serious dialogue scenes.

Well, this is good news. Never seen Mardock Scramble but I'll bite.

He couldn't be worse than Puppet Master-san, right?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:
That plot detail with Tsunemori in which spoiler[she watched her friend get her throat cut only for her Psycho Pass not to rise because "uh, plot"] was just godawful writing on Puppet Master-san's part. It was pretty much another spoiler[Madoka Rewriting the Laws of the universe] moment.

Something tells me you didn't understand or care at all about what Psycho-Pass and Madoka were doing with those moments, let alone know how carefully they were built up to. I'm not going to tell you to rewatch them or change you feelings about them or anything, so don't take this as a personal attack, but if you ever get the chance to watch either of them again, you might want to pay just a bit more attention to the build up.

Personally, I'm a huge Urobuchi fan, but I don't know what else Urobuchi could add to this story. He said what he wanted to say and there's a lot of room for exploration now, but that sort of exploration isn't his cup of tea at the moment. I've read a bit of Mardock Scramble and it didn't particularly impress me, but it's a completely different genre. Aside from potential character behavior influence, I don't see that story affecting the writing of this one that much. I'm rather interested how a sequel to an Urobuchi story can turn out after being solidified.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The only Ubukata work I've seen is Le Chevalier D'eon and it's been years since I've seen it.

Regardless, I'm still looking forward to Psycho Pass season 2
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked Fafner, so I'll have some faith.
Ranho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Ranho wrote:
That plot detail with Tsunemori in which spoiler[she watched her friend get her throat cut only for her Psycho Pass not to rise because "uh, plot"] was just godawful writing on Puppet Master-san's part. It was pretty much another spoiler[Madoka Rewriting the Laws of the universe] moment.

Something tells me you didn't understand or care at all about what Psycho-Pass and Madoka were doing with those moments, let alone know how carefully they were built up to. I'm not going to tell you to rewatch them or change you feelings about them or anything, so don't take this as a personal attack, but if you ever get the chance to watch either of them again, you might want to pay just a bit more attention to the build up.

Personally, I'm a huge Urobuchi fan, but I don't know what else Urobuchi could add to this story. He said what he wanted to say and there's a lot of room for exploration now, but that sort of exploration isn't his cup of tea at the moment. I've read a bit of Mardock Scramble and it didn't particularly impress me, but it's a completely different genre. Aside from potential character behavior influence, I don't see that story affecting the writing of this one that much. I'm rather interested how a sequel to an Urobuchi story can turn out after being solidified.

You're not entirely wrong there in that my heart was off - it always is where Mr Urobuchi's writing is concerned - and so my brain followed suit, naturally. Please explain, though, particularly what events led to the thing with Tsunemori that elevates that moment past pure plot device.

Because I'm not convinced how Tsunemori's ordeal and the none-event that followed adds up when you consider that (1.) she was a rookie cop (2.) surrounded by hardened, seasoned professionals spoiler[who all fell to their psycho passes.]

You mean to tell me she has more grit than strong, silent-san, lesbian-san and co? When moments earlier spoiler[she was so shaken by fear she couldn't even aim a shotgun right.]

Seems to me like a typical Shounen Mecha Moment (you know, where the teenager is able to pilot the mech despite next to no experience because of hero glorification/BAMF purposes).

Sure, seeing all those crime scenes would've helped her develop a bit of a thick skin and desensitization to violence and whatnot but it can also be argued that that was because she was emotionally disconnected from the victims. But that spoiler[first half cliffhanger ending? It was [expletive] personal!] And spoiler[Tsunemori's fall] wasn't just the obvious thing to do it was the most logical next step in her progression as a character given what we knew about her personality and the society she grew up in.

Any good writer would've taken that opportunity to explore the society more deeply by throwing our proxy character into its system. We'd have at least truly felt how horrific it'd be to live in such a world as opposed to merely thought it. But no we get barely touched upon ideas spoiler[like the disgraced father and angry son team], spoiler[Shogou, who happens to be a sociopath/psychopath anyway] and spoiler[lesbian-san, whose backstory added next to nothing to the series or the idea it was trying to put across].

spoiler[At the very least, Tsunemori's none-character development happened with megane cop at the end of the series.] Why not Tsunemori? Because spoiler[she's one of the special few]? Screw that, Puppet Master-san, give those strings a rest!

spoiler[(it's funny because that plot point puts her in the same class as psychopaths and sociopaths and other low empaths. In which case why did seeing her friend die affect her? Oh wait, it didn't, not throughout the rest of the show anyway, her friend died so that we could find out Tsuenmori was special! Nice string pulling there Urobuchi-san.)]

In fact, I'd wager that the most powerful scene in that whole 22 episode show that encompassed its message quite perfectly was the moment spoiler[that woman was beaten to death in front of a crowd of people so passive some didn't even know what they were seeing.]

As for Madoka, don't even bother, nothing will convince me that that blob had the mental capacity to decide what she did, spoiler[knowledge of Homura's hell or otherwise].

PS. I conjure up imagery of puppetry when talking about Gen Urobuchi's writing because I'm trying to say he's narrative devices are too obvious. We can "see the strings" so to speak, in other words glean why he decided to take the story in a particular direction (usually to move the plot forward). Which is fine in itself where good writing is concerned...
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
I'm not too keen on the guy who is handling ARISE being the one to do the sequel here... He butchered the GiTs universe with that terrible attempt at a prequel and now he's handling a sequel to another dark show... I'm a weeee bit worried.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2